+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real Ale or Wine

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    I'm a four for £6 from Morrisons kind of bloke.Wainwrights, Lancaster Blond etc etc.

I used to drink plonk but i have almost totally lost the taste for it.

As for spirits, the odd G&T and a nice glass of port does me nicely.
    Back in the day there were three Yates hostelries in the vicinity of Manchester Piccadilly. A good evening was to be had supping the White Australian All-ins (you weren’t supposed to call them blobs when ordering) and they even had their own brands of port. Sink the Bismarck tonight ran one of their advertisements!

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Mrs S is into G&T 59, nothing new, she always has been, it used to be a simple matter to get her one, not any more. Row upon row of different gins, you have to have a five minute chat with the bar staff before you can make a decision, and that's before you get to the tonic water. I'm fed up with it, I've given up, if she wants a G&T, she gets her own now.
    Aah gin mothers ruin

Personal favourites Portabello road and Martin millers best I’ve found - don’t like all the flavoured ones.

But tonic is the key and my favourite is 1724 tonic it’s not gassy and has a unique taste not like Britvic and Fentimans etc.
    Well worth the investment

My personal wines favourite Sinkov is Amarone Italian red - dried grapes and then pressed - though I’ve been trying a few cheaper different Italian Sangiovese etc which are very good for less money.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    Aah gin mothers ruin

Personal favourites Portabello road and Martin millers best I’ve found - don’t like all the flavoured ones.

But tonic is the key and my favourite is 1724 tonic it’s not gassy and has a unique taste not like Britvic and Fentimans etc.

My personal wines favourite Sinkov is Amarone Italian red - dried grapes and then pressed - though I’ve been trying a few cheaper different Italian Sangiovese etc which are very good for less money.
    I never took you for being a wine connoisseur Army, but then again your continued support for the British ruling class should have warned me earlier!

Natural Quinine, spring water with small bubbles - and Sugar - with NO Artificial Sweetners - a no brainer.

Cheers army, Amarone is not a wine I've ever tasted, but I'll soon be putting that right. I don't drink a lot of Italian reds, I think I drank too much cheap and nasty Chianti and Valpolicello in my younger days, it put me off Italy for a while. I'll sometimes go for a Primitivo from Puglia in a restaurant, it's usually reliable and at the cheaper end of the wine list.

One Italian red I can recommend is Fonterutoli, I don't think it's that widely available but Byrnes in Clitheroe usually stock it. We found out about it by accident, they have an Osteria on their estate and we called in for a meal a few years ago and tried one of their wines, we loved it. There was an oldish guy on the next table with a very attractive young lady in tow, he heard us speaking English and came and sat with us for a while, turned out he actually owned the whole show and he invited us to call round to his villa for a drink anytime we liked. The glare he got from his gorgeous young wife when he said that, made us think it might be wise not to take him up on his kind offer, so we never got to see his villa.
    Last edited by sinkov; 17-10-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Cheers army, Amarone is not a wine I've ever tasted, but I'll soon be putting that right. I don't drink a lot of Italian reds, I think I drank too much cheap and nasty Chianti and Valpolicello in my younger days, it put me off Italy for a while. I'll sometimes go for a Primitivo from Puglia in a restaurant, it's usually reliable and at the cheaper end of the wine list.

One Italian red I can recommend is Fonterutoli, I don't think it's that widely available but Byrnes in Clitheroe usually stock it. We found out about it by accident, they have an Osteria on their estate and we called in for a meal a few years ago and tried one of their wines, we loved it. There was an oldish guy on the next table with a very attractive young lady in tow, he heard us speaking English and came and sat with us for a while, turned out he actually owned the whole show and he invited us to call round to his villa for a drink anytime we liked. The glare he got from his gorgeous young wife when he said that, made us think it might be wise not to take him up on his kind offer, so we never got to see his villa.
    Cheers Sinkov I’ll give it a try.

Don’t know if you have it or not but if you like your wine I have a good app that lets you take a picture of a bottle while you’re out dining etc
    It places it and prices it ( real price - not restaurant).
    It’s Vivino ( brilliant as it stores what you like and sends you offers of similar tastes and tannins etc if you want to receive them.
    Also a wealth of knowledge on wines.

Don’t know if you have it or not but if you like your wine I have a good app that lets you take a picture of a bottle while you’re out dining etc
    It places it and prices it ( real price - not restaurant).
    It’s Vivino ( brilliant as it stores what you like and sends you offers of similar tastes and tannins etc if you want to receive them.
    Thanks army, sounds useful, I'll download it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)