+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darragh MacAnthony - fantastic suggestion!

Here's a remarkable thing about McAnthony .

We asked about buying the lad Ivan Toney in the summer and he quotes us £10m , yeh right .

We would possibly have gone to £2m which even at that is steep but that's the market we operate in .

We sell Moore for £3m and buy Toney for £2m is how we roll .

The point I'm making is that he's happy to play modern day football when it suits him , when the modern game goes the other way he doesn't like it so much .

Bless !!!

Totally agree with animal. While a £300k salary for playing third tier football is obscene, there are clubs who can comfortably go beyond that within their own means. Would anybody listen if the Accrington chairman said there should be a wage cap of £2k a week? Just so it suited them and their needs?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    Totally agree with animal. While a £300k salary for playing third tier football is obscene, there are clubs who can comfortably go beyond that within their own means. Would anybody listen if the Accrington chairman said there should be a wage cap of £2k a week? Just so it suited them and their needs?
    Hazza, so you think it’s okay to pay a League 1player 10k a week? I’m glad you’re not my club’ Chairman.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    Not like you to bring a party political analogy into a football thread.

Your vinyl is dusty.
    Nah, perfect condition, regularly cleaned with the free hog wash you get on this message board.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Hazza, so you think it’s okay to pay a League 1player 10k a week? I’m glad you’re not my club’ Chairman.
    Did I say that? I get the concept of wage caps but I think a club should be allowed to live within its means, as long as it does just that, meaning there are a certain few clubs at this level plus ones who come down from the Championship who can afford to pay players more than £6k a week. I'd guess our top earners aren't on £6k a week which is fine for us, we just about live within our means.

Animals point is that if Barnsley come down, they'll be in a position to go beyond McAnthony's suggested £6k a week cap, so why shouldn't they?

It'd be like us going down to L2, with decent gates and budget for that level but being told there's a £2k a week wage cap. Which is actually sensible, but not that fair if you're a club that has the means to bring in a higher standard of player.

If we could afford to bring in the calibre of players who earn £10+ a week, would you be against us doing it?

We,re not in a position to pay those type of wages within our finances though Hazza
    The only reason we can do it is because TS decides to subsidize our hobby by funding it from his grandchildren,s inheritance fund.
    This is fine until the Stewart family decide they are not willing to do it anymore. Perhaps Richard Stewart will take this stance in the future.

This happened with the Booth family when his sons turned the tap off. Look where that took us.

I think there's a need for clubs who are operating outside of their financial means to have a salary cap imposed on them as part of breaking the FFP rules .

I've certainly no problem with clubs having to answer to a regulator who have the power to get them in to line before it gets to the stage it got with Bury and Bolton .

Make the clubs deposit the budget for the 12 month period in advance. That way it's all transparent. Clubs that blow the budget in August have nowt left for January. Then tough.
    I'm against wage caps as beating teams like Coventry, posh, Sunderland give me more pleasure/excitement than beating the Accringtons and Wimbledon of the league.
    Ok there's prob only 3 or 4 teams in league one paying over 6k per week too players but there's every team in the championship paying over it. Too complicated to police and it will encourage the big teams to vote break away leagues

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    Did I say that? I get the concept of wage caps but I think a club should be allowed to live within its means, as long as it does just that, meaning there are a certain few clubs at this level plus ones who come down from the Championship who can afford to pay players more than £6k a week. I'd guess our top earners aren't on £6k a week which is fine for us, we just about live within our means.

Animals point is that if Barnsley come down, they'll be in a position to go beyond McAnthony's suggested £6k a week cap, so why shouldn't they?

It'd be like us going down to L2, with decent gates and budget for that level but being told there's a £2k a week wage cap. Which is actually sensible, but not that fair if you're a club that has the means to bring in a higher standard of player.

If we could afford to bring in the calibre of players who earn £10+ a week, would you be against us doing it?
    I see you posted early doors, hows the knee is it keeping you awake pal?

To answer your question it would have to be a resounding no I wouldn’t object if we had a billionaire chairman but, in our current state we haven’t so cap it for me.

A team may be in league 1 or 2 because of their financial backing and I feel should cut their cloth accordingly so as not to do a Bury. There’s still the opportunity to gain promotion and if successful then splash the cash on whoever, in order to retain their status.

It’s a sensible approach from MacAnthony whether it gets approved is another thing.

Yes a sensible approach. Whilst the Posh Chairman may have a hidden agenda it,s nevertheless a good idea

I would like to think that if a player on 10k a week is now paid 6k.
    The player who previously thinks he's worth 6k a week (he's not worth it) is now paid 4k due to market forces
    4k is now paid 2k and so on.

Thereby bringing the general pay scales down to a more affordable level and more realistic compared to ability. This would align the lower div clubs income a lot closer to their expenditure without having to be bankrolled.

So what if it's a more level playing field. Better Manager's with new ideas (Paul Warne) will outshine their poor counterparts (Kenny Jackett). As we've seen big budgets (Sunderland) doesn't mean a team will perform well anyway

I'd pay Liam Feeney towards the top end though. Still a very good player
    Last edited by flourbasher; 13-10-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast