+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Haringey vs Yeovil abandoned due to racism

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    It’s ok everyone, Seriouspie has decided what’s offensive and what isn’t. Stand down.

Also I think seriouspie might well have been offended by the response if he called my dad or any of his friends a paddy.
    Bloody Sassenachs also refer to the Scots as Jocks

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Grow up Jeremy. Two of my oldest cricketing friends answer to nothing but their nicknames. Malcolm (Taffy) Jones and Anthony (Jock) Miller are even referred to these names by their wives. Sport especially is full of nicknames, Is David Lloyd offended by his universal nickname of 'Bumble' for example? There is a huge difference between an acceptable nickname and an abusive one and I don't think any of those I mentioned were abusive except the 'N' word which I never use.
    I presume you’re a white, English bloke. Apologies if this presumption is incorrect.

If it’s correct do you think you might not be the best qualified person to decide what names you can call those who aren’t white or English ?

The guy presenting the FA Cup draw said the game is to be replayed " after the racist abuse " . So its now been proved has it?

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    The guy presenting the FA Cup draw said the game is to be replayed " after the racist abuse " . So its now been proved has it?
    Whether racist abuse happened or not, and you seem weirdly determined to deny it ever happening anywhere, the allegation of it IS the reason they stopped the game.

In the facebook video you see general abuse, which there's an argument about whether players should have to deal with that anyway, but you can't SEE any racism, you do however see players reacting in a way that wouldn't be normal if they'd just been called ****.

A skeptic like Navypie might say that as the Bulgaria game and racism in general is very relevant at the moment maybe Haringey players saw the general abuse as an opportunity to have a get out clause after the stick they were getting from Yeovil fans and after conceding a penalty it was the final straw.

I do think Sterling was opportunistic when that Chelsea fan was allegedly racist towards him as nobody near him, including a black guy sat behind him, or Sterling himself, reacted at the time he said it and the guy was a middle aged businessman, lip reading isn't a science and it can look like you're saying all sorts of things, especially with confirmation bias. Whether this was racism or opportunism we'll wait and see, most people on that facebook video are saying there wasn't anything racist said, but as DomDomPie said others have said they did witness it.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Whether racist abuse happened or not, and you seem weirdly determined to deny it ever happening anywhere, the allegation of it IS the reason they stopped the game.

In the facebook video you see general abuse, which there's an argument about whether players should have to deal with that anyway, but you can't SEE any racism, you do however see players reacting in a way that wouldn't be normal if they'd just been called ****.

A skeptic like Navypie might say that as the Bulgaria game and racism in general is very relevant at the moment maybe Haringey players saw the general abuse as an opportunity to have a get out clause after the stick they were getting from Yeovil fans and after conceding a penalty it was the final straw.

I do think Sterling was opportunistic when that Chelsea fan was allegedly racist towards him as nobody near him, including a black guy sat behind him, or Sterling himself, reacted at the time he said it and the guy was a middle aged businessman, lip reading isn't a science and it can look like you're saying all sorts of things, especially with confirmation bias. Whether this was racism or opportunism we'll wait and see, most people on that facebook video are saying there wasn't anything racist said, but as DomDomPie said others have said they did witness it.
    The guy stated like it was fact , at the stage we are at it can only be described as 'alleged' . I do however recognize that can be difficult for you to understand faceache. Saying I think racism doesn't happen anywhere just suits your agenda, of course it does .and white people are also victims( unbelievable I know ) . Anyway, is hypnosis and an ability to read tarot cards within your skill set along with being able to read minds.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post

The guy stated like it was fact , at the stage we are at it can only be described as 'alleged' . I do however recognize that can be difficult for you to understand faceache. Saying I think racism doesn't happen anywhere just suits your agenda, of course it does and white people are also victims( unbelievable I know ) . Anyway, is hypnosis and an ability to read tarot cards within your skill set, along with being able to read minds.

Interesting perspective here about racism in football.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-racism-cancer

When I were down't pit there were many nationalities, each one had an insulting name; Ukraine-no-brain, jam-roll (Pole), black ******* (never ni**er), whitey, etc. And gord help anyone who got upset about it, you'd never the last of it. After a while you grew to realise it really was not an insult directed at you personally but something else, comradeship - you were accepted, so you gave it back - and in times of danger or risk all insults were forgotten, they were there for you and you for them, mates eh?

Like it or not, it happened, fifty years ago, and I'm not ashamed - not one bit.

Friendly banter is another thing altogether, which is not to say that cannot get you into trouble these days (and there's an argument for suggesting law enforcement ought to be dealing with more serious crimes) but what happened at Yeovil was people losing control of their temper to the point of alleged racial abuse. We shouldn't lose sight of that.

You wouldn't expect to get away with that kind of behaviour on public transport or in a cinema etc. Football grounds cannot and should not be an exception.

"Kick it out" and World cup team captains making rambling PC speeches before a game are a joke, the only way this is going to get kicked out is by direct action. Maybe teams walking off is the way forward, I'm absolutely sick and tired of hearing about racism in football but as long as people behave like idiots then it's always going to be an issue. Just because somebody's out on the pitch wearing opposition colours doesn't mean they should have to put up with this BS. People need to grow the **** up and stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Friendly banter is another thing altogether, which is not to say that cannot get you into trouble these days (and there's an argument for suggesting law enforcement ought to be dealing with more serious crimes) but what happened at Yeovil was people losing control of their temper to the point of alleged racial abuse. We shouldn't lose sight of that.

You wouldn't expect to get away with that kind of behaviour on public transport or in a cinema etc. Football grounds cannot and should not be an exception.

"Kick it out" and World cup team captains making rambling PC speeches before a game are a joke, the only way this is going to get kicked out is by direct action. Maybe teams walking off is the way forward, I'm absolutely sick and tired of hearing about racism in football but as long as people behave like idiots then it's always going to be an issue. Just because somebody's out on the pitch wearing opposition colours doesn't mean they should have to put up with this BS. People need to grow the **** up and stop it.
    'You wouldn't expect to get away with that kind of behaviour on public transport or in a cinema etc. Football grounds cannot and should not be an exception'.

But they are in other ways. Would you get away with the language used in chants in any other place? Or if you don't like the film in a cinema shouting abuse?

Not saying it's right though - I personally think it's wrong.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast