+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All You Punks And All You Teds

All You Punks And All You Teds

Fair play to Coventry City on their new third kit commemorating forty years of 2 Tone music.

Nice black and white shirt!

Name:  0_DSC_0169-NEW.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  81.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Masson4 View Post
    Fair play to Coventry City on their new third kit commemorating forty years of 2 Tone music.

Very nice, in fact quite Special for a ghost town!

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    They look a bit like on duty police footballers, and did anyone else think they were sponsored by our legendary early noughties strike force at first glance?!

You've lost me Masson unless I've misinterpreted the title of this thread. I dunno what ' 2 Tone music' means for a start and I doubt if the original Nottingham 'Teds' would either, as they were around nearly 60 years ago .... not 40! I know as I was part of the scene in the early 50's but not as a 'full on' Ted. The hard line 'Teds' with full drape coats mostly lived in the inner city areas, for example St Annes, Sneinton and Hyson Green. Anyway your post brought back happy memories of Saturday nights at the Vic ballroom after a hard game of football in the afternoon on some muddy pitch (Basford's Mill Street ground being a shocker) and having 5/6 pints in the Central Tavern to clear the headache caused by heading the leaden ball earlier. Johnny Carrington on the door at the Vic (a real hard man) and I remember 'Big Bev' and his boys would scrap anyone who argued with them. Happy days!!! Oooooh ... reason for edit. 5 pints of Shippo's or Home bitter would cost 10 bob back then or 50p in today's money. (am I correct Tarkers?)
    Last edited by seriouspie; 12-10-2019 at 01:55 PM.

How appropriate !
    I suppose I still carry the skas of that play-off defeat.

Yes, in fact you have misinterpreted the thread title which is part of the lyrics of a 2 Tone song. Explanations of what the 2 Tone movement was freely available for the last forty years.

Yes, also fully aware of the Teddy Boy movement of the 1950s thanks. Being an expert you’ll of course know there was a revival approximately movement forty years ago too.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    You've lost me Masson unless I've misinterpreted the title of this thread. I dunno what ' 2 Tone music' means for a start and I doubt if the original Nottingham 'Teds' would either, as they were around nearly 60 years ago .... not 40! I know as I was part of the scene in the early 50's but not as a 'full on' Ted. The hard line 'Teds' with full drape coats mostly lived in the inner city areas, for example St Annes, Sneinton and Hyson Green. Anyway your post brought back happy memories of Saturday nights at the Vic ballroom after a hard game of football in the afternoon on some muddy pitch (Basford's Mill Street ground being a shocker) and having 5/6 pints in the Central Tavern to clear the headache caused by heading the leaden ball earlier. Johnny Carrington on the door at the Vic (a real hard man) and I remember 'Big Bev' and his boys would scrap anyone who argued with them. Happy days!!! Oooooh ... reason for edit. 5 pints of Shippo's or Home bitter would cost 10 bob back then or 50p in today's money. (am I correct Tarkers?)

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Oooooh ... reason for edit. 5 pints of Shippo's or Home bitter would cost 10 bob back then or 50p in today's money. (am I correct Tarkers?)
    Beer prices through the 1900s were remarkably cheap up until we joined the EU (no idea why) but they noticeably soared in the 80s, 90s and 2000s, and with more regulation, the "duty escalator", ridiculous business rates and the smoking ban, effectively killed off one of the great British institutions.

I have taken Guinness as the litmus test because it is a universal brand across the UK, although arguably a tad expensive compared to "local brews"......prices per pint......

1900 - 3 pennies (1.25p)
    1914 - 4 pennies (1.66p)
    1918 - 10 pennies (4p-ish).......there were numerous reports of "profiteering" and deliberate beer shortages, hop shortages and general unrest of the prices, read here https://www.europeanbeerguide.net/beer1917.htm#shilling
    Dec 1951 - 1 shilling (5p) ie only a 2 penny rise in 33 years, the "glory years" for beer drinking
    1964 - 2 shillings (10p)......being in Nottingham which was usually cheaper than the national average, Serious could comfortably buy 5 pints of Home bitter, a bag of chips plus entry to "grab-a-granny" night for under 10 bob!!
    1969 - 3shillings (15p)
    1974 - 4 shillings (20p)
    1978 - 10 shillings (50p).....beer prices more than doubled in 4 years!!
    1981 - 15 shillings (75p)....50% rise in 3 years
    1982 to 1983 - 1 pound a pint...the year I joined Scottish and Newcastle and Home Brewery later that decade.....some high volume outlets like Calverton WMC held out at 1 pound a pint for several more years.
    1990 - 1 pound 50p per pint

Remember these are national averages of a premium product, so people will probably still remember their local boozer holding out at 1 pound a pint up to 1990, but the striking comparison here is those that grew up in the 60s in their ****s getting 10 pints for a squid in ´64, versus those getting 1 pint per pound 1982.....I´m off to fire up my tardis.

Quote Originally Posted by Masson4 View Post

I really don't give a fcuk about anything to do with Chaventry City.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    beer prices through the 1900s were remarkably cheap up until we joined the eu (no idea why) but they noticeably soared in the 80s, 90s and 2000s, and with more regulation, the "duty escalator", ridiculous business rates and the smoking ban, effectively killed off one of the great british institutions.

I have taken guinness as the litmus test because it is a universal brand across the uk, although arguably a tad expensive compared to "local brews"......prices per pint......

1900 - 3 pennies (1.25p)
    1914 - 4 pennies (1.66p)
    1918 - 10 pennies (4p-ish).......there were numerous reports of "profiteering" and deliberate beer shortages, hop shortages and general unrest of the prices, read here https://www.europeanbeerguide.net/beer1917.htm#shilling
    dec 1951 - 1 shilling (5p) ie only a 2 penny rise in 33 years, the "glory years" for beer drinking
    1964 - 2 shillings (10p)......being in nottingham which was usually cheaper than the national average, serious could comfortably buy 5 pints of home bitter, a bag of chips plus entry to "grab-a-granny" night for under 10 bob!!
    1969 - 3shillings (15p)
    1974 - 4 shillings (20p)
    1978 - 10 shillings (50p).....beer prices more than doubled in 4 years!!
    1981 - 15 shillings (75p)....50% rise in 3 years
    1982 to 1983 - 1 pound a pint...the year i joined scottish and newcastle and home brewery later that decade.....some high volume outlets like calverton wmc held out at 1 pound a pint for several more years.
    1990 - 1 pound 50p per pint

remember these are national averages of a premium product, so people will probably still remember their local boozer holding out at 1 pound a pint up to 1990, but the striking comparison here is those that grew up in the 60s in their ****s getting 10 pints for a squid in ´64, versus those getting 1 pint per pound 1982.....i´m off to fire up my tardis.
    moved to it´s own thread.....because i can!!

Looks great but Terry Hall won't be wearing it because he's a match going Man United fan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast