+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The problems get worse

The problems get worse

Hart,grayson and samuel all out with injuries.
    We are down to bare bones defensively.
    I would be inclined to play 3 at the back with Costello and bell as wing backs.
    Bennett and travis centrally with a 3 prong attack of downing,Armstrong and Gallagher.

We can live without those. 2 wouldn't really feature at all, the other is 4th choice striker. I'd like to have seen Hart. But I just never saw him getting in before Bell or Downing.
    I do think he will go 3 at the back. I don't think we have that many other options.

None of this should come as a surprise though. When it comes to senior players we only have 2 centre halves in the first team. And a kid on loan from City. We let everyone else leave. And didn't bring anyone in. And every side gets injuries. So it was inevitable we would always be leaving ourselves woefully short at centre half. Add to that Lenihan has never played a full season due to on-going injuries, this mistake is of our own making. Teams get injuries, it's about what cover you have.
    This could really hurt us over the next month or 2.

I assumed Hart and Grayson weren't in the U-23 game, because they were going to be on the bench against Huddersfield!

Originally yes aucks but both have picked up injuries.
    Grayson out for a few months and hart has a patella injury,so possibly a few weeks.
    Not great timing,to say we are thin in defence is a major understatement.

I notice Chapman scored again last night. Think he's top scorer with 9. He seems to droppubf down the pecking order, yet is performing as he was asked to do. Oh how our first team could do with an injection of goals right now. Both making them and scoring them.

The concern is mowbray isn't keen on playing flair players as they offer zero protection to the full backs and if the full back that needs protection is Bennett then he needs someone like Rankin Costello in front of him.
    A attack minded wing back/winger like him is needed to protect not only the full back but to push forward too.
    I would utilise him more and more as either a winger or a wing back.

Rankin Costello scored 2. He would really suit the RWB role by the sounds of it. Trouble is, Bennett is captain, so plays.

Why cant Bennett play alongside travis in the middle?
    Bennett is painfully exposed at right back but In central midfield he can still put a battling performance in and probably be more vocal from that role too.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    Why cant Bennett play alongside travis in the middle?
    Bennett is painfully exposed at right back but In central midfield he can still put a battling performance in and probably be more vocal from that role too.
    It's a fair point, Robin, but I suspect it really all comes down to TM not trusting Nyambe in the full-back role.
    Meanwhile, we have Johnson, Evans, Holtby, Rothwell, Downing, Bennett (as you say), Buckley, Smallwood and Davenport who can all play in central midfield alongside Travis - some more attacking in outlook than others. Ironically, NONE of them are injured!
    I really do think it's now or never for Bell and Nyambe. Let Bennett and Downing play in front of them for safety's sake, if necessary, in a 4-4-2.
    I would also like to see more of Rankin-Costello and Chapman, but given what the defence was like against QPR, I doubt too many risks will be taken.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)