+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Extinction Rebellion

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Yes, a century or so after our industrial revolution and all the economic advantages it brought us, China are effectively being told they shouldn't being doing the same because we've now decided it's bad for the environment. No doubt it is, but you can understand why the Chinese are telling us to do one.
    China produces more CO2 per head than the UK does. That's despite a lot of the Chinese people producing very little.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
    I don’t know whether this is good enough to convince ‘agnostics’, but it certainly convinces me.
    360 years and temperatures may have increased by 1.5 degrees as we come out of an ice age. And that's after scientists have manipulated the figures

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/...uptodate_3.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Redrag View Post
    China produces more CO2 per head than the UK does. That's despite a lot of the Chinese people producing very little.
    The Chinks believe in coal fired power stations. Maybe the weirdo's from CE should make Beijing their main target of protest as well as West Virginia if they want real recognition. It would be a tasty confrontation no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
    I don’t know whether this is good enough to convince ‘agnostics’, but it certainly convinces me.
    A Government agency who have taken on climate research to justify the billions of pounds that are sent to them to not do any space exploration agrees with the portion of the evidence their jobs depend on? Shocker!

Some of the evidence is incredibly disingenuous. They conveniently leave off the sections of the graphs which evidence that not only are we in a low-carbon era historically speaking (actually, among the lowest ever epochs - and an era where the vegetation has struggled more than ever), but attribute temperature rises to carbon dioxide alone, ignoring the historical data which proves that the earths temperature has virtually no link to changes in atmospheric CO2 (as referenced in many extensive pieces of geological research (see picture - the blue line being average temperature and the purple line being CO2 concentration in the atmosphere). And again, the research fails to take into account Milankovitch cycles at all (especially given that we are edging into an era of the coinciding of 2 of their cycles) - something which virtually no one knows about but has been proved to be the key driver of climate and global temperatures (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GUcn07enz4 this is probably the most accessible video into it I have found - ignore the title, someone has just lifted it from elsewhere and I can't find the original).

Name:  carbon.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  41.6 KB

I don't believe that CO2 is the problem, in fact, the earth is naturally greening and arid places healing thanks to increased levels of CO2; however, we pump far more than CO2 into the atmosphere at record levels; Methane being something that is incredibly problematic, at least 30 times stronger than CO2 (some claims say 87 times over a 20 year staggered potency cycle), that breeds its own increasing concentration with help from us, and no one seems to care about it (probably because it would be hard to tax). My bet is that IF we are to blame, its more likely Methane than CO2 that was the culprit all along (in conjunction with Milankovitch cycles, which some estimates put as responsible for around 70% of climate change variance).

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    The Chinks believe in coal fired power stations. Maybe the weirdo's from CE should make Beijing their main target of protest as well as West Virginia if they want real recognition. It would be a tasty confrontation no doubt!
    Chinks??????

I've admittedly scrolled through this thread, rather than reading it all, but there's the usual "how dare they disturb my day by making me 5 minutes later when they could protest quietly" vitriol.

People who complain about what Extinction Rebellion are doing are the kind of people who would complain about being woken up on the Titanic by people shouting "iceberg" too loudly.

Personally I applaud their efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    I've admittedly scrolled through this thread, rather than reading it all, but there's the usual "how dare they disturb my day by making me 5 minutes later when they could protest quietly" vitriol.

People who complain about what Extinction Rebellion are doing are the kind of people who would complain about being woken up on the Titanic by people shouting "iceberg" too loudly.

Doing it the way they do it is probably the only way to get on the news. That doesn't hide the fact that some of them doing it are complete idiots though.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post

Let us hope you are not trying to get to hospital in an emergency then or you can't earn any wages to pay your bills etc.

I was always under the impression that Ice samples from both poles seemed to show that the last ice age started to become milder 19.000 years ago, and that this was mainly caused by increased solar radiation from the earth's changing position in it's orbit round the sun.
    The Human race has obviously gobbled up resources , and played fast,and loose with the planet, and needs a wake-up call, but I have never quite been able to differentiate between the impact, and contribution of the two influences.

As for ER , I suspect it's the usual mixture of the sincere, the " professional demonstrators", and celebrity posers, however they do seem to employ their human resources in more tolerant societies, and ignore more repressive, less forgiving , regimes where pollution is at it's greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    I was always under the impression that Ice samples from both poles seemed to show that the last ice age started to become milder 19.000 years ago, and that this was mainly caused by increased solar radiation from the earth's changing position in it's orbit round the sun..
    'Always ' as in since the day you were born ? Far out.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast