+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Haringey vs Yeovil abandoned due to racism

O/T:- Haringey vs Yeovil abandoned due to racism

FA Cup tie abandoned after reports of racial abuse. Disgusting and very sad. Manager took his team off the field amid accusations of racism, bottle throwing and spitting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50111754
    Last edited by SwalePie; 19-10-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Haven't heard a racist comment at a Notts or England game for over 20 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    FA Cup tie abandoned after reports of racial abuse. Disgusting and very sad. Manager took his team off the field amid accusations of racism, bottle throwing and spitting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50111754

This is so depressing. I mean, why? Even if you're an uber white supremacist, what does this type of behaviour at football matches supposed to achieve? They must be p!$$ed out of their minds.

Yeovil for god's sake, a Championship club not so long ago that's been around the blocks. This nonsense had pretty much been eradicated from the game until recently. Very concerning and very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    This is so depressing. I mean, why? Even if you're an uber white supremacist, what does this type of behaviour at football matches supposed to achieve? They must be p!$$ed out of their minds.

Yeovil for god's sake, a Championship club not so long ago that's been around the blocks. This nonsense had pretty much been eradicated from the game until recently. Very concerning and very sad.
    So it's been proved beyond doubt there was racist behaviour?

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    So it's been proved beyond doubt there was racist behaviour?
    For the manager to take the team off and for it to be abandoned it doesn't look good. Spitting and bottle throwing is bad enough. Just a week after Bulgaria as well. This could be as damaging to the game as hooliganism in the 80s if we're going to start seeing games called off, it's madness.

Nothing to do with the morality, or lack of it , but just out of curiosity, if the game is abandoned does the score stand ?

For the manager to take the team off and for it to be abandoned it doesn't look good. Spitting and bottle throwing is bad enough. Just a week after Bulgaria as well. This could be as damaging to the game as hooliganism in the 80s if we're going to start seeing games called off, it's madness.
    I never said that it doesn't look good, but has it been proved?

Not just sad, but bizarre.

I think it's fairly well known that racial abuse in certain Eastern European football grounds is commonplace, so the events in Bulgaria were predictable to a certain extent, though by no means acceptable.

However, I've been watching mostly lower league football in England for 30 years and I can genuinely say I've never heard racial abuse directed at players (or anyone!). I've heard just about every other type of insult you could imagine, and some chants that were just as offensive as racism but for different reasons, but racist chanting is not something I've heard or witnessed from Notts fans or indeed from opposition fans.

I've overheard a couple of conversations between older fans that have used outdated language to describe players, but even then I'd say it was not intentionally offensive, more a case of people from an older generation being out of touch with what's considered unacceptable terminology in this day and age. In fact, the closest thing I've heard to a racial stereotype was a Notts chant from 20-25 years ago which jokingly alleged that a certain legendary player "smokes marijuana", but it was certainly not malicious or intended to offend. In fact, it was sung as a tongue-in-cheek tribute to the player in question and nobody complained at the time.

I cannot understand why racist chanting would suddenly re-emerge in an English football match in such a blatant way as to cause the abandonment of a game. You have to assume that both sides and the referee were sufficiently convinced that this necessary, but it's even more odd that this should involve Yeovil, who aren't exactly known for having a nasty fanbase.

No doubt this story will develop in the coming days, and if it's what it appears to be, Yeovil Town will have a lot of questions to answer.
    Last edited by jackal2; 19-10-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

I cannot understand why racist chanting would suddenly re-emerge in an English football match in such a blatant way as to cause the abandonment of a game. You have to assume that both sides and the referee were sufficiently convinced that this necessary, but it's even more odd that this should involve Yeovil, who aren't exactly known for having a nasty fanbase.

No doubt this story will develop in the coming days, and if it's what it appears to be, Yeovil Town will have a lot of questions to answer.
    Yeovil had problems away to Hartlepool as well apparently. According to one of their own fans on twitter, they have a small group of followers who think they're "Millwall". Some are denying racism was involved, others saying it was the monkey chant.

Yeovil had problems away to Hartlepool as well apparently. According to one of their own fans on twitter, they have a small group of followers who think they're "Millwall". Some are denying racism was involved, others saying it was the monkey chant.
    The problem I have with this, who would be stupid enough to do it?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast