+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hull v Rams

Hull v Rams

Another strange selection. Dowell back in...Waghorn dropped to join Marriott on the bench.
    Puzzling...was optimistic of a 1-2 win. More doubtful now but who knows?

Martin in is a good decision. With our current players, we need someone like that to create things higher up.

Least we're not Southampton!

Yep, 7 better than Southampton.

Didn’t sound like it was Dowell’s fault anyway. Far from it, but I just don’t understand those substitutions.

A rather sterile game with 2 sides utilising the same system and generally canclling each other out. Maybe a strange thing to say about a game that gave us 24 shots in total (14-10 in their favour), 7 of which were on target (4-3). IMO the majority of chances came through errors that provided them.

Focussing on Derby, just how many times did we create problems for ourselves by passes that were a) hit way too hard b) impossible for the intended recipient to control c) way off target d) straight to their keeper e) a combination of 2 or more of the above.

Another problem of our own making is marking. We don't. We don't mark opposition players in and around or area. We should. We don't track back to nullify any danger from players running through into space. We should.

Techincally, we still have too many players unwilling to use their "other foot" which means teammates in good positions won't be found with the pass as it won't be made. Too many wide players who always cut inside, some due to that "wrong foot" syndrome or due to simply preferring one foot over the other. Just look at the huge problems Leicester's Chilwell gave Soton on Friday by going down the outside and putting crosses in much like Bogle did last season for us. Why not have the 2 wide midfielders swapping sides from time to time in a game to give them the "outside" option.

Another problem is movement off the ball. Not enough of it which is the main reason we see the same players playing keep ball for a whole series of passes as there is no attacking outlet.

Four "of our own" in the XVIII yesterday. I think we will see more of that, giving them game time to get them up to speed. That means that this season will be one of transition and, quite likely, one of midtable obscurity.

Finally, that disallowed goal. There has been speculation on why it was disallowed. The ref pointed to his upper arm, suggesting hand ball The new rule this year is, on purpose or accidentally, contact between arm and ball that leads to a goal will see that goal disallowed. I also think that Lawrence had to go through their defender in order to get to the ball. That is also a foul.

Roos. One dropped ball he should have had. Probably should have got back to the far post for their header.

Bogle. Go down the outside like you did last season lad.

Davies. OK defensively but in possession far too many passes that are hit far too hard or straight to an opponent.

Clarke. Idem ditto.

Lowe. Get more crosses in Max.

Shinnie. One of our better players on the day.

Bielik. Class at times. Error prone at others.

Holmes. Bright start but trailed off.

Dowell. Why? Sorry but he again did nothing of note. Is it a confidence thing? Can he simply not do it? Answers on a postcard......

Lawrence. Not giving multiple fouls away as he appears to have stopped tackling. Looks dangerous going forward but the end product of a cross or a shot isn't there anything like often enough.

Martin. Did what he does. Just a shame his touches weren't given better treatment by his team mates.

If I had to give an ed of term report on this game it would read "can and must do better".

Mmm 'can' do better, you have more confidence than me MA!!
    I just don't think they are up to it playing the 'Cocu Way'!! With his system we need major surgery, it becomes pass for the sake of passing. With our current financial state that will take a better scouting network that recent signings would suggest we have!! Low mid table for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Mmm 'can' do better, you have more confidence than me MA!!
    I just don't think they are up to it playing the 'Cocu Way'!! With his system we need major surgery, it becomes pass for the sake of passing. With our current financial state that will take a better scouting network that recent signings would suggest we have!! Low mid table for me!!
    More movement off the ball isn't too much to ask in order to give, especially the back 4, the man in possession an outlet.

FBs not moving 20 or more yards inside thereby giving the oppo's wide men all the time and space they need to put crosses in. Doesn't take muc to improve that part of the game either.

Not leaving oppo players in acres of space in and around our box isn't rocket science.

Tracking back when "your man" (who nobody seems to have these days) isn't a huge ask.

Putting passes over 5, 10 15 yards at the right pace and where the man wants it is something all of the team have done in the past.

So, yes, IMO, these players CAN do better and have done so in the past.

Fingers crossed you're right, MA, but I shall try not to get to overcome with anticipation!!

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    A rather sterile game with 2 sides utilising the same system and generally canclling each other out. Maybe a strange thing to say about a game that gave us 24 shots in total (14-10 in their favour), 7 of which were on target (4-3). IMO the majority of chances came through errors that provided them.

Focussing on Derby, just how many times did we create problems for ourselves by passes that were a) hit way too hard b) impossible for the intended recipient to control c) way off target d) straight to their keeper e) a combination of 2 or more of the above.

Another problem of our own making is marking. We don't. We don't mark opposition players in and around or area. We should. We don't track back to nullify any danger from players running through into space. We should.

Techincally, we still have too many players unwilling to use their "other foot" which means teammates in good positions won't be found with the pass as it won't be made. Too many wide players who always cut inside, some due to that "wrong foot" syndrome or due to simply preferring one foot over the other. Just look at the huge problems Leicester's Chilwell gave Soton on Friday by going down the outside and putting crosses in much like Bogle did last season for us. Why not have the 2 wide midfielders swapping sides from time to time in a game to give them the "outside" option.

Another problem is movement off the ball. Not enough of it which is the main reason we see the same players playing keep ball for a whole series of passes as there is no attacking outlet.

Four "of our own" in the XVIII yesterday. I think we will see more of that, giving them game time to get them up to speed. That means that this season will be one of transition and, quite likely, one of midtable obscurity.

Finally, that disallowed goal. There has been speculation on why it was disallowed. The ref pointed to his upper arm, suggesting hand ball The new rule this year is, on purpose or accidentally, contact between arm and ball that leads to a goal will see that goal disallowed. I also think that Lawrence had to go through their defender in order to get to the ball. That is also a foul.

Roos. One dropped ball he should have had. Probably should have got back to the far post for their header.

Bogle. Go down the outside like you did last season lad.

Davies. OK defensively but in possession far too many passes that are hit far too hard or straight to an opponent.

Clarke. Idem ditto.

Lowe. Get more crosses in Max.

Shinnie. One of our better players on the day.

Bielik. Class at times. Error prone at others.

Holmes. Bright start but trailed off.

Dowell. Why? Sorry but he again did nothing of note. Is it a confidence thing? Can he simply not do it? Answers on a postcard......

Lawrence. Not giving multiple fouls away as he appears to have stopped tackling. Looks dangerous going forward but the end product of a cross or a shot isn't there anything like often enough.

Martin. Did what he does. Just a shame his touches weren't given better treatment by his team mates.

If I had to give an ed of term report on this game it would read "can and must do better".
    MA fair report the inverted wingers does my head in how often does anything come from it . Was ok with Ince who could cross with either foot when he needed to But Lawrence can't cross with his left at all When we first signed him for three matches we played him on the right ,and he put great crosses in He then scored a worldy coming in from the left and he's been there ever since ,largely doing nothing Bogle needs taking out until he's properly fit ,at the moment he's a liability No good standing 10yds off somebody as good as Grosiki then waving a leg at the cross . Afraid Cocu was completely outhought by Mcann , he knew if he let our defenders have the ball we would eventually **** up like we have in every away match , .Then just hit us on the break worked a treat
    Last edited by mistaram; 27-10-2019 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    MA fair report the inverted wingers does my head in how often does anything come from it .
    The inverted wingers lark is a valid tactic but works best when you have world class players doing that job. Arjen Robben made a pretty decent living out of it but there aren't that many who can. As I have said in the past, play our wide men on the "proper" wing and swap now and again through a match to stop the oppo defence getting comfortable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)