+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Match ratings v Torquay

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,939

    Match ratings v Torquay

    Thougt I would have a go
    Slocombe.... Every time I see this lad he impresses me more.......8
    Brindley...... Don't hit it yer t@@t. Yessssss. Is this lad related to Bill? Brilliant.....8.5
    Turner........ Average. Only joking, the man is a colossus......8
    Rawlinson.......My MOTM, thought the lad had a cracking game.......9
    Baygo..........Very good defensively , if only his crossing could improve....7.5
    Rose........Improved on recent performances but nowhere near last seasons level......7
    Doyele.....Ummmmmm, ok I suppose......7
    Shields ......Not impressed at all Tuesday but was today, looks like he could be a real asset.......8
    Enzio.......... Moving on..6
    Dennis........I love the menace, sees things others dont and what a finish, again.....8
    Big Bert......Not his best game but always a starter for me....7.5

    Subs..........All 7.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,744
    Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Thougt I would have a go
    Slocombe.... Every time I see this lad he impresses me more.......8
    Brindley...... Don't hit it yer t@@t. Yessssss. Is this lad related to Bill? Brilliant.....8.5
    Turner........ Average. Only joking, the man is a colossus......8
    Rawlinson.......My MOTM, thought the lad had a cracking game.......9
    Baygo..........Very good defensively , if only his crossing could improve....7.5
    Rose........Improved on recent performances but nowhere near last seasons level......7
    Doyele.....Ummmmmm, ok I suppose......7
    Shields ......Not impressed at all Tuesday but was today, looks like he could be a real asset.......8
    Enzio.......... Moving on..6
    Dennis........I love the menace, sees things others dont and what a finish, again.....8
    Big Bert......Not his best game but always a starter for me....7.5

    Subs..........All 7.
    I'd agree with all those ratings. My only disappointment today was Enzio who I felt was a passenger for large parts. Unfortunately, if he's not offering any attacking options, he's just not in the game.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    269
    Wouldnít disagree too much with the original ratings but I feel it was hard to distinguish between the players today. In my view it was a fairly unique match in that almost the entire 11 couldíve been named MOTM; itís the first game I can remember in a long while that I donít think anyone played badly.

    The match overall followed a similar pattern to the previous two home games in that we took an early lead and then ceded possession for long spells to a useful-looking team, but the main difference was that Slocombe didnít have a save to make, and for all their possession they didnít make a chance of note until the 70th minute so we were well worth the win.

    So for me it was the best performance so far; 7ís across the board with probably an 8 for Rawlinson, who I canít remember making a mistake and produced a brilliant goal-line clearance with 20 mins to go, without which it may have been a very different ending to the game. Slocombe was very assured in his handling, Brindley scored an incredible goal and has no obvious weakness in his game, Turner and Rawlinson are surely as good a defensive pairing as there is at this level, Bakayogo played well and must be one of the best full-backs in the league that isnít first choice.

    Enzio and Shields were both extremely hard-working defensively as well as threatening the other way, and both goals initiated through them. Have to stand-up for Enzio here; heís now doing exactly what he was criticised for not doing last season and working for the team; the defensive side to his game has come on unbelievably this season.

    Rose and Doyle gave the front four the platform on which to play; wasnít sold on Doyle coming back in the team but he really showed how valuable he can be, winning near-enough every single second ball and barely wasting a pass in possession. Probably second only to Rawlinson in terms of the performance level today.

    Wooton was well marshalled by their captain first half but gave as good as he got and came out on top in the second; Dennis has a far better all-round game than heís given credit for, worked incredibly hard and got yet another goal. I can barely recall him playing a full game all season so his minutes/goal ratio must be outstanding.

    Final word for Ardley. I am delighted for him. A month or so ago I really didnít believe he was the man to take us forward; I didnít think he had a clear way of playing - now weíre playing attractive football but also with a sturdiness that definitely wasnít ever in-evidence last season. I thought he was signing way too many unnecessary players but the later additions like Booty, Wooton and Brindley have been key men.

