+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Southgate for Barnsley?

Southgate for Barnsley?

I see Southgate's started adopting the Barnsley approach to international football.
    Putting young, inexperienced kids into games too big for them.
    When he started giving youth a chance last year it was quite refreshing.
    Now he's started taking this policy a bit too far a la Barnsley.
    I only saw bits of Friday nights game but it was obvious you can't just throw kids in at the deep end no matter how talented.
    Over the past few games he's started playing Mount, Sancho, Rice, Winks, Chilwell, Gomez, with Mings, Maddison, Tomori & Abraham on the bench.
    Most of them haven't got 10 Premier League starts under their belts and Rice & Mount looked lost against wily old heads.
    Add to them over rated, flash in the pan Rashford & out of his depth Keane and this could all blow up in his face.
    Our older heads Stirling, Kane & Rose are hardly leaders either. Henderson is the only one who fits the bill and he's not a regular.
    He's picked a similar team tonight. Maybe they will have too much for a bang average Bulgaria, we'll see.
    But throw this lot into a game against Croatia, Belgium etc in a real tournament and we won't see the ball.
    Much like Barnsley at PNE.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodger1957 View Post
    I see Southgate's started adopting the Barnsley approach to international football.
    Putting young, inexperienced kids into games too big for them.
    When he started giving youth a chance last year it was quite refreshing.
    Now he's started taking this policy a bit too far a la Barnsley.
    I only saw bits of Friday nights game but it was obvious you can't just throw kids in at the deep end no matter how talented.
    Over the past few games he's started playing Mount, Sancho, Rice, Winks, Chilwell, Gomez, with Mings, Maddison, Tomori & Abraham on the bench.
    Most of them haven't got 10 Premier League starts under their belts and Rice & Mount looked lost against wily old heads.
    Add to them over rated, flash in the pan Rashford & out of his depth Keane and this could all blow up in his face.
    Our older heads Stirling, Kane & Rose are hardly leaders either. Henderson is the only one who fits the bill and he's not a regular.
    He's picked a similar team tonight. Maybe they will have too much for a bang average Bulgaria, we'll see.
    But throw this lot into a game against Croatia, Belgium etc in a real tournament and we won't see the ball.
    Much like Barnsley at PNE.
    To be fair to Southgate these are probably the best players we have .

There are significantly better ones playing in the PL , unfortunately they aren't english .

Whether we have better players or not, last Fridays performance proves that you need some experienced older heads.
    But, if we haven't got a better centre half than Keane we are in trouble.
    Rashford p1sses me off as well. He's gone backwards.
    He's like Walcott used to be. Promises a lot but only has one decent game in 10.
    The rest of the time he's embarrassing. There's much better.

Southgate is a shockingly poor manager.
    As an international manager you are able to cherry pick - you are NOT there to develop players.
    You pick the best - no matter what age - and then you gradually introduce individual younger players.
    You don’t try out a bunch of younger players like Southgate has occasionally done.

If this manager dosen’t know his best - which he clearly dosen’t - then he needs foooking off.

It could be argued that these are ideal games for giving the younger lads some valuable experience. Qualification is a certainty. Why not blood them in? Tha can laik 100 premier league games but international football is a different kettle of fish. The poor performance in Czech republic was down to inexperience in midfield granted but they'll learn from it. It's about developing an understanding as a team/squad. Southgate has correctly dropped Delli Ali and Lingard due to poor form. He's selected replacements who have less caps and experience, it's as simple as that for me.

I agree he's right to 'blood' players in games like this, but maybe not all at once.
    Glad Ali & Lingard have been dropped, (not soon enough for me).
    How Keane gets anywhere near the squad is a mystery to me. He's neither a good out & out defender or a ball playing centre half.
    There must be half a dozen better.