+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Extinction Rebellion

This has been another interesting thread and one that has encouraged me to research and reconsider my own environmental impact even more so than I had previously.

The UK government have set out a target carbon footprint per person of 10 tonnes by 2020. The current uk average is around 13.5 tonnes which I have since found out is roughly where I am. Interestingly the world average is circa 5 tonnes.

My biggest crime is quite obviously my current diesel guzzling choice of transport. I will be seriously considering swapping this in next year for a more environmentally friendly option.

Calculating your carbon/environmental footprint is a good place to start and there are many calculators online as well as those offered by your energy supplier. I quite like this one from the WWF (animals not wrestlers!) https://footprint.wwf.org.uk/#/

DOHA, Qatar — It was 116 degrees Fahrenheit in the shade outside the new Al Janoub soccer stadium, and the air felt to air-conditioning expert Saud Ghani as if God had pointed “a giant hair dryer” at Qatar.

Yet inside the open-air stadium, a cool breeze was blowing. Beneath each of the 40,000 seats, small grates adorned with Arabic-style patterns were pushing out cool air at ankle level. And since cool air sinks, waves of it rolled gently down to the grassy playing field. Vents the size of soccer balls fed more cold air onto the field.

Ghani, an engineering professor at Qatar University, designed the system at Al Janoub, one of eight stadiums that the tiny but fabulously rich Qatar must get in shape for the 2022 World Cup. His breakthrough realization was that he had to cool only people, not the upper reaches of the stadium — a graceful structure designed by the famed Zaha Hadid Architects and inspired by traditional boats known as dhows.

“I don’t need to cool the birds,” Ghani said.

Qatar, the world's leading exporter of liquefied natural gas, may be able to cool its stadiums, but it cannot cool the entire country. Fears that the hundreds of thousands of soccer fans might wilt or even die while shuttling between stadiums and metros and hotels in the unforgiving summer heat prompted the decision to delay the World Cup by five months. It is now scheduled for November, during Qatar's milder winter.

The change in the World Cup date is a symptom of a larger problem — climate change.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ational&wpmk=1

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Calculating your carbon/environmental footprint is a good place to start and there are many calculators online as well as those offered by your energy supplier. I quite like this one from the WWF (animals not wrestlers!) https://footprint.wwf.org.uk/#/
    Thanks for the link. It's interesting to do that test. I got 11.6, so still plenty of room for improvement.

I’ll be honest I’ve always been a bit of a sceptic and not really researched this as I don’t believe there is anything meaningful I or the UK can do.

The Labour parties current policy would bankrupt Britain. The current government thinks its will take £30 trillion to meet the current 2050 target.

In the meantime whatever the UK does will not affect the climate. The likes of the US, India and China are doing nothing, they are the nations that will ultimately decide whether the targets are met. So do we wreck our economy to achieve nothing? I say no, the major players have to be onboard.

It also seems to me that CO2 is only part of the issue. A major issue seems to be Methane. I did see a research paper that suggested 25% of all CO2 in the atmosphere comes from the breakdown of methane. It concluded that there would be no climate change if the World didn’t eat meat and that the UK would meet its 2050 objective if meat wasn’t consumed by everyone on one or two days per week.

So my proposal is that post Brexit we ban the importation of meat, tax livestock farmers to make meat and diary products uneconomical to the degree they aren’t consumed.

At this point the whole of UK society will now be vegan and paid up members of XR.

This just leaves the other nations. I have a plan for them aswell. We could nuke all the major cities in India and China thus removing 60% of the worlds CO2 generation in one go.

Does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyt1 View Post
    I’ll be honest I’ve always been a bit of a sceptic and not really researched this as I don’t believe there is anything meaningful I or the UK can do.

The Labour parties current policy would bankrupt Britain. The current government thinks its will take £30 trillion to meet the current 2050 target.

In the meantime whatever the UK does will not affect the climate. The likes of the US, India and China are doing nothing, they are the nations that will ultimately decide whether the targets are met. So do we wreck our economy to achieve nothing? I say no, the major players have to be onboard.

It also seems to me that CO2 is only part of the issue. A major issue seems to be Methane. I did see a research paper that suggested 25% of all CO2 in the atmosphere comes from the breakdown of methane. It concluded that there would be no climate change if the World didn’t eat meat and that the UK would meet its 2050 objective if meat wasn’t consumed by everyone on one or two days per week.

So my proposal is that post Brexit we ban the importation of meat, tax livestock farmers to make meat and diary products uneconomical to the degree they aren’t consumed.

At this point the whole of UK society will now be vegan and paid up members of XR.

This just leaves the other nations. I have a plan for them aswell. We could nuke all the major cities in India and China thus removing 60% of the worlds CO2 generation in one go.

Does that work?
    It also leaves us with no milk and thousands and thousands of unemployed people.

What’s wrong with almond milk?

Most farm workers are low skilled migrants from the EU. Therefore not our responsibility.

Most farm workers are low skilled migrants from the EU. Therefore not our responsibility.
    The majority of farmers and their families aren't neither are the butchers or people that work in abatoirs. What about the people who work in the milk industry or the other industries like wool and leather and pigskin etc. and the are they all migrants?
    How many people work in places like McDonalds and Burger King or Steak houses?

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post

Apparently

Your travel footprint is undoing the good you do elsewhere, this is easy to fix with these simple habits.

The most eco-friendly mode of transport is cycling, it creates no emission, uses no resources and keeps you fit and healthy.

Except cycles aren't allowed on the A19 (and 26 miles each way is a bit of a push), and public transport in the North East is a joke.
    Last edited by bobbilly; 21-10-2019 at 12:08 PM.

The best way would be to avoid eating food completely. Whilst being allergic to almonds may not mean you are allergic to other types of tree nuts, it would be best if you just avoided food, especially tree nuts altogether.

Apparently nuts are among the 8 most common food allergies affecting adults and children. I guess the speeding ambulances might negate any positive effect on the carbon footprint. Anaphylaxis anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    Anaphylaxis anyone ?
    Isn't she representing Broxtowe these days?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast