+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our Defence

Our Defence

Today just sums up Robbies failure over the last few weeks, a title winning team will always first and foremost have a solid defence, which gives the rest of the team the confidence to go out and do what they are good at, unfortunately we are sadly lacking at the back, 2 injured players only (Connolly and Robson) and we are looking like a team that would fight off relegation, Watson is a liability, Brown is mediocre at best and Smith is getting played out of position because Robble has not got cover for right back which is bad management when building a squad capable of winning this Mickey Mouse league, After the start we had the sky is falling in on us and we will be lucky to get a play off place, changes in tactics have to be made now. Or we can forget promotion for years to come.

How the f ucks Sprole no at LB though? Smiths been outstanding at RB

Spot on ( Ask Robbie)

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    How the f ucks Sprole no at LB though? Smiths been outstanding at RB
    This^^

Missing Connolly and Robson

Brown and Watson should not be in the team really

Quote Originally Posted by Tomb View Post
    Today just sums up Robbies failure over the last few weeks, a title winning team will always first and foremost have a solid defence,
    The mistakes started at the start of the season when Bouhenna, Frans and Booth were allowed to depart. Even when Booth came back to train after his failed move he could have been signed up.

The signs were there that some were fragile on plastic, and we really should have had proper cover for that, or are we to accept we will ship 12 points because of that! Not a chance when others can go there and get results.

I always said not to let Booth go.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Missing Connolly and Robson

Brown and Watson should not be in the team really
    Agree RE: Watson, simple change Smith stays at RB and Sprole who we signed as LB plays at LB, Neilson doesnt see this for some reason

The posters who think it will all work out when Connolly returns are in for a shock.I said all summer a centre half was a must and i meant a good one.To be fair i did say that the Shankland signing was a game changer but added a good centre half now and we can win the league.
    I stick by what i said pre season.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    The posters who think it will all work out when Connolly returns are in for a shock.I said all summer a centre half was a must and i meant a good one.To be fair i did say that the Shankland signing was a game changer but added a good centre half now and we can win the league.
    I stick by what i said pre season.
    Connollyís a liability, and canít believe people want/think weíll improve when heís back, feck me!!!

As others have said, Neilsonís weaknesses are now being exposed, and sadly, weíll relinquish this league after such a great start. Tactics and team selection by our stubborn manager will see to that, for sure!

the nearest we have to a dominating centre half is butcher

I would say that our defence is probably on a par or slightly better than Dundee's,they got run ragged at East End Park we cruised it at the same venue only a couple of weeks later.They conceded one at QOTS yet we get FN hammered,where the phuck has it all went wrong in a couple of months?.

the manager has to take the flak for this as much as the players....2 weak areas re full backs because he moves Smith

Sporle was brought in as competition for Robson we were told....doesn't get a game at left back when required,,, says it all really.

as been mentioned b4 RN let players leave without sufficient cover of the required standard for a team supposedly going for promotion??

This 2 yr extension didn't sit well with me prior to today....now I feel even more uncomfortable with it!

the timing for me is all wrong....end of the season ONCE WE KNEW WHERE WE WERE or if we were close to going up possibly earlier....so far nout has been achieved and we obviously still have major issues on the park.

The most solid and composed we have looked all season is when butcher played at CB. However there was a big push to get him back into the middle of the park once Brown was brought in. Apparently we needed his dig in midfield...that doesnít seem to be working. Next game have butcher, Reynolds, smith (RB please!) and Sporle. Get Banks in there along with macmullan, Stanton and Harkes. Louis and Lawrence upfront. Total joke of line ups for last month FFS!!

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    the nearest we have to a dominating centre half is butcher

this.....again our strongest midfielder is our best centre half!

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    Agree RE: Watson, simple change Smith stays at RB and Sprole who we signed as LB plays at LB, Neilson doesnt see this for some reason
    He appears to be the only person on the planet who doesn't see this!! It was so glaringly obvious against Alloa that Smith at LB and Watson at RB was a **** idea!

Itís glaringly obvious that our defence is the weakest part of the team and if nt addressed quickly will lose us the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabknight View Post
    Itís glaringly obvious that our defence is the weakest part of the team and if nt addressed quickly will lose us the league.
    Based on.last 2 "performances" and 4 of last 5 the whole team is **** at the moment. Only Shanks late 2 goals v Arbroath have averted a full blown crisis. Need to be winning next 2 now before ICT away.

im gonna add here too that McMullan doesnt play as well as when Smiths behind him at RB so another detrimental effect

It just kills us completely. Smith is totally ineffective getting forward (understandably since he's on his wrong foot!) and Watson has next to no ability with the ball at his feet and offers absolutely nothing going forward anyway.
    4-2-3-1 lives and dies with the full-backs. It's a system where they provide the majority of width. We seen it for huge chunks of last season. We had Booth at LB and Watson at RB. Neither of the 2 of them have any ability to get in behind the opposition. And we suffered as a result. This season we've been at our best with Robson and Smith pushing on from full-back and properly stretching teams. Thus creating more space for our attacking players. Somehow Neilson has completely missed this, even after watching us struggle like phuck to create anything against Alloa. Concerning.