    Now I feel for the first time heís in a relatively stable position; if we lose a game or two thereíll be no calls for his head, he has enough credit in the bank and most importantly fans will stick with him, with this squad, because they can not only see a group of players giving absolutely everything, but also a clear long-term direction/vision.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    24,696
    Slocombe 6 - the only reason he gets an average mark is because he had very little to do, apart from a bit of catching practice!
    Brindley 7.5 - not only solid defensively, but a world class strike for the opener.
    Rawlinson 8* - really committed performance. To say he outshone Turner says all that needs saying.
    Turner 7.5 - what we have come to expect, wins far more challenges than he loses.
    Bakayogo 7.5 - best game I've seen him play. Sound at both ends on the left, fortunately his injury seems minor.
    Shields 7 - decent going forward and played his part defensively.
    Rose 6.5 - better in the challenge than when on the ball, but had a decent game.
    Doyle 7.5 - gave the back four great protection, always available for a pass, showed what an asset he can be.
    Enzio 6.5 - most of his best work was done defensively, still caused them a few problems going forward.
    Wootton 7 - did exactly what a target man should do, and has a fair bit of skill for a big man.
    Dennis 7 - missed a sitter but scored a goal from nothing. Always looked lively.

    Kelly-Evans 6.5 - probably more at home on the right, but a good option to bring on from the bench.
    Booty 6 - did his job when he came on.
    Thomas 6 - no real involvement but helped us see out the last few minutes.

    A really good, committed performance against a decent team. The fact they were only good up to the final third is more down to our defensive shape than their failings. We actually looked like a team that is hard to beat. I'm still not quite ready to join the Ardley fan club, but he can be given nothing but credit for the last few games. Keep it going Neal and please make me apologise at the end of the season.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Slocombe 6 - the only reason he gets an average mark is because he had very little to do, apart from a bit of catching practice!
    Brindley 7.5 - not only solid defensively, but a world class strike for the opener.
    Rawlinson 8* - really committed performance. To say he outshone Turner says all that needs saying.
    Turner 7.5 - what we have come to expect, wins far more challenges than he loses.
    Bakayogo 7.5 - best game I've seen him play. Sound at both ends on the left, fortunately his injury seems minor.
    Shields 7 - decent going forward and played his part defensively.
    Rose 6.5 - better in the challenge than when on the ball, but had a decent game.
    Doyle 7.5 - gave the back four great protection, always available for a pass, showed what an asset he can be.
    Enzio 6.5 - most of his best work was done defensively, still caused them a few problems going forward.
    Wootton 7 - did exactly what a target man should do, and has a fair bit of skill for a big man.
    Dennis 7 - missed a sitter but scored a goal from nothing. Always looked lively.

    Kelly-Evans 6.5 - probably more at home on the right, but a good option to bring on from the bench.
    Booty 6 - did his job when he came on.
    Thomas 6 - no real involvement but helped us see out the last few minutes.

    A really good, committed performance against a decent team. The fact they were only good up to the final third is more down to our defensive shape than their failings. We actually looked like a team that is hard to beat. I'm still not quite ready to join the Ardley fan club, but he can be given nothing but credit for the last few games. Keep it going Neal and please make me apologise at the end of the season.
    What "sitter" ? Are you talking about when he hit it over the bar with his right foot?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    24,696
    Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    What "sitter" ? Are you talking about when he hit it over the bar with his right foot?
    Yes.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    374
    I am a massive fan of Ardley but would be a liar if my views of him have slightly waived a tiny bit at times since he came, just thought last season he overthought it, but tbf the squad was awful. The only thing I think he has maybe got wrong this season is not having Rawlinson in the starting lineup earlier as he has been a colossus but then again by his own admission has been carrying injuries, I. am starting to get very excited by this season, feels like we have our club back.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Yes.
    He's left-footed, just like the best of us.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    24,696
    Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    He's left-footed, just like the best of us.
    Oh right, I was unaware there was a rule that prevents him scoring with his right foot. He was about 8 yards out, no real challenge and only had to hit the target to score unless it was directly at their keeper.

    Funnily enough, if you had asked me to choose any player that chance would fall to, I would have picked Krystian Dennis.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Oh right, I was unaware there was a rule that prevents him scoring with his right foot. He was about 8 yards out, no real challenge and only had to hit the target to score unless it was directly at their keeper.

    Funnily enough, if you had asked me to choose any player that chance would fall to, I would have picked Krystian Dennis.
    There isn't a rule, makes it easier if it falls on your natural foot though.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    I'd agree with all those ratings. My only disappointment today was Enzio who I felt was a passenger for large parts. Unfortunately, if he's not offering any attacking options, he's just not in the game.
    Enzioi is always a "disappointment" mate. He was sh1te again today.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,827
    Agree with the marks, think we're looking a very hard team to beat and threatening every time we go forwards, we just have a bit of menace about us.
    The strength of the squad is pretty awesome for this level, Tyson, McCrory, O'Brien not on the bench, Graham out for the season. Not sure any club in this division could cope with that kind of loss to the team and still keep getting results.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,024
    Thanks for the ratings, sounds like another good performance. Typical really, I've missed two games this year....Chorley and Torquay!

    Having Jim O'Brien back after Christmas will be like a new signing!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,076
    Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Thougt I would have a go
    Slocombe.... Every time I see this lad he impresses me more.......8
    Brindley...... Don't hit it yer t@@t. Yessssss. Is this lad related to Bill? Brilliant.....8.5
    Turner........ Average. Only joking, the man is a colossus......8
    Rawlinson.......My MOTM, thought the lad had a cracking game.......9
    Baygo..........Very good defensively , if only his crossing could improve....7.5
    Rose........Improved on recent performances but nowhere near last seasons level......7
    Doyele.....Ummmmmm, ok I suppose......7
    Shields ......Not impressed at all Tuesday but was today, looks like he could be a real asset.......8
    Enzio.......... Moving on..6
    Dennis........I love the menace, sees things others dont and what a finish, again.....8
    Big Bert......Not his best game but always a starter for me....7.5

    Subs..........All 7.
    Have to agree with all of that although I have to speak up for Enzio. Today was not a day where he was going to be allowed to express his attacking abilities. Both he and Shields performed their defensive duties admirably. Also agree that Rawlinson had his best game for us today but to be honest it’s difficult to identify anyone who didn’t put a shift in in what was a complete and gritty performance.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,089
    Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    Enzio and Shields were both extremely hard-working defensively as well as threatening the other way, and both goals initiated through them. Have to stand-up for Enzio here; heís now doing exactly what he was criticised for not doing last season and working for the team; the defensive side to his game has come on unbelievably this season.
    Agreed, I was surprised to see anyone mark Enzio down (or anyone else for that matter) today, he worked his b*llocks off all game, made a few good contributions in our own 18 yard box to get rid of danger, made a few interceptions when closing players down, kept the ball well, attacked them when he could and won the corner that we scored from, albeit with a mis-hit weak looking shot but still, he was a threat and was part of a about as comfortable a performance as you're likely to see.

    Edit: I'd love to know why nobody had signed Richard Brindley before we managed to snap him up, he looks like one of the best right backs we've had in years.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    476
    I've only seen Notts once this season. At Borehamwood. It was clear to me that Brindley was a cut above the rest on the pitch. He looks a great signing.. Here's an interesting link about just why his talent has been stalling up until now... https://talksport.com/football/57162...ent-nightmare/

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,242
    Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    There isn't a rule, makes it easier if it falls on your natural foot though.
    Expected him to put that one away though mate.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Agreed, I was surprised to see anyone mark Enzio down (or anyone else for that matter) today, he worked his b*llocks off all game, made a few good contributions in our own 18 yard box to get rid of danger, made a few interceptions when closing players down, kept the ball well, attacked them when he could and won the corner that we scored from, albeit with a mis-hit weak looking shot but still, he was a threat and was part of a about as comfortable a performance as you're likely to see.

    Edit: I'd love to know why nobody had signed Richard Brindley before we managed to snap him up, he looks like one of the best right backs we've had in years.
    Feck me, did he drive everyone home as well.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    4,300
    Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    Wouldnít disagree too much with the original ratings but I feel it was hard to distinguish between the players today. In my view it was a fairly unique match in that almost the entire 11 couldíve been named MOTM; itís the first game I can remember in a long while that I donít think anyone played badly.

    The match overall followed a similar pattern to the previous two home games in that we took an early lead and then ceded possession for long spells to a useful-looking team, but the main difference was that Slocombe didnít have a save to make, and for all their possession they didnít make a chance of note until the 70th minute so we were well worth the win.

    So for me it was the best performance so far; 7ís across the board with probably an 8 for Rawlinson, who I canít remember making a mistake and produced a brilliant goal-line clearance with 20 mins to go, without which it may have been a very different ending to the game. Slocombe was very assured in his handling, Brindley scored an incredible goal and has no obvious weakness in his game, Turner and Rawlinson are surely as good a defensive pairing as there is at this level, Bakayogo played well and must be one of the best full-backs in the league that isnít first choice.

    Enzio and Shields were both extremely hard-working defensively as well as threatening the other way, and both goals initiated through them. Have to stand-up for Enzio here; heís now doing exactly what he was criticised for not doing last season and working for the team; the defensive side to his game has come on unbelievably this season.

    Rose and Doyle gave the front four the platform on which to play; wasnít sold on Doyle coming back in the team but he really showed how valuable he can be, winning near-enough every single second ball and barely wasting a pass in possession. Probably second only to Rawlinson in terms of the performance level today.

    Wooton was well marshalled by their captain first half but gave as good as he got and came out on top in the second; Dennis has a far better all-round game than heís given credit for, worked incredibly hard and got yet another goal. I can barely recall him playing a full game all season so his minutes/goal ratio must be outstanding.

    Final word for Ardley. I am delighted for him. A month or so ago I really didnít believe he was the man to take us forward; I didnít think he had a clear way of playing - now weíre playing attractive football but also with a sturdiness that definitely wasnít ever in-evidence last season. I thought he was signing way too many unnecessary players but the later additions like Booty, Wooton and Brindley have been key men.

    Now I feel for the first time heís in a relatively stable position; if we lose a game or two thereíll be no calls for his head, he has enough credit in the bank and most importantly fans will stick with him, with this squad, because they can not only see a group of players giving absolutely everything, but also a clear long-term direction/vision.
    This is an excellent post and sums up my thoughts completely.

    With both the Dagenham and Torquay games this week I think we have seen two of the better footballing sides in this league. Not forgetting that Torquay were the leagues top goal scorers and we kept them at bay.

    Whilst in the Torquay game we didnít have as much possession as we did in the Dagenham game it was a complete team performance. All the players did their job and itís now clear to see what kind of style we are playing and what each players role is. It was really difficult to pick a man of the match for the reason that so many players were contenders.

    Iíve always been a advocate of Neil Ardley and if some fans havenít read the webchat on the NEP website it makes for interesting reading. Iím desperate for him to bring success to this club and our league status back because heís a genuinely decent man and thorough in all that he does. He has addressed our one major problem that weíve had for a number of seasons and that is our defensive frailties. Players put their bodies on the line for the team now and the goalkeeper is an assured figure at the centre of this. Graham was a loss but Rawlinson has come in and is forging a good understanding with Big Ben with each passing game. Turner is a warrior and wins so much in the air and is the kind of centre back we have been missing at the club for a number of seasons.

    The thing I like is that goals donít just come from the front men. Everyone is chipping in. Also the quality of the goals this season have been something. Itís only mid October and there are so many contenders already for goal of the season.

    Going to watch Notts at Meadow Lane is now a pleasure and itís as good a feeling as what it was two years ago under Kevin Nolan in the early part of the playoff season. We are making our home a fortress and a really difficult place for teams to come. The stats tell the story. One defeat at home this season to Barnet. Five clean sheets at home in a row. I always say on here that the clean sheet is what wins titles, but letís not get too carried away.

    I think the recruitment done this summer has been excellent and the quality of player that can come on off the bench is what many teams at this level would envy. Every player we have signed brings something to the team and puts in the hard work effort and has the right attitude on the pitch. Even though we have lost key players at times, others have come in and more than stepped up.

    Our club feels like itís got its dignity and respect back within the football world and itís excellent to see and long may it continue.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    I'd agree with all those ratings. My only disappointment today was Enzio who I felt was a passenger for large parts. Unfortunately, if he's not offering any attacking options, he's just not in the game.
    Enzio is there for a reason, he has a reputation among managers. They make sure he has no space to work in by using close marking to immediately snuff out his presence, they daren't let him go, but this leads to more space for others and it works - doesn't it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •