+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Referees (and linesmen/women)

No excuse for some of the stuff like we saw yesterday - inconsistent approach to bookings and failure to send off when due - but I do think the referees have a harder job than previous generations. The game is much faster and the amount of deliberate cheating and play-acting has increased. I think where modern referees aren't helping themselves is their propensity to give a foul 95% of the time whenever a player goes to ground - irrespective of the reason. The only exception is in the penalty area. In my view, this just encourages players to cheat more which perpetuates the cycle.

Interesting regarding VAR though.

With today’s technology it should be easy to review refereeing decisions after the match and to change the decision accordingly.

Two examples from yesterday:-

Smith’s booking, var type recordings should clarify if Smith made contact ( I think he didn’t). If no contact and the ref was conned then as a minimum the yellow card should be cancelled, plus maybe the diving playacting player given a card retrospectively

“The penalty” - ref saw that one and considered it a yellow. Post match review might show it should have been a red. If so the Wycombe player gets a post match red card and gets the appropriate punishment. The ref also should be informed and it explained to him what the correct decision should have been so he gets “continuous improvement”. Wouldn’t have helped us at the time but at least it would bring home the message to players that foul play could catch you up after the match.
    Last edited by Grist_To_The_Mill; 27-10-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post

With today’s technology it should be easy to review refereeing decisions after the match and to change the decision accordingly.

Smith’s booking, var type recordings should clarify if Smith made contact ( I think he didn’t). If no contact and the ref was conned then as a minimum the yellow card should be cancelled, plus maybe the diving playacting player given a card retrospectively

“The penalty” - ref saw that one and considered it a yellow. Post match review might show it should have been a red. If so the Wycombe player gets a post match red card and gets the appropriate punishment. The ref also should be informed and it explained to him what the correct decision should have been so he gets “continuous improvement”. Wouldn’t have helped us at the time but at least it would bring home the message to players that foul play could catch you up after the match.
    Good shout

Another example from yesterday was when Ogbene was tripped right in front of the linesman. The linesman didn't flag but the ref, 25 yards away, blew for the foul.

Paul Warne made an interesting comment earlier in the season regards players slowing the game and time wasting. He touched on when a goalkeeper fannies around taking a goal kick, certain refs love that as its less time they have to spend refereeing. In other words they enjoy the short rest. Probably true, as I've not seen a ref clamping down on it for a long time.

At last we have found an answer to the most ineffective substitute of all time. Yes the man who offers absolutely nothing is......Carlton
    Morris.

I was wrong about this kid. He is absolutely crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post

I,d also go for a fifth official sat high up in the main stand with a good view so he advise the ref what,s going on such as wycombe constantly pushing our players in the back. This could be done either live via an earpiece or at HT. The ref can then specifically look out for these offences that are being shielded from him

It could also be taken a stage further by asking the ref to review one or two incidents at HT thereby issuing cards at the start of the second half. This then has a direct bearing on the actual match but very controversial if it,s a red
    Last edited by flourbasher; 27-10-2019 at 02:26 PM.

I was always led to believe that var would be introduced just for incidents that have a 'it's definite one way or the other'. For instance var is deciding whether or not it's a foul in the penalty area, like the decision to award Brighton a penalty against Everton yesterday, which for me anyway wasn't (opinion), whereas I thought var would only be used to tell us if the referee gave a penalty was the foul committed inside or outside of the area? (Fact)
    Sometimes off the ball things can be missed I understand that, and last year England got a couple of penalties at the world cup through var, for players getting hauled down at set plays, and whilst I can see the reasoning, for me that wasn't my understanding of what var did.
    Is it a good or bad thing? Maybe they get more things right than wrong so would have to be considered good, but again for me anyway this wasn't what var was actually brought in for.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    At last we have found an answer to the most ineffective substitute of all time. Yes the man who offers absolutely nothing is......Carlton
    Morris.

I was wrong about this kid. He is absolutely crap.
    Wrong thread? Fair point though.

Don't forget each game has a assessor to watch the standard of referee's, and do a report of how the ref run the game, do we have lousy assessor's or aren't the EFL checking the assessor's report and acting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    Don't forget each game has a assessor to watch the standard of referee's, and do a report of how the ref run the game, do we have lousy assessor's or aren't the EFL checking the assessor's report and acting on it.
    Copies of the reports would make interesting reading

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast