+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I didn't want us in the playoffs this season anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not sure about your appraisal of Cocu, Swale.
    He’s an intelligent and vastly experienced football man who has hardly had the best of luck since he took over.
    Not only has the club struggled/proved unable to replace three players now deemed to be of Premiership quality, but we’ve had ‘JoinersGate’, the long term loss of our captain/defensive rock and disruptive injuries to three crucial players in Bogle, Huddlestone and Marriott.
    I know it’s been a disappointing first two months of the season but I reckon any new manager would have struggled given those circumstances.
    For me the drinking episode is a sign that all is not well in how Cocu is running things at the club, its indiscipline pure and simple and not a good sign.

Who would have thought Huddlestone would get injured? Couldn't have seen that one coming!Cocu made a player captain who will most likely not be playing in 50% of the games again bad judgement/management.

Players being played out of position, no indication that there is a clear tactical aim, or if there is the players sure as hell don't seem to know it and very worrying signs of players not having any togetherness on the pitch, no fight, fragile confidence, lack lustre performances - can't all be blamed on injuries and lack of form in my book.

I may be proven wrong but as we approach November all I see is a manager who is negative and severely limited in his tactical approach.

As for his record as a manager, mm where exactly has he pulled up any trees? Moderately successful with one Dutch club, total failure elsewhere, not that he has had that many other clubs!

Mel's dropped the ball with this appointment, somebody sold him the lie that Cocu was some wonder total football Dutch manager, which he clearly isn't and has neither the experience or know how for the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    For me the drinking episode is a sign that all is not well in how Cocu is running things at the club, its indiscipline pure and simple and not a good sign.

Who would have thought Huddlestone would get injured? Couldn't have seen that one coming!Cocu made a player captain who will most likely not be playing in 50% of the games again bad judgement/management.

Players being played out of position, no indication that there is a clear tactical aim, or if there is the players sure as hell don't seem to know it and very worrying signs of players not having any togetherness on the pitch, no fight, fragile confidence, lack lustre performances - can't all be blamed on injuries and lack of form in my book.

I may be proven wrong but as we approach November all I see is a manager who is negative and severely limited in his tactical approach.

As for his record as a manager, mm where exactly has he pulled up any trees? Moderately successful with one Dutch club, total failure elsewhere, not that he has had that many other clubs!

Mel's dropped the ball with this appointment, somebody sold him the lie that Cocu was some wonder total football Dutch manager, which he clearly isn't and has neither the experience or know how for the championship.
    You may be right and certainly have a point about Huddlestone’s fitness record.

Tbf...I haven’t referred to his ‘record as a manager’ but I suspect your comments on the ‘drinking and indiscipline’ may be unfounded.

We, well I certainly, simply don’t know how indicative that night’s activities were. The difference may just be that there was an accident that night and they got ‘caught’ on that particular occasion. Football and alcohol have always been natural bedfellows and although they may not have ever been guilty of drinking and driving I don’t believe that even such heroes as Wright, McMinn, McFarland and Mackay were immune to ‘sessions’ during the season.

I may not be right about Cocu but I hope you’re wrong. I don’t understand all his decisions - like playing Marriott out wide on Wednesday night - but there was certainly no shortage of ‘togetherness’ from the dugout that night and I think he deserves longer. He’s been in charge for two and a half difficult months and deserves a break imo.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 26-10-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Got absolutely robbed at Hull though

Legit goal wrongly chalked off because the scummy ref decided we weren't winning

NO VAR for that one look

Although our defending is absolutely horrible. Needs sorting in January and we'll be fine for mid table, build on it next summer

You may be right and certainly have a point about Huddlestone’s fitness record.

Tbf...I haven’t referred to his ‘record as a manager’ but I suspect your comments on the ‘drinking and indiscipline’ may be unfounded.

We, well I certainly, simply don’t know how indicative that night’s activities were. The difference may just be that there was an accident that night and they got ‘caught’ on that particular occasion. Football and alcohol have always been natural bedfellows and although they may not have ever been guilty of drinking and driving I don’t believe that even such heroes as Wright, McMinn, McFarland and Mackay were immune to ‘sessions’ during the season.

I may not be right about Cocu but I hope you’re wrong. I don’t understand all his decisions - like playing Marriott out wide on Wednesday night - but there was certainly no shortage of ‘togetherness’ from the dugout that night and I think he deserves longer. He’s been in charge for two and a half difficult months and deserves a break imo.
    Indeed times were different, many players in the 60's and 70's used to go out on the lash, but these days its not usual, drinking and being a top athlete does not go hand in hand. I'm not saying there is a culture in the club, but the fact is that incident happened and included the captain! That it occurred at all is indicative of a lack of professionalism by players and the manager.

I don't see there is a choice bit to keep with him, we can't afford to get rid, just my opinion that the appointment was flawed and that we are going nowhere this season.

And yes you might say we were unlucky to lose to Hull, but thats a familiar refrain this season, we were unlucky to lose, to draw, we should have won! Really? In the odd game here or there perhaps, but in a run of games? There are clear flaws, in defence, we can't and won't core enough I said this in early September, cannot see where the goals will come from, little creativity, given the money thats been spent we are a shambles at the moment.

That is the most annoying thing, Swale, the amount that has been spent over a number of seasons and we have no foundation to show for it, no sign that a core of a team has been established! The amount spent has required PP to be moved around like we are playing some board game, a transaction that is being closely scrutinised by the league and may yet result in sanctions!! Monopoly money producing zilch, nothing more than has beens, never will be's and downright overpaid dross!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    That is the most annoying thing, Swale, the amount that has been spent over a number of seasons and we have no foundation to show for it, no sign that a core of a team has been established! The amount spent has required PP to be moved around like we are playing some board game, a transaction that is being closely scrutinised by the league and may yet result in sanctions!! Monopoly money producing zilch, nothing more than has beens, never will be's and downright overpaid dross!
    Absolutely. It's all good and proper blaming players like Lawrence and Malone, but without any spine, there's nothing to build on, just wishful hoping that we can get some decent loan players with a bit of flair will never be enough.

That said, I still think we've got a useful mid-table side, so something can be built, we just need to give a manager some time to do it.

Adi like your optimism of his table I've just driven back from Hull and I'm convinced unless there are major changes in Jan this squad will take us down They are that bad Hull are the worst team I've seen this season and we never really created anything yet again We have a terrible defence two awful full backs and two centre backs who couldn't pass water and a manager who insists that they can Effort today ,can't fault it we just have very average players who either can't or who are not allowed to think outside the box The manager I can't really make up my mind about him He obviously thought because we reached the playoffs we had decent players. But only three who started the Wembley final started the match today one of them was the keeper Hard days ahead fans don't really start worrying till your in the bottom three ,afraid that's only a matter of time .Would you want these players in a relegation scrap no me neither

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Indeed times were different, many players in the 60's and 70's used to go out on the lash, but these days its not usual, drinking and being a top athlete does not go hand in hand. I'm not saying there is a culture in the club, but the fact is that incident happened and included the captain! That it occurred at all is indicative of a lack of professionalism by players and the manager.

I don't see there is a choice bit to keep with him, we can't afford to get rid, just my opinion that the appointment was flawed and that we are going nowhere this season.

And yes you might say we were unlucky to lose to Hull, but thats a familiar refrain this season, we were unlucky to lose, to draw, we should have won! Really? In the odd game here or there perhaps, but in a run of games? There are clear flaws, in defence, we can't and won't core enough I said this in early September, cannot see where the goals will come from, little creativity, given the money thats been spent we are a shambles at the moment.
    ‘Drinking and being a top athlete does not go hand in hand’. Shouldn’t, I agree, but judging from the number of top players (not ours) who’ve been in trouble recently it sadly seems to.

Wouldn’t disagree with the rest of what you or mista and macstheman have to say. Only listened to the second half on the radio today and it all seemed sadly inevitable.

I can’t believe Cocu hasn’t forgotten more than most of us have ever known about football but the reluctance to stick with a settled team and his use of subs was bewildering this afternoon.

‘Drinking and being a top athlete does not go hand in hand’. Shouldn’t, I agree, but judging from the number of top players (not ours) who’ve been in trouble recently it sadly seems to.

Wouldn’t disagree with the rest of what you or mista and macstheman have to say. Only listened to the second half on the radio today and it all seemed sadly inevitable.

I can’t believe Cocu hasn’t forgotten more than most of us have ever known about football but the reluctance to stick with a settled team and his use of subs was bewildering this afternoon.
    RA good footballers don't always make good managers. Entirely different hanging Dutch football with naturally gifted players. The Championship is a whole new ball game to him. Have to admit he's had a poor hand to deal with ,the time factor for pre season, lack of signings, losing Keogh Huddleston Bogle ,Marriott who looks about as fit as I do. The problem when your not playing well ,the manager is always on a loser with fans some want a settled side and some demand changes Personally I would only use Martin of the bench ,he seems to have little impact when he starts Obviously were missing Keogh for his organisation but Huddleston is a bigger miss imo We are way short on the football brain side There were pluses today the effort was there ,one but if skill we would have got three points because they were there for the taking ,but as usual decisions and final pass poor again Not sure how they beat Forest

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)