+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: And The New Southend Manager Is

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    yes maybe we could all have called him a liar.
    But maybe we might of listened if he had put a case forward for it being a con , instead of taking his rather large slice of the money and doing a runner.
    Remember he took the money promising not to tell what he knew. in my eyes Great morals !
    What money did he take?
    I thought he left because there was no money?

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    yes maybe we could all have called him a liar.
    But maybe we might of listened if he had put a case forward for it being a con , instead of taking his rather large slice of the money and doing a runner.
    Remember he took the money promising not to tell what he knew. in my eyes Great morals !
    That's a new one to me.

Surely if he'd stayed we would have been in more financial trouble

He signed a non disclosure agreement as part of him being allowed to leave the club and considering he thought he still had some left in the tank playing wise he was well within his rights to do that and continue his career, he did play for Arsenal that season after January to be fair to him.

According to Kasper he either wasn't paid at all or for at least the second half of the season but he said he didn't care, he just wanted to play games but the difference with him was he was a young player trying to get noticed and build his way up, Sol didn't need to do that at the stage he was at in his career so if the project was all a sham what point was there in him sticking around in League 2 for a season at the end of his career? With all the accolades he earned in his career a League 2 winners medal would have made a half decent dog toy at best.

He may be a bit of an arrogant tw*t but he certainly backed it up as a player, he was one of the best centre backs in world football in his prime and there aren't many English players that can say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    There's a big difference between a challenge and an outright con. I've never understood the dislike for Sol Campbell on here, all he did was spot the deception quicker than most. It will be interesting to see if he can repeat his Macclesfield heroics at Southend.
    As regards to The Munto Con you are quite right BUT he is a money-grabbing *******, as most Pompey fans would agree.

His intellectual property rights dispute, and other financial claims / issues with them, contributed massively to their fall from grace, into administration and eventually the fourth tier of English football.

P.S. i'm not suggesting that he is alone in this: a large proportion of Premier League players have the same mentality - money, money, money and fcuk the consequences...

I have heard a lot about Pompeys fall from grace but that is the first time I have heard it was Campbell's fault, who would believe it?

On one of the podcasts Peter Crouch did he told a story about how at Portsmouth they had two physiotherapists in the changing room and Sol had them both massaging one leg each for a whole hour before a match. When the other players complained he just looked up and asked them how many England caps they had then went back to enjoying his massage!

So I think it's safe to say he's a 'confident' chap, but anyway he did very well at Morecambe and it'll be interesting to see how he gets on now. Like others have said he seems to relish a challenge!

There was mounting evidence that something was amiss with Munto by the time Campbell left as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    What money did he take?
    I thought he left because there was no money?
    like Delroy said he signed a non disclosure contract
    He would have only signed that if he got his slice of cash.
    Other wise he could have walked and told all he knew about the con without any forms of retribution.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    That's a new one to me.
    what's new to you ? that we signed Sol ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast