+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Darragh MacAnthony - fantastic suggestion!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    28,234

    Darragh MacAnthony - fantastic suggestion!

    Peterborough owner Darragh MacAthony has spoken out and suggested a good compromise in order to protect lower league clubs. Alas this isn't implemented yet, but may well have saved Bury FC if it had been.

    He is calling on all League 1 and 2 clubs to put in place a ceiling cap of a maximum wage of 6,000 a week to players.

    'If we don't do something it will be someone else's club to go bust next' he explained. The Posh boss has formulated a 10 point plan to ease the financial strain in the lower leagues, including a 2 million fund to bail out stricken clubs.

    MacAnthony wants players, and their union, the PFA, to agree to limit salaries for the good of the game.


    Think back to Bury. They had players on 10,000 a week, an absolute joke and no wonder they went under.
    I personally think that all Chairmen of the lower leagues should call a meeting with the PFA and get this thrashed out and implemented.

    I feel Tony Stewart already practices this and maybe is the reason why we haven't signed 'certain' players and if this is true, then well done TS for standing your ground.

    Comments anyone?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    14,201
    Some of us can pay our players 6k a week and above and remain in budget at league one level .

    Why should we lose our competitive edge just because other clubs cant manage their finances correctly ? .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,425
    It's a long time since I've seen a player in Div one worth 6k a week so that's too high IMO.
    What he's saying is pretty obvious and nothing that we don't already know but I'm pleased he's said it as he seems to be one of the more sensible Chairman

    Clubs coming down from the Cship won't like it though. We were talking to some Sunderland fans who said they've only just got rid of their 40/50/60k a week earners in June 2019 but I bet many are still on 20-30k a week. Not sure how cship wages could be dealt with in div one when a team comes down eg Stoke

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,335
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Some of us can pay our players 6k a week and above and remain in budget at league one level .

    Why should we lose our competitive edge just because other clubs cant manage their finances correctly ? .
    True, and that’s it in a nutshell don’t pay what you can’t afford, every club should budget and forcastnat least 12 months in advance so it shouldn’t be a shock when the cash runs out!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    28,234
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Some of us can pay our players 6k a week and above and remain in budget at league one level .

    Why should we lose our competitive edge just because other clubs cant manage their finances correctly ? .
    animal fella, I find you a great contributor to our board with your postings but please don't get carried away. You could only afford, under the late Mr Patrick Cryne, to pay 6k plus because you sold players on at a great profit. Remove those players and you would just have been another bread and butter team in League 1.

    I think what you achieved with your academy players and selling the likes of Sones for 11 million amazing but, do you know who your current highest earner is and how much they are on?

    Furthermore, should you drop down a league, which is looking inevitable unless you pull a rabbit out of a hat, then you will be adjusting wages accordingly and I dare say none of your players will be on above 6k a week.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    14,201
    Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    True, and that’s it in a nutshell don’t pay what you can’t afford, every club should budget and forcastnat least 12 months in advance so it shouldn’t be a shock when the cash runs out!
    We don't pay our players 20k a week when we are in the championship either just because we are in the championship .

    Feck that idea straight off , when we drop down in to league I want us to exercise our greater resources and recruit the better players .

    Not my problen Peterborough only get 6k through the gate and we get double that .

    McAnthony has had this bee in his bonnet because they can't get out of league one and is always whinging about the bigger clubs in league one , he was at it last season too .

    Bring the league closer to you hey McAnthony is about the gist of it .

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    14,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    animal fella, I find you a great contributor to our board with your postings but please don't get carried away. You could only afford, under the late Mr Patrick Cryne, to pay 6k plus because you sold players on at a great profit. Remove those players and you would just have been another bread and butter team in League 1.

    I think what you achieved with your academy players and selling the likes of Sones for 11 million amazing but, do you know who your current highest earner is and how much they are on?

    Furthermore, should you drop down a league, which is looking inevitable unless you pull a rabbit out of a hat, then you will be adjusting wages accordingly and I dare say none of your players will be on above 6k a week.
    I ain't getting carried away Brin , far from it , I know full well where we sit in the football foodchain .

    In the championship we are a minnow but in league one we are a serious player who can pay our players significantly more money than the majority .

    Money we are able to pay , its a fact .

    Why should we be penalised for that ?

  8. #8
    On the face of it salary caps seem a good idea, bit in practice clubs will find a way around the cap to attract better players.

