+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Retraining Jobs

Retraining Jobs

Morning Guys

Its been a while since I have posted on here, however, there is a wide community of people who could help/give advise etc (its happened before anyway)

I may look to retrain, in a different role/industry to what I am in, and would like some extra advice. It would go down as a modern apprenticeship, I guess, but with me coming up to 40 this year, having not worked in Oil/Gas Industry (not that I would need to be looking at that field alone), i'm just needing to know if people/companies would take me on.

I dont have a HNC/HND in Engineering, of any kind, but do have highers etc and a couple of years of Uni, which gave me a HNC/Credit of some kind.

Apart from a large drop in money to start off with, has anyone else gone down this route? Two ex-folk at my work did it and haven't regretted it (although they say they did get lucky to be picked which has made me think if it is just that - Luck to be picked)

How would I properly go about looking into this further. Any kind advice would be wonderful. Thanks

Looks like shay logan is retraining as a plumber. Maybe contact companies, see what they say. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by fittiered View Post
    Looks like shay logan is retraining as a plumber. Maybe contact companies, see what they say. Good luck.
    Racist.

Well it's a bit vague. There's no mention of what you're doing now, what you intend to do, or how you're going to retrain?

You need to pinpoint exactly what you want to do based on industry need, and which industries you intend to target for your job hunting.

Do your homework then it's nothing to with luck and more a calculated gamble. I did my undergraduate degree at 27, postgraduate at 35 and there were people older than myself.

So don't waste thought weighing up the positive and negatives, just use your thinking time to get a clearer idea what you want to do and get moving...

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    Well it's a bit vague. There's no mention of what you're doing now, what you intend to do, or how you're going to retrain?

You need to pinpoint exactly what you want to do based on industry need, and which industries you intend to target for your job hunting.

Do your homework then it's nothing to with luck and more a calculated gamble. I did my undergraduate degree at 27, postgraduate at 35 and there were people older than myself.

So don't waste thought weighing up the positive and negatives, just use your thinking time to get a clearer idea what you want to do and get moving...
    You're right. It was a little vague in the description, however, I appreciate the comment.

I am in admin/analyst role at my current work (Its Finance) but looking to get away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Master_of_Soulls View Post
    You're right. It was a little vague in the description, however, I appreciate the comment.

I am in admin/analyst role at my current work (Its Finance) but looking to get away from it.
    It's not like the old days where you left school, got a job and stayed in the same type of work for the rest of your working career. Nowadays it's expected to change vocation two or more times.

I don't know if you have time, money or patience to go back to University but there's plenty older people that do. I was talking to intern at my work who is currently do an International Business Management course at the RGU and their second year is abroad. He was in Calagry with travel expenses and board all paid up by the RGU!

You don't have to go back to University but there's plenty of opportunities kicking around if you know what you want and are willing to put the work in.

I'm not saying nothing you don't know but if I was you and wanted changed, and I daresay I will in a couple of years, then I would be looking about to see what I want to do and how I can get work doing it. Once you commit to change there's no turning back and you get on with it...

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    It's not like the old days where you left school, got a job and stayed in the same type of work for the rest of your working career. Nowadays it's expected to change vocation two or more times.

I don't know if you have time, money or patience to go back to University but there's plenty older people that do. I was talking to intern at my work who is currently do an International Business Management course at the RGU and their second year is abroad. He was in Calagry with travel expenses and board all paid up by the RGU!

You don't have to go back to University but there's plenty of opportunities kicking around if you know what you want and are willing to put the work in.

I'm not saying nothing you don't know but if I was you and wanted changed, and I daresay I will in a couple of years, then I would be looking about to see what I want to do and how I can get work doing it. Once you commit to change there's no turning back and you get on with it...
    Not sure if University would suit me again (as I didnt enjoy it the first time) however, I have looked into part time courses at Aberdeen College. Something with a maximum of 2 years to study in it (although I may look at one for 9 months just to see how I would get on with it)

Your other point on the subject matter is more pertinent though. What to take and where would that get me in the job market

You do have qualifications that may get you into nursing I've seen older folk than 40 becoming nurses.
    There's a huge need for them now more than ever I've heard there was a big call out for nurses in Australia to come and work in the Grampian area.

Or what about becoming a boiler maintenance engineer for gas heating boilers I'm sure there's fast tracked courses for that maybe even less than 2 years best checked that time scale out.

Quote Originally Posted by Master_of_Soulls View Post

If you wanted to continue in the "office" environment you could consider retraining as a Business Analyst or Project Manager, you can do either of these roles with a combination of decent people skills and a bit of common sense, the rest of the bits could be learnt through online courses.

(God knows I've seen plenty in either of these two roles that have had absolutely no training of any sort and seem to continue in employment somehow)