+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Football today and winning?

Football today and winning?

Just a thought and bear with me. Football all my life has been about supporting your team through thick and thin and god knows weve been through that but today it seems different, why? Well todays society and not just youth, it almost seems your team losing reflects on you the person...your social standing..Failure, the impact on social media can be immense. We never had social media back in the day. We won I bought the Argus sports paper, we lost i didnt. Today there is so much more and prolonging the agony or ecstasy which may lead to cyber bullying!
    There are so many blogs popping up when we win but not so many when we lose. Most have rubbish footage but conentrate on the scenes especially matches like yesterdays. Fans, young fans were going crazy, delearious almost out of control. I wonder whether its in relief because they can become alive and not have to fear the backlash on their social platforms. Now is this a genuine reaction? I just screamed out Yes with a clenched fist.
    People today need success any success and I do wonder why so many Season tickets were sold this year, yes its great but have we taken on a New breed of Fanatic? Im sure im not the only one struggling for tickets yet at 54, ive been watching villa since I was 10 years old, just where were these New Fanatics last season. I worry for empty seats If we get relegated but hopefully we wont.
    I just hope we increase capacity soon to allow the casual supporter a chance to see their team.
    Im not knocking anyone but something is bugging me about the modern game and the modern supporter!
    And dont get me started on VAR other than to say, Do we need a system to make sure mistakes dont happen to protect the result, the Fan and the club but making a complete hash of it.
    Back to thread, does anyone else share my view or can elaborate further or am I just becoming distant to the modern game? Have a view on You Tube and check out the reactions, you can see people nearly having heart attacks, we beat Brighton not Barcelona!
    Thoughts!

Interesting observations TD, we're all exposed to so much more digital information than only a few years ago that a fairly large size of our support have seen the before and after. Things like bragging rights at work and down the pub have always been part & parcel but not sure they always will as even the biggest of games disappear out of minds to be replaced by the latest talking points on social media. The passion we have for the game isn't seen in my lad (14yrs old) or his mates, it's more of a passing interest to catch up on when the mood suits (at least in his case anyway).

It would be interesting to see from the club the age groups our ST holders fall into, I too worry about empty seats as we inevitably will have bad times among the good and folk (casual supporters) lose enough interest not to go to games in the same way they do with watching their favourite TV shows. SKY started it all with satellite subscriptions whereas we all only had MOTD followed later by the Sunday game on ITV - the game has a become a commoditised product.

On VAR - no-one I've spoken to is positive about what this has very quickly done to match-day experience, the intentions are good but the inconsistencies and change the mood in the stands more than outweighs that. Football exists because of fans going to games generating an atmosphere that is part of the drama of the beautiful game, VAR is spoiling it in the same way as milk turns sour.

In terms of fan reactions - I think you're right to a point where some celebrate so their celebrations appear on Youtube etc. It's a sad fact that folk feel the need to do so in life in general, but not everyone's the same!

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post

On VAR - no-one I've spoken to is positive about what this has very quickly done to match-day experience, the intentions are good but the inconsistencies and change the mood in the stands more than outweighs that. Football exists because of fans going to games generating an atmosphere that is part of the drama of the beautiful game, VAR is spoiling it in the same way as milk turns sour.
    Conor Hourihane scores a goal

• Not a single Brighton player appeals for any infringement on the keeper

• The referee on the spot, with a clear view, saw nothing wrong

• Yet the referee is subsequently over-ruled by an “official” watching on television hundreds of miles away

These decisions clearly demonstrating the very worst of V A R & boy week after week the competition for the accolade of the stupidest V A R judgment is increasing.

Now the PPI deadline has passed, we’ll start to see adverts from ambulance-chasing law firms aimed at football clubs wrongly penalised by this on-going farce

Liverpool had a goal chalked of for what? and manure scored when clearly they committed a foul on the build up. If big Wes because of VAR cannot challege for a loose ball, the game is finished as a contact sport!! What is really annoying is that every goal is being looked at. So whats the point is referees anymore!

The official use of VAR is to overrule any clear or obvious mistake by the on field referee. That and the plethora of rule changes and terminology making some offences subjective means that it is inevitable to cause more problems that it solves. Not one single penalty has been awarded this season from VAR. But how many goals have been chalked off, for a player being literally a few centimetres offside?

The challenge on the BHA goalkeeper was subjective and it wasn't a clear or obvious mistake from the referee.

VAR stands for Villa Are Robbed

Thank god we got the winner in stoppage time

I agree with you, Dave.

On fan reactions, modern society is all ‘just look at me’. They want the whole world to know of their unbridled joy. They truly believe that their emotions of joy and more importantly despair should be broadcast over the world via social media. It’s the modern-day plague of the ‘entitlement to be offended’.

The match is just a sideshow for these ‘snapchat selfie hysterical narcissists’. Look at my joy, my anger, my sorrow, my tears, my exuberant reactions. You can see them every week, prancing in front of their phones, oblivious as to why they are pontificating. They would have missed the goal/sending off whilst attaching their spare phone battery/power pack.

Of course, I celebrate a goal, sing and roar, but I don’t wait for my 11-year-old son to switch his phone on first and start filming me. The Villa is my escape from the outside world and its problems. It’s personal and I chose to share it only with like-minded Villa fans around me. Not with faceless strangers/voyeurs from all over the world, most of whom care nothing for me or AVFC.

Everything is so dramatic, balancing on the cliff edge of hysteria. Now some may say that they pay their money and can do/watch as they wish. Well NO you ignorant arseholes you are ruining mine and others view and enjoyment.

The club should block all wifi signals in the stands. Let them all congregate on the concourse below where they can vent their hysteria with other like-minded losers hell-bent on sharing their entitlement to cry, scream and rage.

Let them be offended at that!!!

Glad its not just me. I read into every word EXV and cannot disagree with anything you have said.
    The last time I was down VP I witnessed two girls constantly filming themselves on their mobiles and just ignoring the game. You could say hey Trianon but you spent a lot of time watching them well yes but they were pretty and above age before anyone gets any idea!
    I dont know just what is that supposed to say?
    Look at me everyone, look at me at the football match having a great time..wish you were here-not. I just dont get it...

Top post Exiled, very well put - it all started with reality TV and then social media. That Zuckerberg fella's got a lot to answer for!

End of day in my humble little opinion I think the way fans old and Young we’re going crazy like we’ve just won the league is purely down to scoring winner so late when we’ve more often not done this!! Do agree there’s a must win every game mentality about and that’s just not realistic (especially at this level)

As for VAR it’s a joke imo, Wes hardly touched him and the goal should have stood.

Dazzy mate, crazy, delirious, celebrations for a last-minute winner, is par for the course, expected at the very least. My problem is the need to stop and film themselves whilst doing it. Taking selfies showing absolute horror at a throw-in going the wrong way, etc. Surely an ‘F... me ref’ at full throttle would suffice?

I’m was ‘chewing’ over VAR at Arsenal, but we weren’t on youtube crying about it. I don’t feel the need to splash my ugly mug all over the world, LIVE from The Emirates Stadium, or later at the airport or my sitting room the next day.

We left the game gutted, end of. The same as football fans worldwide every week. Some would be more p1ssed off for not having enough battery left to film it. Me and the young Villan? Pig sick mate, real, proper dejected. The last thing that we would have wanted would be to show our vulnerable faces to a bunch of f...ing stranger on f...ing Mars.

Nah mate, for me the beauty of the emotions at the footy is, sharing with those around you, those in the moment. Pure unadulterated emotions last a few seconds. You can't pause true emotion to get the auld phone out and continue the moment. And if they’re filming it as it happens? Well, they may as well not be there and let a fan have their seat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)