+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Colchester

Colchester

So the I'd up next. When I said I expected the Alex to lose one of the two home games, this was the one I was thinking of really. I don't know why but I have a bad feeling about this one. However, it would be nice to get revenge for last season's away game!

How did U's become i'd😠

Any news on Powell anyone?

Can we manage NOT to let the opposition score first? Or do we assume that we can't win without that happening?

Am I talking to myself again.???🤔

Am I correct that we did not have a shot on target last night or force their keeper to make a save . This is the worrying bit of our play at the moment . We have a lot of possession , great passing but very little action inside of the box. Last night we got the ball wide and crossed in low but no players attacking the ball at the near post so it was easy for them to clear,any one got any comments on this .

I agree. Very flat. The good thing about the Alex this season has been the movement between the lines. That was missing last night.
    We also didn't mix it up enough. Too often the play was predictable and funnelled towards Dale. In the first half he put in some decent crosses bit we either only had 2 people in the box or they were bunched and not strategically spread. We still don't attack the far post. I haven't kept count of 'overhit' crosses but the number must be really high. Pace was also missing. We seem to take a really long time to work the ball forward with body shape set for a pass backward before the ball was received. Finally, there was the problem of not shooting enough. A number of times there was sight of goal but the trigger wasn't pulled.
    This is not to say we were awful, just that they were a bit flat. Perhaps it's a good sign that we can feel disappointed by a less than very good performance.

I find it hard to disagree with most of the comments posted.. There were some good individual performances, but in truth it was a very poor team display. To get the best from the number of excellnt talents we have I believe that a more disciplined attitude must be adopted.

In the first half Dale put in an excellent effort, but lacked the support he should have had. The result was that he had to go for broke virtually every time, and his efforts ran our of steam. Ng is an excellent wingback. but a quite ordinary fuulback. He cannot be a wingback if he does not have a right sided midfielder to interchange with. For me he is half the player he was last season#

The left side of our team whixh has for most games been our stromgest unit offering the best of our attacking options. Last night it was fragmented and was not operating as the strong unit we have grown to accept as the norm.

As a team it was not an impressive display.

They say you make your own luck and Lady Luck seems to have taken temporary accommodation with us. In the past few seasons Colchester would have put the 3pts in their swag bag and gone home happy. Isn't it the sign of a good side that even when you're not firing on all cylinders you still get something from the game? As always, if you can't win it, don't lose it!