+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: F.A.O the Media

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    Quite right Greyhound. Morning Star Claptrap. The guys just a keyboard warrior who would never have the ba*ls to say things he says on here to peoples faces but hey, from the safety of your keyboard you can say what you like to anyone..yes? As for having a meet up at Charlton with you...LOL. Yes. That’s really going to happen with thousands of people around right? LOL. You got more chance of winning euro millions than him turning up and there will probably be a queue in front of you ��

Fair play fella as you served in the conflict. I didn’t but have a 20 year background in martial arts including 6 or so years training in self defence with the military. Spent quite a bit of time with UK forces over the years at training camps and at exhibitions at places like the NEC and got to know a few who served in the Falklands. Everything I heard was it was no picnic but a bloody hard slog. Yes the Argentinians were a conscripted army but they were dug in and had home advantage. The post script is that we could have easily lost that conflict if certain people bother to read about it but we didn’t.

I also spent some time in Argentina including time in Ushuaia where their invasion force sailed from. Whilst it’s still a hot potato over there, it’s a doubled edged sword as we helped rid them of a military who killed 70,000 of their own people, so many of them I spoke to whilst pi*sed off about ownership of the islands felt it was a good thing their dictatorship came up against a real army and in that respect we did them a massive favour.

So, ‘ragtag’ army is a term born out of ignorance and disrespects soldiers on both sides. I read his comments correctly first time and they’re disrespectful. As you say, left wing claptrap that dismissed a serious military conflict where people on all sides lost too many. Nice to see you posting��
    How do you do it Clueso. I've clearly been rumbled...as someone who wouldn't dare criticise Margaret Thatcher in public, but wait for the cloak of anonymity on a football message board to do it. How did you figure me out...

What I will say, much more sincerely, is that I agree the 'ragtag' comment is disrespectful to those who lost their lives on all sides. So I do genuinely apologise for that.

But the rest I stand by, online or in person. Especially the main point I was attempting to make - which is that the Falklands War was a stroke of great fortune for Thatcher and her career.

Anyway, I'd better get back to the day job. These Morning Star columns aren't going to write themselves..

Unpopular opinion. Although I don't read the Morning Star I think 123 makes a lot of valid points on this thread. Certainly much closer to my memories of the 80s anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    How do you do it Clueso. I've clearly been rumbled...as someone who wouldn't dare criticise Margaret Thatcher in public, but wait for the cloak of anonymity on a football message board to do it. How did you figure me out...

What I will say, much more sincerely, is that I agree the 'ragtag' comment is disrespectful to those who lost their lives on all sides. So I do genuinely apologise for that.

But the rest I stand by, online or in person. Especially the main point I was attempting to make - which is that the Falklands War was a stroke of great fortune for Thatcher and her career.

Anyway, I'd better get back to the day job. These Morning Star columns aren't going to write themselves..
    That's fair enough 123. I think from a ratings point of view the war definitely helped her get re-elected. I don't buy in to the idea that the war was allowed to happen for this reason though as has been suggested in various outlets in the past. I actually remember the 80's as a time where there was a lot of unrest and many of Thatchers decisions were very unpopular. A lot of inner cities in the 70's and 80's were pretty grim as I remember them. I also think she got a lot wrong but she also made some long term changes as the country simply had to change from the basket case it was. So, I'm not suggesting it was all sunshine and I can see where the critisism comes from but what she inherited was a hopeless mess ...but...just my 2 cents.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)