+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- 10 pints for a quid in 1964?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    2019 - Taurus cider (5%) 57p per pint.

Home drinking rather than the local, but I aim to make the most of it tonight.
    Wetherspoons 2019 Pint of Ruddles £1-69p
    In New Zealand it is about £6 a pint.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Alcohol, even drinking out, is cheaper comparatively now than it was years ago if you take wages into account.
    This is the point we should be looking at. How many pints could you get for the average hour's wage in 1960, 70, 80? Compare that to the average now and we'll see what's up. It might be that you could have a night out for 2 and 6, but if you took a month to earn that, it's total ****e.

Quote Originally Posted by shoot_five View Post
    This is the point we should be looking at. How many pints could you get for the average hour's wage in 1960, 70, 80? Compare that to the average now and we'll see what's up. It might be that you could have a night out for 2 and 6, but if you took a month to earn that, it's total ****e.
    2/6d .......or half a dollar young man!

Lets put your theory to the test for something to do. My equation is rounded off to the nearest penny.

In 1960 and just out my time, my take home pay was £11 pw for 44 hrs. which roughly equates to 5 bob an hour.
    Understand we are talking old money so for simplicity we'll talk in old pence. 5/- per hour therefore equals 60d per hour. I am sure that in 1960 I could buy a pint of Home/Shippos bitter for 1/6d or 18d. Divide the hourly rate of 60d by the 18d and you get approximately 3.3 pints per hour. Today if we multiply 3.3 X £3 = £9.9 and we count this £9.9 as the average hourly wage and the price of a pint, then I must agree you are not far out.

No stats or equations, but in comparison I would guess that a pint in the pub is as expensive as it's ever been, and a pint from the supermarket is as cheap as it's ever been.

No stats or equations, but in comparison I would guess that a pint in the pub is as expensive as it's ever been, and a pint from the supermarket is as cheap as it's ever been.
    In Australia at least in the time I have been here ( 15 years ) I would say both are as expensive as they have ever been. I am always amazed by the deals in Asda when I come back to the UK on grog though. Are they making any money?

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    In Australia at least in the time I have been here ( 15 years ) I would say both are as expensive as they have ever been. I am always amazed by the deals in Asda when I come back to the UK on grog though. Are they making any money?
    Asda are currently selling 30 x 440ml cans of Stella for £21, which works out at 90.3p per pint.

It's usually around 5 times that price for a pint in a pub.

Asda are currently selling 30 x 440ml cans of Stella for £21, which works out at 90.3p per pint.

It's usually around 5 times that price for a pint in a pub.
    That's nuts.

A pint of Stella in the pub here although its not commonly sold would be equivalent of 6-7 quid.

I cant believe they are making more than 10% on that even with their buying power.

I used to deal with a few large grog companies when I lived in the UK and I know that their supply accounts to the majors were on razor thin margins with crazy payment terms of 90-120 days.

Deals like that cannot be good for the local pub.

It beats me why the breweries still charge so much for beer. They can see their own pubs closing in their hundreds and it's purely because of the price. I know of people who either stay at home and drink the supermarket's beer, or buy spirits and drink at home before they go out later for their one or two pints, topped up by the vodka in their pocket.

Would agree - but as with many things our whole culture has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    It beats me why the breweries still charge so much for beer. They can see their own pubs closing in their hundreds and it's purely because of the price. I know of people who either stay at home and drink the supermarket's beer, or buy spirits and drink at home before they go out later for their one or two pints, topped up by the vodka in their pocket.
    True again Laxton but as in my reply to Elite, cultures have changed for many reasons. Not many supermarkets around back in the day.No breathalyser tests, not so many cars on the roads so people walked to their locals and the advance of further leisure pursuits to name one or two.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast