+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Haringey vs Yeovil abandoned due to racism

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ross View Post
    From the reports on R5live, the decision to quit was by Haringey, unilaterally. So I would think they will forfeit the match.

It wasn't unilateral. Haringey's manager said:

"Yeovil’s manager and players were different class. Their team tried their best to calm their supporters down, and they said if you’re walking off, we’re walking off with you.”

Also, one of the players who was abused tweeted:

“Can’t believe I’m tweeting this and it’s 2019 but today I was a victim of racism in what was supposed to be a great day for @HaringeyBoroFC. Another game of football ruined by racists. Thanks to @YTFC players and staff who backed our decision to leave the pitch.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football...vil-fa-cup-tie

It’s going to be interesting to see what the outcome is.
    If the result is Haringey forfeit the game then the punishment for those ‘supporters’ is they go through to the next round. And how does that encourage other teams to do the same going forward?
    I’m guessing it was a mindless handful of fans surrounded by a majority of sensible fans. Why aren’t they singled out and dealt with?

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    It’s going to be interesting to see what the outcome is.
    If the result is Haringey forfeit the game then the punishment for those ‘supporters’ is they go through to the next round. And how does that encourage other teams to do the same going forward?
    I’m guessing it was a mindless handful of fans surrounded by a majority of sensible fans. Why aren’t they singled out and dealt with?
    I hope Haringey aren't thrown out, can't see it happening, it sends completely the wrong message out. The Yevil manager was fully behind Haringey's decision, here's what he said:

https://youtu.be/Z7YWEm8Eci4

As a Haringey fan (as well as Notts) I can tell you I don’t care if we get through to the next round or not. The move was about protecting the players & I respect that, whatever the consequences. Don’t think Yeovil should face any punishment - it was at our ground so how are they meant to police that? Worried that Haringey might face fines for not stewarding properly - the fact that the Yeovil fans had bottles to throw - which could hit us a lot harder than any footballing punishment.

There's an ugliness creeping back into football, reflecting the growing ugliness in the country as a whole. In the past year or so, we've had more reports of hooliganism, more reports of racism, more problems with idiot England fans traveling overseas (Prague, Amsterdam are just two obvious examples, with far-right groups reportedly involved).

Can't say I'm surprised somewhere like Yeovil has had two incidents of racism among its fans in the last month (even if it is most likely a handful of idiots who couldn't spell "multiculturalism," never mind understand it). The more homogenous the place, the more likely you are to encounter ignorance about "the other" (Russia and Eastern Europe being classic examples), although obviously you still get racists everywhere.

Haringey Boro (and Yeovil) did the right thing by walking off - zero tolerance to racism. I hope we would do the same in similar circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    No need for any further enquires, Inspector Jackal of the Yard has already decided what sort of people did it, why they did it and also what to do next.

Tune in next week as Inspector Jackal solves the mysteries of Jack the Ripper, Shergar and UFOs.
    I'll have a go!

Quote Originally Posted by sevens_a_secret View Post
    It wasn't unilateral. Haringey's manager said:

"Yeovil’s manager and players were different class. Their team tried their best to calm their supporters down, and they said if you’re walking off, we’re walking off with you.”

Also, one of the players who was abused tweeted:

“Can’t believe I’m tweeting this and it’s 2019 but today I was a victim of racism in what was supposed to be a great day for @HaringeyBoroFC. Another game of football ruined by racists. Thanks to @YTFC players and staff who backed our decision to leave the pitch.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football...vil-fa-cup-tie
    Understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure this is the same as both sides halting together and agreeing to terminate the action.

According to the BBC news web-site there were problems at the Bristol City v Luton match as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post
    Is you username after Kevin B of Notts County?
    No racism at Notts apart from one player, smoking marijuana or one having a head like a Malteser or one having a Pineapple on his head. Was it Racism or just friendly 'worship' of our players?

I sang along at the time not realising it could be construed as racist.

I also saw someone throw a Mars Bars towards Gazza (not at Notts), were they being 'fat-ist'?

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    No racism at Notts apart from one player, smoking marijuana or one having a head like a Malteser or one having a Pineapple on his head. Was it Racism or just friendly 'worship' of our players?

I sang along at the time not realising it could be construed as racist.

I also saw someone throw a Mars Bars towards Gazza (not at Notts), were they being 'fat-ist'?
    Being fat isn't a race, nor is being Scouse, which Karl Robinson did half jokingly tell a Notts fan he was being racist for calling him a "scouse *****"

To think no racism goes on at all at Notts is pure madness (but if you suggest it put your tinfoil hat on because you'd think the accusation of it was worse than actually doing it), you only have to look at our aging fan base and that almost guarantees some fans in the ground will be saying and thinking things that were perfectly fine when they were growing up but not any more, which isn't exactly on the same level as hurling racist abuse at players but it's still racism.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast