+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: And The New Southend Manager Is

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    333

    And The New Southend Manager Is

    Sol Campbell, you can't deny he likes a challenge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    Sol Campbell, you can't deny he likes a challenge
    Well actually you can, because as soon as he found out he wasnt going to get 40k a week for league 2 he fled quicker then you could say "what a fantastic project".

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    24,892
    Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Well actually you can, because as soon as he found out he wasnt going to get 40k a week for league 2 he fled quicker then you could say "what a fantastic project".
    There's a big difference between a challenge and an outright con. I've never understood the dislike for Sol Campbell on here, all he did was spot the deception quicker than most. It will be interesting to see if he can repeat his Macclesfield heroics at Southend.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,179
    I think that's what you call a baptism of fire, 2 red cards and 7 goals shipped.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    There's a big difference between a challenge and an outright con. I've never understood the dislike for Sol Campbell on here, all he did was spot the deception quicker than most. It will be interesting to see if he can repeat his Macclesfield heroics at Southend.
    Didnít someone post he was paying/contributing to players wages himself at Macclesfield? Would explain their fighting spirit end of last season.

    Good luck to him.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,399
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Didnít someone post he was paying/contributing to players wages himself at Macclesfield? Would explain their fighting spirit end of last season.

    Good luck to him.
    Yeah I work with a Macclesfield fan who told me he payed the players himself or part of their wages but still a gesture he didnít have to do.

    Iím with Elite on this Campbell if he wanted could have finished this club he had two contracts here is my understanding one as a player and the other as an ambassador to get round rules which we know was all a con.

    I think he is a lot smarter than people give him credit for and I donít have any negative feelings towards him.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    There's a big difference between a challenge and an outright con. I've never understood the dislike for Sol Campbell on here, all he did was spot the deception quicker than most. It will be interesting to see if he can repeat his Macclesfield heroics at Southend.
    I didnt say I disliked him - at least not because of his time at Notts. He is very arrogant although credit where credit is due for the job at Macc. It was a con and everyone was conned. Some of the big hitters such as Sven and Kasper hung around. He fled.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    There's a big difference between a challenge and an outright con. I've never understood the dislike for Sol Campbell on here, all he did was spot the deception quicker than most. It will be interesting to see if he can repeat his Macclesfield heroics at Southend.
    My dislike for Sol was and still is this .
    He says he knew it was all a Con all along .. so why didn't he reveal that it was all a con , with the filthy details , instead of taking his hush money and running of into the distance leaving the 5hit to hit the fan.
    If he had anything about him he should have revealed everything about the con that he knew and stopped Notts getting deeper into the Mire !!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,319
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    My dislike for Sol was and still is this .
    He says he knew it was all a Con all along .. so why didn't he reveal that it was all a con , with the filthy details , instead of taking his hush money and running of into the distance leaving the 5hit to hit the fan.
    If he had anything about him he should have revealed everything about the con that he knew and stopped Notts getting deeper into the Mire !!
    And if he had many Notts fans would still have called him a liar, remember the reporter who wrote about it being a con from the start?
    He was ridiculed and e-mail mails were sent by fans complaining about him.
    I have no qualms with Campbell he seems quite sensible.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    And if he had many Notts fans would still have called him a liar, remember the reporter who wrote about it being a con from the start?
    He was ridiculed and e-mail mails were sent by fans complaining about him.
    I have no qualms with Campbell he seems quite sensible.
    yes maybe we could all have called him a liar.
    But maybe we might of listened if he had put a case forward for it being a con , instead of taking his rather large slice of the money and doing a runner.
    Remember he took the money promising not to tell what he knew. in my eyes Great morals !

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,319
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    yes maybe we could all have called him a liar.
    But maybe we might of listened if he had put a case forward for it being a con , instead of taking his rather large slice of the money and doing a runner.
    Remember he took the money promising not to tell what he knew. in my eyes Great morals !
    What money did he take?
    I thought he left because there was no money?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9,134
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    yes maybe we could all have called him a liar.
    But maybe we might of listened if he had put a case forward for it being a con , instead of taking his rather large slice of the money and doing a runner.
    Remember he took the money promising not to tell what he knew. in my eyes Great morals !
    That's a new one to me.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,858
    Surely if he'd stayed we would have been in more financial trouble

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,225
    He signed a non disclosure agreement as part of him being allowed to leave the club and considering he thought he still had some left in the tank playing wise he was well within his rights to do that and continue his career, he did play for Arsenal that season after January to be fair to him.

    According to Kasper he either wasn't paid at all or for at least the second half of the season but he said he didn't care, he just wanted to play games but the difference with him was he was a young player trying to get noticed and build his way up, Sol didn't need to do that at the stage he was at in his career so if the project was all a sham what point was there in him sticking around in League 2 for a season at the end of his career? With all the accolades he earned in his career a League 2 winners medal would have made a half decent dog toy at best.

    He may be a bit of an arrogant tw*t but he certainly backed it up as a player, he was one of the best centre backs in world football in his prime and there aren't many English players that can say that.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    There's a big difference between a challenge and an outright con. I've never understood the dislike for Sol Campbell on here, all he did was spot the deception quicker than most. It will be interesting to see if he can repeat his Macclesfield heroics at Southend.
    As regards to The Munto Con you are quite right BUT he is a money-grabbing *******, as most Pompey fans would agree.

    His intellectual property rights dispute, and other financial claims / issues with them, contributed massively to their fall from grace, into administration and eventually the fourth tier of English football.

    P.S. i'm not suggesting that he is alone in this: a large proportion of Premier League players have the same mentality - money, money, money and fcuk the consequences...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,319
    I have heard a lot about Pompeys fall from grace but that is the first time I have heard it was Campbell's fault, who would believe it?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,006
    On one of the podcasts Peter Crouch did he told a story about how at Portsmouth they had two physiotherapists in the changing room and Sol had them both massaging one leg each for a whole hour before a match. When the other players complained he just looked up and asked them how many England caps they had then went back to enjoying his massage!

    So I think it's safe to say he's a 'confident' chap, but anyway he did very well at Morecambe and it'll be interesting to see how he gets on now. Like others have said he seems to relish a challenge!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,678
    There was mounting evidence that something was amiss with Munto by the time Campbell left as I recall.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    What money did he take?
    I thought he left because there was no money?
    like Delroy said he signed a non disclosure contract
    He would have only signed that if he got his slice of cash.
    Other wise he could have walked and told all he knew about the con without any forms of retribution.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    That's a new one to me.
    what's new to you ? that we signed Sol ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •