+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Haringey vs Yeovil abandoned due to racism

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    The problem I have with this, who would be stupid enough to do it?
    First I've ever heard of Yeovil having a 'Millwall' element, but if it's true, then I would imagine you're probably talking about a handful of juvenile delinquents who watched the TV coverage last week and figured they could get themselves some attention. If that's the case, then the best way to handle this is to quietly ban these idiots and NOT make it a long-running news story which would give them a profile and possibly encourage copycat incidents. I can't think of any other reason this would suddenly occur out of the blue, because racism really hasn't been a factor on English terraces for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Haven't heard a racist comment at a Notts or England game for over 20 years now.
    I've heard 2 at Notts games in the past 10 years, both from Notts fans unfortunately. You're always going to get a few knuckledraggers though.

So Yeovil get awarded a peno and their fans decide to racially abuse the keeper

I was at the Haringey match today. Notts fan but live in north London and go regularly. Boro are a family club and it’s always jarring when fans of “big” clubs come and act like they’re ultras. I take my little boy and it’s just not what the club is about. Not sure exactly what happened today but a bottle was thrown and Yeovil fans were abusing our players... who knows what was said but it was completely unnecessary. I fully support them if they didn’t want to continue. This isn’t even their day job so why should they put up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    First I've ever heard of Yeovil having a 'Millwall' element, but if it's true, then I would imagine you're probably talking about a handful of juvenile delinquents who watched the TV coverage last week and figured they could get themselves some attention. If that's the case, then the best way to handle this is to quietly ban these idiots and NOT make it a long-running news story which would give them a profile and possibly encourage copycat incidents. I can't think of any other reason this would suddenly occur out of the blue, because racism really hasn't been a factor on English terraces for decades.
    No need for any further enquires, Inspector Jackal of the Yard has already decided what sort of people did it, why they did it and also what to do next.

Tune in next week as Inspector Jackal solves the mysteries of Jack the Ripper, Shergar and UFOs.

This is the problem of events earlier this week is if there were to be copy cat events. There is nothing to stop individuals or a group with these intentions entering a football ground and sitting in either the home or away end. It could even be speculated that if this kind of thing has happened at Yeovil that they may not even be Yeovil supporters.

If this kind of thing has happened then it would be bad news for football, for Yeovil as a club and for the town. I'd imagine 99.9% of Yeovil fans would be appauled, embarrassed and ashamed of the actions of a tiny minority.

One thing that needs to happen is if anything like this happens that it is nipped in the bud by clubs, the local police and the footballing authorities with a zero tolerance approach. Also any individual should be identified and dealt with by the authorities and be given bans for life from attending football matches. Wholesale punishments for clubs will not work and will only mean the 99.9% of fans suffer.

Football has come along way since the dark days of hooliganism and there is no place for what we saw in Bulgaria or anywhere in modern 21st century Britain, particularly in this countries football stadiums.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 19-10-2019 at 08:14 PM.

In fact, the closest thing I've heard to a racial stereotype was a Notts chant from 20-25 years ago which jokingly alleged that a certain legendary player "smokes marijuana", but it was certainly not malicious or intended
    I can remember a song about a black players head looking like a malteser around the same time and was definitely sang with affection towards the player but if it was sang today would be deemed racist by the snowflakes

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post
    I can remember a song about a black players head looking like a malteser around the same time and was definitely sang with affection towards the player but if it was sang today would be deemed racist by the snowflakes
    Also a certain Charlie Palmer and his smoking habits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartlett's Dust View Post
    Also a certain Charlie Palmer and his smoking habits.
    Is you username after Kevin B of Notts County?

Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    Nothing to do with the morality, or lack of it , but just out of curiosity, if the game is abandoned does the score stand ?
    From the reports on R5live, the decision to quit was by Haringey, unilaterally. So I would think they will forfeit the match.

I agree with the posts which think it's most likely a "copy cat" attempt to get 15 mins of fame by a handful of idiots. Which appears, alas, to have succeeded.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast