+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do we need.

With the current players I can’t see us scoring two goals in a game. Almiron has had 18 starts with no goals and no assists and fans are saying give him time. The time he has had equates to half a season!!!

Joelinton doesn’t get any service Yedlin can not cross a ball full stop I hate to say it but Manquillo is a better option at full back

Fans are saying defence is good we have still shipped 14 goals which averages at 1.55 per game.

I don’t know the answer so I’m much the same as Bruce and his scintillating coaching team

Joe Linton was regarded as more of a number 10 in Germany,we are playing him as an old fashioned centre forward but on his own with nobody getting within 10 yards of him at times,he battles well and at times I feel sorry for him,Almiron plays too deep in our defensive style of play.A fit Andy Carroll as the Spearhead with Joelinton and St Maximum just behind should work.Then the Wing backs need to be sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodmag View Post
    Joe Linton was regarded as more of a number 10 in Germany,we are playing him as an old fashioned centre forward but on his own with nobody getting within 10 yards of him at times,he battles well and at times I feel sorry for him,Almiron plays too deep in our defensive style of play.A fit Andy Carroll as the Spearhead with Joelinton and St Maximum just behind should work.Then the Wing backs need to be sorted.
    Pretty much agree. Although I would say that changing to a 4 at the back would actually suit us better now.

I don't want the excuse that the players are used to having 5 at the back..Bruce is the coach now, if we are supposed to give him a chance then he should be good enough to get our players to adapt. He also shouldn't let the players blame a performance on a previous manager.

If we played 4231 like MOST teams in the league, we would still be able to defend, but some of our attacking players would feel more comfortable and play better.

What we really need is good players in every position who want to play for the club because they feel the club is being well run and going places.

Players who won't have their heads turned wanting a move to more glamorous clubs because we have as much ambition to go places and give them the success and honours they want to achieve in their short careers.

Players who love the club and love being here merely because we are Newcastle United and aim for the best there is.

Some hopes those unless someone knows someone who can make Fatty disappear and they still can't find the body.

I personally think that Miggy is a good player and in the right system, with the right manager would be a great player for us.

I also think Joelinton could be decent.

However, I have no confidence in Bruce to manage them correctly to get the good performances out of them.

We have the players easily capable of seeing us well clear of relegation. It's all about gelling them into a system that balances it all out.
    Joelinton is far from garbage. He's actually a very good player but he does need to get to grips with the premier league, sooner rather than later and he'll do ok, I think.
    As for Almiron, he's high on graft and low on confidence. It's all about getting a happy medium.

There's a lot of change in this team in trying to find what works and what doesn't. It'll take a bit of time but we aren't cast adrift whilst finding the time, so no panic at all for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    We have the players easily capable of seeing us well clear of relegation. It's all about gelling them into a system that balances it all out.
    Joelinton is far from garbage. He's actually a very good player but he does need to get to grips with the premier league, sooner rather than later and he'll do ok, I think.
    As for Almiron, he's high on graft and low on confidence. It's all about getting a happy medium.

There's a lot of change in this team in trying to find what works and what doesn't. It'll take a bit of time but we aren't cast adrift whilst finding the time, so no panic at all for me.
    I think your well off the mark stating that Joelinton is a GREAT player, I don’t know how you have come to that conclusion. His current goal tally is 1 in 9 games. If you care to look at his stats before arriving here they weren’t sparkling either but Ashley must have seen a higher sell on value

Almeiron is an MLS player and to be honest that is his standard he runs around like a bee with one wing and his end product is zero.

Let’s see what the next nine games bring us in points then we can make a truer assessment

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherTerryMac View Post
    I think your well off the mark stating that Joelinton is a GREAT player, I don’t know how you have come to that conclusion.
    I never said he was a great player. I said he was a very good player. There's more to his game than scoring at this moment. It's obviously far from ideal but I'm buoyed by the fact he can unsettle the opposition.
    All we need is the right set up for him and him being afforded the time to get into gear for goals. Let's see.
    His current goal tally is 1 in 9 games. If you care to look at his stats before arriving here they weren’t sparkling either but Ashley must have seen a higher sell on value
    I'm not interested in stats. Stats are only good for the time to turn a simple game of football into scientific mumbo jumbo.
    It's about what you see and enjoy or not. It's about how you view the payers you see.
    Anyone knows who stands out and who doesn't. We don't need stats.
    We didn't need them years ago and it gave plenty to argue about.

Almeiron is an MLS player and to be honest that is his standard he runs around like a bee with one wing and his end product is zero.
    Almiron is a premier league player and a good grafter. He's short on confidence and doesn't really need it shattering.
    Again it's about gelling the team/squad.

Let’s see what the next nine games bring us in points then we can make a truer assessment
    Yep, let's see because the next 9 games will give a much better idea as to where we are.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    I never said he was a great player. I said he was a very good player. There's more to his game than scoring at this moment. It's obviously far from ideal but I'm buoyed by the fact he can unsettle the opposition.
    All we need is the right set up for him and him being afforded the time to get into gear for goals. Let's see.
    I'm not interested in stats. Stats are only good for the time to turn a simple game of football into scientific mumbo jumbo.
    It's about what you see and enjoy or not. It's about how you view the payers you see.
    Anyone knows who stands out and who doesn't. We don't need stats.
    We didn't need them years ago and it gave plenty to argue about.

Almiron is a premier league player and a good grafter. He's short on confidence and doesn't really need it shattering.
    Again it's about gelling the team/squad.

Yep, let's see because the next 9 games will give a much better idea as to where we are.
    My apologies on the great and very good but you can call stats Mumbai jumbo but I think Alan Shear and a host of Great centre forwards would but up a viable argument for you

It’s your point of view on Almiron but I beg to differ on that point if him being a premiership player then again I don’t think Perez was worth £30 million

To play to Joelinton strengths if he actually has any then he needs to be given the ballin goalscoring positions. He is not getting any service with crosses Yedlin can’t cross a ball and neither can Richie when fit. The only one is Atsu but he blows hot and cold most of the time. The saint looks decent but clubs have already twigged onto him and put two defenders on him when he gets the ball. Carroll is what he is a donkey but I would be tempted to put him and Joe up front at home and bench Almiron

I take your point about the difference between looking at the stats of a game and the experience of actually watching it but if you replace stats with metrics, the picture becomes different (and, for me, clearer.

Metrics are different from stats in that they give an indication of progress, or the quality of a plan.

So, for goals scored we are 19th in the table, shots 18th, shots on target, 19th, expected goals 20th and touches in the penalty area 20th. Never mind players running around a lot or having a go-that's the very least we should expect and, frankly, I'm not sure the players should be given plaudits for putting effort in.

Rafa didn't suddenly realise that attacking was the way to go...he drilled and drilled the team until, defensively, they got what their jobs were and then he was able to release the brakes further forward. Building from the back. After January only 5 teams scored more goals than us. Granted we lost our two main forwards but we also have a shiny new one and a tricky winger to boot. Defensively, that team Bruce inherited was ready to go; if he was anywhere near capable, he would have built on that foundation with some more attacking intent. There is absolutely no evidence that he's done that and, moreover, we've already lost more heavily than at any time under Rafa. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Bruce to get it right-what we're seeing is Bruce. He has the worst win percentage of any Premier League manager ever with over 300 games and there are good reasons for that.

Yes, there'll be days when we beat teams unexpectedly (although it's hard to deny that both the Spurs and Man U wins need to be seen in the greater context of their respective trials and tribulations this season) but, for me, those metrics give a greater indication of. not only where we are, but where we're heading.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)