+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Rhead

I wasn't thinking so much that his openness about mental health was keeping him out of the side.

I think Brindley is keeping just about anybody out on current form. Thought Kelly-Evans looked to lack a bit of quality but Brindley appears to be a fantastic signing.

That comment about his mental health just seemed like maybe he felt it was a factor. Also seems like Ardley goes a bit cool when asked about Tootle. Just seems like maybe there's an underlying beef there.

Anyway, no matter how popular Toots is we appear to be doing quite well without him. Would be a bit mad to complain really.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I suggested him a couple of times earlier this year but now I'd say only if our target man gets recalled.
    Worth a look certainly, if there's budget to spare after Sam Graham went back to his parent club. With McCrory and Bird we've probably got enough cover at centre-half unless Turner or Rawlinson got injured long-term, but if Wootton got injured we would certainly lose some punch up front, plus Rhead would certainly provide good competition for the centre-forward's role. Tyson and Dennis are both good support strikers and link players but neither of them are true bulldozers.
    Last edited by jackal2; 16-10-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Tootle was a decent player in his first season with us but looked hopelessly unfit at the start of last season (he wasn’t alone.)
    It seemed every goal we conceded in the early part of the season was from crosses with our full backs seemingly unable to get anywhere near the opposition.
    Ardley also likes his wide men to cut inside and allow the full backs to bomb on. Maybe Tootle no longer has the legs for that?
    I don’t think there’s any other agenda for why he doesn’t play.
    spot on there KTD. I sit right over the managers dug out and last season in the few times he played I remember Ardleys frustration with Toots unwillingness or inability to get forward. Add to that an inability to cut out the crosses...

I saw Tootle bottle out of a couple of challenges near the dugout against I think Exeter last season. His cards have been marked since then.

Last season, when fit, Tootle contributed very little. So Ardley would of identified RB as a position that needed strengthening. This has been done and Tootle is surplus to requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Kelly-Evans looked like a decent signing for the future but came into the team, barely put a foot wrong and has more room to improve than Tootle with him only being 22, he can also play on the left or right of defence so is a better option to have on the bench when you're only allowed 5 subs as he can cover more than one position.

Then Brindley has looked an even better signing since coming in, unless he gets injured there's no chance Tootle is getting back into contention imo, Tootle may have looked good for us a couple of years ago at a higher level but at the moment Brindley looks a better right back regardless of the current level we're at (he's also played at a higher level) and is again a couple of years younger than Tootle.

As for Rhead... It's a hard no from me, we should be looking in to making Wootton's move a permament one if we're making any kinds of moves for a striker in my opinion. We have three options that all look more than capable imo in Wootton, Dennis and Thomas and then Nathan Tyson as a 4th choice, Rhead would just be competing with him to get onto the bench
    Crickey this is hard, I agree with all the above.

I assumed Tootle Was one Ardley alluded to in a recent interview when he said they had even reduced their expectation on wage payments to make certain players available for loan but had not had any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    I assumed Tootle Was one Ardley alluded to in a recent interview when he said they had even reduced their expectation on wage payments to make certain players available for loan but had not had any takers?
    I would imagine so as we quietly gave Tootle a contract extension in the season we got to the playoffs and he was one of our best players at that point so he's probably one of our top earners

We need to move on from Tootle. Its blindingly obvious that he will never play for the club again. for starters, he is always injured and secondly, we have signed 2 better players for his position..

I never rated Tootle as highly as some on here, but they go to more matches, so fair enough. Kelly-Evans was a trialist and we would probably not have signed him if we hadn't been desperate at the time. Is he really good enough? If he is, why did we sign another RB, a far better one.

We are going in the right direction. Passengers will disembark along the way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast