+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Match ratings v Torquay

Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    I'd agree with all those ratings. My only disappointment today was Enzio who I felt was a passenger for large parts. Unfortunately, if he's not offering any attacking options, he's just not in the game.
    Enzioi is always a "disappointment" mate. He was sh1te again today.

Agree with the marks, think we're looking a very hard team to beat and threatening every time we go forwards, we just have a bit of menace about us.
    The strength of the squad is pretty awesome for this level, Tyson, McCrory, O'Brien not on the bench, Graham out for the season. Not sure any club in this division could cope with that kind of loss to the team and still keep getting results.

Thanks for the ratings, sounds like another good performance. Typical really, I've missed two games this year....Chorley and Torquay!

Having Jim O'Brien back after Christmas will be like a new signing!

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Thougt I would have a go
    Slocombe.... Every time I see this lad he impresses me more.......8
    Brindley...... Don't hit it yer t@@t. Yessssss. Is this lad related to Bill? Brilliant.....8.5
    Turner........ Average. Only joking, the man is a colossus......8
    Rawlinson.......My MOTM, thought the lad had a cracking game.......9
    Baygo..........Very good defensively , if only his crossing could improve....7.5
    Rose........Improved on recent performances but nowhere near last seasons level......7
    Doyele.....Ummmmmm, ok I suppose......7
    Shields ......Not impressed at all Tuesday but was today, looks like he could be a real asset.......8
    Enzio.......... Moving on..6
    Dennis........I love the menace, sees things others dont and what a finish, again.....8
    Big Bert......Not his best game but always a starter for me....7.5

Subs..........All 7.
    Have to agree with all of that although I have to speak up for Enzio. Today was not a day where he was going to be allowed to express his attacking abilities. Both he and Shields performed their defensive duties admirably. Also agree that Rawlinson had his best game for us today but to be honest it’s difficult to identify anyone who didn’t put a shift in in what was a complete and gritty performance.

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    Enzio and Shields were both extremely hard-working defensively as well as threatening the other way, and both goals initiated through them. Have to stand-up for Enzio here; he’s now doing exactly what he was criticised for not doing last season and working for the team; the defensive side to his game has come on unbelievably this season.
    Agreed, I was surprised to see anyone mark Enzio down (or anyone else for that matter) today, he worked his b*llocks off all game, made a few good contributions in our own 18 yard box to get rid of danger, made a few interceptions when closing players down, kept the ball well, attacked them when he could and won the corner that we scored from, albeit with a mis-hit weak looking shot but still, he was a threat and was part of a about as comfortable a performance as you're likely to see.

Edit: I'd love to know why nobody had signed Richard Brindley before we managed to snap him up, he looks like one of the best right backs we've had in years.

I've only seen Notts once this season. At Borehamwood. It was clear to me that Brindley was a cut above the rest on the pitch. He looks a great signing.. Here's an interesting link about just why his talent has been stalling up until now... https://talksport.com/football/57162...ent-nightmare/

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    There isn't a rule, makes it easier if it falls on your natural foot though.
    Expected him to put that one away though mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Agreed, I was surprised to see anyone mark Enzio down (or anyone else for that matter) today, he worked his b*llocks off all game, made a few good contributions in our own 18 yard box to get rid of danger, made a few interceptions when closing players down, kept the ball well, attacked them when he could and won the corner that we scored from, albeit with a mis-hit weak looking shot but still, he was a threat and was part of a about as comfortable a performance as you're likely to see.

Edit: I'd love to know why nobody had signed Richard Brindley before we managed to snap him up, he looks like one of the best right backs we've had in years.
    Feck me, did he drive everyone home as well.

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    Wouldn’t disagree too much with the original ratings but I feel it was hard to distinguish between the players today. In my view it was a fairly unique match in that almost the entire 11 could’ve been named MOTM; it’s the first game I can remember in a long while that I don’t think anyone played badly.

The match overall followed a similar pattern to the previous two home games in that we took an early lead and then ceded possession for long spells to a useful-looking team, but the main difference was that Slocombe didn’t have a save to make, and for all their possession they didn’t make a chance of note until the 70th minute so we were well worth the win.

So for me it was the best performance so far; 7’s across the board with probably an 8 for Rawlinson, who I can’t remember making a mistake and produced a brilliant goal-line clearance with 20 mins to go, without which it may have been a very different ending to the game. Slocombe was very assured in his handling, Brindley scored an incredible goal and has no obvious weakness in his game, Turner and Rawlinson are surely as good a defensive pairing as there is at this level, Bakayogo played well and must be one of the best full-backs in the league that isn’t first choice.

Enzio and Shields were both extremely hard-working defensively as well as threatening the other way, and both goals initiated through them. Have to stand-up for Enzio here; he’s now doing exactly what he was criticised for not doing last season and working for the team; the defensive side to his game has come on unbelievably this season.

Rose and Doyle gave the front four the platform on which to play; wasn’t sold on Doyle coming back in the team but he really showed how valuable he can be, winning near-enough every single second ball and barely wasting a pass in possession. Probably second only to Rawlinson in terms of the performance level today.

Wooton was well marshalled by their captain first half but gave as good as he got and came out on top in the second; Dennis has a far better all-round game than he’s given credit for, worked incredibly hard and got yet another goal. I can barely recall him playing a full game all season so his minutes/goal ratio must be outstanding.

Final word for Ardley. I am delighted for him. A month or so ago I really didn’t believe he was the man to take us forward; I didn’t think he had a clear way of playing - now we’re playing attractive football but also with a sturdiness that definitely wasn’t ever in-evidence last season. I thought he was signing way too many unnecessary players but the later additions like Booty, Wooton and Brindley have been key men.

Now I feel for the first time he’s in a relatively stable position; if we lose a game or two there’ll be no calls for his head, he has enough credit in the bank and most importantly fans will stick with him, with this squad, because they can not only see a group of players giving absolutely everything, but also a clear long-term direction/vision.
    This is an excellent post and sums up my thoughts completely.

With both the Dagenham and Torquay games this week I think we have seen two of the better footballing sides in this league. Not forgetting that Torquay were the leagues top goal scorers and we kept them at bay.

Whilst in the Torquay game we didn’t have as much possession as we did in the Dagenham game it was a complete team performance. All the players did their job and it’s now clear to see what kind of style we are playing and what each players role is. It was really difficult to pick a man of the match for the reason that so many players were contenders.

I’ve always been a advocate of Neil Ardley and if some fans haven’t read the webchat on the NEP website it makes for interesting reading. I’m desperate for him to bring success to this club and our league status back because he’s a genuinely decent man and thorough in all that he does. He has addressed our one major problem that we’ve had for a number of seasons and that is our defensive frailties. Players put their bodies on the line for the team now and the goalkeeper is an assured figure at the centre of this. Graham was a loss but Rawlinson has come in and is forging a good understanding with Big Ben with each passing game. Turner is a warrior and wins so much in the air and is the kind of centre back we have been missing at the club for a number of seasons.

The thing I like is that goals don’t just come from the front men. Everyone is chipping in. Also the quality of the goals this season have been something. It’s only mid October and there are so many contenders already for goal of the season.

Going to watch Notts at Meadow Lane is now a pleasure and it’s as good a feeling as what it was two years ago under Kevin Nolan in the early part of the playoff season. We are making our home a fortress and a really difficult place for teams to come. The stats tell the story. One defeat at home this season to Barnet. Five clean sheets at home in a row. I always say on here that the clean sheet is what wins titles, but let’s not get too carried away.

I think the recruitment done this summer has been excellent and the quality of player that can come on off the bench is what many teams at this level would envy. Every player we have signed brings something to the team and puts in the hard work effort and has the right attitude on the pitch. Even though we have lost key players at times, others have come in and more than stepped up.

Our club feels like it’s got its dignity and respect back within the football world and it’s excellent to see and long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    I'd agree with all those ratings. My only disappointment today was Enzio who I felt was a passenger for large parts. Unfortunately, if he's not offering any attacking options, he's just not in the game.
    Enzio is there for a reason, he has a reputation among managers. They make sure he has no space to work in by using close marking to immediately snuff out his presence, they daren't let him go, but this leads to more space for others and it works - doesn't it?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast