+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Real Ale or Wine

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,701

    Real Ale or Wine

    I think this deserves its own thread 59_60. When I first arrived in Manchester back in 1970 I used to drink Boddingtons and Hydes Anvil Ales with perhaps the occasional pint of Robinsonís Mild. We had our own breweries in the North West in those days. These days I am a confirmed dry white wine drinker. Wonít touch red wines. Maybe my taste buds have changed for one reason or another. I have developed over the last 10 years a quite strong acid reflux which I need medication to control and I do think wine helps with keeping a healthy appetite. Anyway as they say chacon a son gout!

  2. #2
    I quite like the beer our local micro-breweries are providing. Northern Whisper in Rawtenstall and Oscars in Nelson are just two fine local examples.

    I prefer spirits to wine or beer, but can happily sup any of them! (Hic!)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Are you a good white wine drinker though outwood or a £4 a bottle man ?

    Wine is a very personal thing tbh you may like a bottle at £4 which is right for you , ignore my first line.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    Are you a good white wine drinker though outwood or a £4 a bottle man ?

    Wine is a very personal thing tbh you may like a bottle at £4 which is right for you , ignore my first line.
    Premier Cru Chablis is my posh tipple of choice, but at £15.00 a bottle, it's special occasions only.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Try Gavi d Gavi BT itís the Italian equivalent

    Similar pricing

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,701
    Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    Are you a good white wine drinker though outwood or a £4 a bottle man ?

    Wine is a very personal thing tbh you may like a bottle at £4 which is right for you , ignore my first line.
    Definitely a £5 a bottle from Asda drinker army but for a bottle of Australian Yellow Tail I will push the boat out to 6 or even 7 pounds!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    11,479
    I'm a four for £6 from Morrisons kind of bloke.Wainwrights, Lancaster Blond etc etc.

    I used to drink plonk but i have almost totally lost the taste for it.

    As for spirits, the odd G&T and a nice glass of port does me nicely.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,898
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Premier Cru Chablis is my posh tipple of choice, but at £15.00 a bottle, it's special occasions only.
    Chassagne Montrachet is supposed to be the real deal, I picked some up in Majestic a few months back, it was on special offer @ £35 a bottle. It was OK but nowt special, plenty just as good for £10-£15 imo.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,898
    Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    I'm a four for £6 from Morrisons kind of bloke.Wainwrights, Lancaster Blond etc etc.

    I used to drink plonk but i have almost totally lost the taste for it.

    As for spirits, the odd G&T and a nice glass of port does me nicely.
    Mrs S is into G&T 59, nothing new, she always has been, it used to be a simple matter to get her one, not any more. Row upon row of different gins, you have to have a five minute chat with the bar staff before you can make a decision, and that's before you get to the tonic water. I'm fed up with it, I've given up, if she wants a G&T, she gets her own now.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Mrs S is into G&T 59, nothing new, she always has been, it used to be a simple matter to get her one, not any more. Row upon row of different gins, you have to have a five minute chat with the bar staff before you can make a decision, and that's before you get to the tonic water. I'm fed up with it, I've given up, if she wants a G&T, she gets her own now.
    I'm really sick of this new tribe of precocious tw@ts who think they have just discovered ecstasy in supping rhubarb and lavender gin with some New Zealand tonic water. At £8.00 a slug, somebody is really taking the piss!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,701
    Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    I'm a four for £6 from Morrisons kind of bloke.Wainwrights, Lancaster Blond etc etc.

    I used to drink plonk but i have almost totally lost the taste for it.

    As for spirits, the odd G&T and a nice glass of port does me nicely.
    Back in the day there were three Yates hostelries in the vicinity of Manchester Piccadilly. A good evening was to be had supping the White Australian All-ins (you weren’t supposed to call them blobs when ordering) and they even had their own brands of port. Sink the Bismarck tonight ran one of their advertisements!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Mrs S is into G&T 59, nothing new, she always has been, it used to be a simple matter to get her one, not any more. Row upon row of different gins, you have to have a five minute chat with the bar staff before you can make a decision, and that's before you get to the tonic water. I'm fed up with it, I've given up, if she wants a G&T, she gets her own now.
    Aah gin mothers ruin

    Personal favourites Portabello road and Martin millers best Iíve found - donít like all the flavoured ones.

    But tonic is the key and my favourite is 1724 tonic itís not gassy and has a unique taste not like Britvic and Fentimans etc.
    Well worth the investment

    My personal wines favourite Sinkov is Amarone Italian red - dried grapes and then pressed - though Iíve been trying a few cheaper different Italian Sangiovese etc which are very good for less money.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    Aah gin mothers ruin

    Personal favourites Portabello road and Martin millers best I’ve found - don’t like all the flavoured ones.

    But tonic is the key and my favourite is 1724 tonic it’s not gassy and has a unique taste not like Britvic and Fentimans etc.
    Well worth the investment

    My personal wines favourite Sinkov is Amarone Italian red - dried grapes and then pressed - though I’ve been trying a few cheaper different Italian Sangiovese etc which are very good for less money.
    I never took you for being a wine connoisseur Army, but then again your continued support for the British ruling class should have warned me earlier!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    4,641
    Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post

    But tonic is the key and my favourite is 1724 tonic it’s not gassy and has a unique taste not like Britvic and Fentimans etc.
    Well worth the investment
    .
    Natural Quinine, spring water with small bubbles - and Sugar - with NO Artificial Sweetners - a no brainer.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,898
    Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    My personal wines favourite Sinkov is Amarone Italian red - dried grapes and then pressed - though Iíve been trying a few cheaper different Italian Sangiovese etc which are very good for less money.
    Cheers army, Amarone is not a wine I've ever tasted, but I'll soon be putting that right. I don't drink a lot of Italian reds, I think I drank too much cheap and nasty Chianti and Valpolicello in my younger days, it put me off Italy for a while. I'll sometimes go for a Primitivo from Puglia in a restaurant, it's usually reliable and at the cheaper end of the wine list.

    One Italian red I can recommend is Fonterutoli, I don't think it's that widely available but Byrnes in Clitheroe usually stock it. We found out about it by accident, they have an Osteria on their estate and we called in for a meal a few years ago and tried one of their wines, we loved it. There was an oldish guy on the next table with a very attractive young lady in tow, he heard us speaking English and came and sat with us for a while, turned out he actually owned the whole show and he invited us to call round to his villa for a drink anytime we liked. The glare he got from his gorgeous young wife when he said that, made us think it might be wise not to take him up on his kind offer, so we never got to see his villa.
    Last edited by sinkov; 17-10-2019 at 08:38 PM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Cheers army, Amarone is not a wine I've ever tasted, but I'll soon be putting that right. I don't drink a lot of Italian reds, I think I drank too much cheap and nasty Chianti and Valpolicello in my younger days, it put me off Italy for a while. I'll sometimes go for a Primitivo from Puglia in a restaurant, it's usually reliable and at the cheaper end of the wine list.

    One Italian red I can recommend is Fonterutoli, I don't think it's that widely available but Byrnes in Clitheroe usually stock it. We found out about it by accident, they have an Osteria on their estate and we called in for a meal a few years ago and tried one of their wines, we loved it. There was an oldish guy on the next table with a very attractive young lady in tow, he heard us speaking English and came and sat with us for a while, turned out he actually owned the whole show and he invited us to call round to his villa for a drink anytime we liked. The glare he got from his gorgeous young wife when he said that, made us think it might be wise not to take him up on his kind offer, so we never got to see his villa.
    Cheers Sinkov Iíll give it a try.

    Donít know if you have it or not but if you like your wine I have a good app that lets you take a picture of a bottle while youíre out dining etc
    It places it and prices it ( real price - not restaurant).
    Itís Vivino ( brilliant as it stores what you like and sends you offers of similar tastes and tannins etc if you want to receive them.
    Also a wealth of knowledge on wines.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,898
    Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    Don’t know if you have it or not but if you like your wine I have a good app that lets you take a picture of a bottle while you’re out dining etc
    It places it and prices it ( real price - not restaurant).
    It’s Vivino ( brilliant as it stores what you like and sends you offers of similar tastes and tannins etc if you want to receive them.
    Thanks army, sounds useful, I'll download it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •