+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Darragh MacAnthony - fantastic suggestion!

Darragh MacAnthony - fantastic suggestion!

Peterborough owner Darragh MacAthony has spoken out and suggested a good compromise in order to protect lower league clubs. Alas this isn't implemented yet, but may well have saved Bury FC if it had been.

He is calling on all League 1 and 2 clubs to put in place a ceiling cap of a maximum wage of £6,000 a week to players.

'If we don't do something it will be someone else's club to go bust next' he explained. The Posh boss has formulated a 10 point plan to ease the financial strain in the lower leagues, including a £2 million fund to bail out stricken clubs.

MacAnthony wants players, and their union, the PFA, to agree to limit salaries for the good of the game.

Think back to Bury. They had players on £10,000 a week, an absolute joke and no wonder they went under.
    I personally think that all Chairmen of the lower leagues should call a meeting with the PFA and get this thrashed out and implemented.

I feel Tony Stewart already practices this and maybe is the reason why we haven't signed 'certain' players and if this is true, then well done TS for standing your ground.

Comments anyone?

Some of us can pay our players 6k a week and above and remain in budget at league one level .

Why should we lose our competitive edge just because other clubs cant manage their finances correctly ? .

It's a long time since I've seen a player in Div one worth £6k a week so that's too high IMO.
    What he's saying is pretty obvious and nothing that we don't already know but I'm pleased he's said it as he seems to be one of the more sensible Chairman

Clubs coming down from the Cship won't like it though. We were talking to some Sunderland fans who said they've only just got rid of their £40/50/60k a week earners in June 2019 but I bet many are still on £20-30k a week. Not sure how cship wages could be dealt with in div one when a team comes down eg Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Some of us can pay our players 6k a week and above and remain in budget at league one level .

Why should we lose our competitive edge just because other clubs cant manage their finances correctly ? .
    True, and that’s it in a nutshell don’t pay what you can’t afford, every club should budget and forcastnat least 12 months in advance so it shouldn’t be a shock when the cash runs out!

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post

animal fella, I find you a great contributor to our board with your postings but please don't get carried away. You could only afford, under the late Mr Patrick Cryne, to pay 6k plus because you sold players on at a great profit. Remove those players and you would just have been another bread and butter team in League 1.

I think what you achieved with your academy players and selling the likes of Sones for 11 million amazing but, do you know who your current highest earner is and how much they are on?

Furthermore, should you drop down a league, which is looking inevitable unless you pull a rabbit out of a hat, then you will be adjusting wages accordingly and I dare say none of your players will be on above 6k a week.

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    True, and that’s it in a nutshell don’t pay what you can’t afford, every club should budget and forcastnat least 12 months in advance so it shouldn’t be a shock when the cash runs out!
    We don't pay our players 20k a week when we are in the championship either just because we are in the championship .

Feck that idea straight off , when we drop down in to league I want us to exercise our greater resources and recruit the better players .

Not my problen Peterborough only get 6k through the gate and we get double that .

McAnthony has had this bee in his bonnet because they can't get out of league one and is always whinging about the bigger clubs in league one , he was at it last season too .

Bring the league closer to you hey McAnthony is about the gist of it .

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    animal fella, I find you a great contributor to our board with your postings but please don't get carried away. You could only afford, under the late Mr Patrick Cryne, to pay 6k plus because you sold players on at a great profit. Remove those players and you would just have been another bread and butter team in League 1.

I think what you achieved with your academy players and selling the likes of Sones for 11 million amazing but, do you know who your current highest earner is and how much they are on?

Furthermore, should you drop down a league, which is looking inevitable unless you pull a rabbit out of a hat, then you will be adjusting wages accordingly and I dare say none of your players will be on above 6k a week.
    I ain't getting carried away Brin , far from it , I know full well where we sit in the football foodchain .

In the championship we are a minnow but in league one we are a serious player who can pay our players significantly more money than the majority .

Money we are able to pay , its a fact .

Why should we be penalised for that ?

On the face of it salary caps seem a good idea, bit in practice clubs will find a way around the cap to attract better players.

Things such as a “free club vehicle” or a second position like “ bucket carrier” so they get a second salary for bucket carrying.

So you get a John Bercow situation where there’s a basic salary but a large number of perks that are bolted on.

animal, For me MacAnthony has got it spot on. Let's stop this greedy demands from players compared to the working class man/woman.
    If they won't sign for £6k or less a week then feck em. Let's see who else will sign them.

It's not the Prem or Championship, which by the way is classed as the 4th best league in Europe, and wages should reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    For me MacAnthony has got it spot on. Let's stop this greedy demands from players compared to the working class man/woman.
    If they won't sign for £6k or less a week then feck em. Let's see who else will sign them.

It's not the Prem or Championship, which by the way is classed as the 4th best league in Europe, and wages should reflect that.
    Brin , football clubs have control over their finances , nobody forces them to spend money they don't have .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast