+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Darragh MacAnthony - fantastic suggestion!

I can remember our former manager Keith Hill moaning and groaning about some of the money Blackburn Rovers were paying their players after a defeat at Ewood Park .

I just thought shut up Keith and get on with it , it wasn't a great listen hearing him belly aching .

John Coleman had a winge after our 2-0 win at Accrington last season moaning about how much Kieffer Moore and Cauley Woodrow were on and I just thought John old lad we are averaging 12k at Oakwell not the 3k you do .

We've top weight on in the championship trying to compete but it's not necessarily because we balance the books its because we don't spend what resources we have at this level effectively .

McAnthony has pulled in some mega money for the Posh over the years and still they can't get out of league one .

Maybe he should look at his own clubs recruitment and quit moaning .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I ain't getting carried away Brin , far from it , I know full well where we sit in the football foodchain .

In the championship we are a minnow but in league one we are a serious player who can pay our players significantly more money than the majority .

Money we are able to pay , its a fact .

Why should we be penalised for that ?
    Exactly this ^^^^
    Bury chose to pay their players ridiculous salaries and suffered accordingly. Even if they had been restricted to £6k per week they would still have gone bust because they quite simply could not sustain salaries at that level.
    Effectively they cheated, got promoted as a result but still went bust, so what was their strategy in the first place? They obviously didn't have one.
    Football is a business, albeit a poorly run one but you can't impose rules that restrict the abilities of the better functioning clubs to progress simply because other clubs have lower turnovers.
    There is a lot of self interest in the Peterborough chairman's proposal.

Bury went bust because the business of the owner who set the wage budget went bust. The new owner who took over did not have the will or resourse to cover the expediture. This could happen to any club regardless of wage caps.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Bury went bust because the business of the owner who set the wage budget went bust. The new owner who took over did not have the will or resourse to cover the expediture. This could happen to any club regardless of wage caps.
    Indeed it could.

You could go bust spending on things unrelated to players and their wages.

Like Darlington for example.

We don't pay our players 20k a week when we are in the championship either just because we are in the championship .

Feck that idea straight off , when we drop down in to league I want us to exercise our greater resources and recruit the better players .

Not my problen Peterborough only get 6k through the gate and we get double that .

McAnthony has had this bee in his bonnet because they can't get out of league one and is always whinging about the bigger clubs in league one , he was at it last season too .

Bring the league closer to you hey McAnthony is about the gist of it .
    That's probably why they sacked fat boy Evans he kept asking for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    I see you posted early doors, hows the knee is it keeping you awake pal?
    Correct! I'd not actually slept!

We paid silly wages to Black stock, then got bit on the bum,having to pay him off. Peterborough have taken some decent money into their coffers with transfer dealings. But to me the scurge of football in the money given to players is the agents who take big pay outs from the player & mainly the clubs, why not have a maximum fee given to agents, then clubs would not be fleeced out of paying over their budget.

Imo some players get well too much money and yes there should be a cap.

If the club gets in trouble by overspending then they deserve getting punished but we know EFL have different rules for each clubs

I agree with animal on this though
    “The point I'm making is that he's happy to play modern day football when it suits him , when the modern game goes the other way he doesn't like it so much”

McAnthony certainly thinks he’s someone and everyone should listen/do what he thinks in his opinion
    Last edited by millertop; 14-10-2019 at 08:17 AM.

Some of us can pay our players 6k a week and above and remain in budget at league one level .

Why should we lose our competitive edge just because other clubs cant manage their finances correctly ? .
    You only have that competitive edge in league 1. Lets say there was a cap of 10k in the championship wouldn't you want that?

I personally think this is all tied in with Football Fair Play rules not being fit for purpose. Bury, with the gates they were getting shouldn't have been able to pay their players that amount under FFP but the rules are so poor that nothing stops a chairman gambling on the success of their team at the moment.

I can't remember where this idea came from but I think it was my brother who said that when a player is signed by a club the players wages should be guaranteed by an insurance policy. If you are a well run club with assets and low debts (not sure how you would work out this given the smoke and mirrors sometimes) then the insurance policy would be cheap for the club, because the risk of financial difficulties would be low. If the risk is high you would have to pay a higher premium. Therefore the gamble you make as a chairman would cost you money up front in terms of a policy that guarantees the wages of the players and should mean that the club can continue playing football even if behind the scenes things are falling apart. I am not sure if this would work or not, it was just another idea, but might have stopped the Bury situation from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeedsMiller View Post
    You only have that competitive edge in league 1. Lets say there was a cap of 10k in the championship wouldn't you want that?

I personally think this is all tied in with Football Fair Play rules not being fit for purpose. Bury, with the gates they were getting shouldn't have been able to pay their players that amount under FFP but the rules are so poor that nothing stops a chairman gambling on the success of their team at the moment.

I can't remember where this idea came from but I think it was my brother who said that when a player is signed by a club the players wages should be guaranteed by an insurance policy. If you are a well run club with assets and low debts (not sure how you would work out this given the smoke and mirrors sometimes) then the insurance policy would be cheap for the club, because the risk of financial difficulties would be low. If the risk is high you would have to pay a higher premium. Therefore the gamble you make as a chairman would cost you money up front in terms of a policy that guarantees the wages of the players and should mean that the club can continue playing football even if behind the scenes things are falling apart. I am not sure if this would work or not, it was just another idea, but might have stopped the Bury situation from happening.
    I know where we have our competitive edge and where we don't but thanks for reminding me none the less .

If the big championship clubs can pay their players huge sums of money every week and remain within the rules then good luck to them , what's the point of being a big club if you don't have a financial advantage ? .

Where I can see some sort of the levelling of the playing field is when loopholes are found and exploited .

I'd like to see far more robust penalties given out for those who fall foul of FFP and the rules tightened up .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234