    Things such as a “free club vehicle” or a second position like “ bucket carrier” so they get a second salary for bucket carrying.

    So you get a John Bercow situation where there’s a basic salary but a large number of perks that are bolted on.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    28,234
    animal, For me MacAnthony has got it spot on. Let's stop this greedy demands from players compared to the working class man/woman.
    If they won't sign for 6k or less a week then feck em. Let's see who else will sign them.

    It's not the Prem or Championship, which by the way is classed as the 4th best league in Europe, and wages should reflect that.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    14,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    For me MacAnthony has got it spot on. Let's stop this greedy demands from players compared to the working class man/woman.
    If they won't sign for 6k or less a week then feck em. Let's see who else will sign them.

    It's not the Prem or Championship, which by the way is classed as the 4th best league in Europe, and wages should reflect that.
    Brin , football clubs have control over their finances , nobody forces them to spend money they don't have .

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    28,234
    Yes, but along come the likes of a Bury Chairman who has wiped out a lifetime of a football club in one stroke because of his inept common sense and stupid dreams/greed to gain promotion. This simply has to be stamped out.

    Without paying players 10k a week last season, Bury would never have got promoted and they may well still be in the EFL leagues and loyal fans who supported them for absolute lifetime decades would still have a club.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1,411
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Brin , football clubs have control over their finances , nobody forces them to spend money they don't have .
    Spot on.

    Yet Brin was most vocal on here imploring our Chairman to spend in the last January window to keep us in the Championship.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    14,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Yes, but along come the likes of a Bury Chairman who has wiped out a lifetime of a football club in one stroke because of his inept common sense and stupid dreams/greed to gain promotion. This simply has to be stamped out.

    Without paying players 10k a week last season, Bury would never have got promoted and they may well still be in the EFL leagues and loyal fans who supported them for absolute lifetime decades would still have a club.
    So those of us who retain control of our finances have to suffer because the Bury owner fecked them up ?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Brin , football clubs have control over their finances , nobody forces them to spend money they don't have .

    Well considering that the average U.K. household has a credit card debt of approx 2700 they are in good company.

    Most of Britain spends money it doesn’t have

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    14,201
    MacAnthony has what can only be described as the little man syndrome .

    Always whinging about this , that and the other .

    His latest line of attack is to try and punish the bigger clubs than Peterborough who drop down in to league one , he was at this last season too when things went tyts up for his club despite setting the league on fire early doors , I never heard a word out of him when they were top in September last year .

    Ipswich Town are attracting over 21k in league one , Sunderland 25k , Pompey 18k and all of a sudden it's not fair because his little club only get 6k .

    Do me a favour McAnthony try using some of the huge sums of money you've received for many of your better players more effectively and then you might get out of league one .

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    28,234
    Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Spot on.

    Yet Brin was most vocal on here imploring our Chairman to spend in the last January window to keep us in the Championship.
    And your point is?

    I like others on here wanted TS to go for new blood to sustain Championship status, but not on a 10k a week player! Yes, IF we had brought in those players who knows what league we would have been in this season but eh ho, we are where we are.

    Your post is pointless fella....

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    18,229
    Not bothered about salary caps but I say clubs who keep their ship in order relative to their income should be awarded extra points at the end of the season so clubs like accers would have a decent chance of promotion. I would also give bonus league to clubs who grow their own talent. So who knows technically you could finish the bottom of the league but when you get your bonus points you could go up.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,425
    Even if a club can afford it these players are paid way too much for their ability. Same for large parts of the cship too.
    Income from fans doesn,t cover the costs of operating a football club of which players salaries is the biggest liability. So even the big clubs will be bankrolled by owners and high attendances aren,t a true parameter of a clubs ability to be self sufficient.

    So i agree with the pboro chairman because these players aren,t worth it and salaries are crazy for the ability on show
    Last edited by flourbasher; 12-10-2019 at 09:59 PM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    On the face of it salary caps seem a good idea, bit in practice clubs will find a way around the cap to attract better players.

    Things such as a “free club vehicle” or a second position like “ bucket carrier” so they get a second salary for bucket carrying.

    So you get a John Bercow situation where there’s a basic salary but a large number of perks that are bolted on.
    Not like you to bring a party political analogy into a football thread.

    Your vinyl is dusty.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,985
    Some people actually listen to vinyl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •