+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Referees (and linesmen/women)

I do try not to be too critical of the officials but when you get them like Saturday then....

Useless and some still don’t know the rules

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    I do try not to be too critical of the officials but when you get them like Saturday then....

Useless and some still don’t know the rules
    It’s a professional game but the refereeing is amateur

My take on how shyte the officials have been.

Against Oxford they had a forrud booked on count back but the forrud hadn't been penalised for any of the fouls the referee had pointed to.
    We all saw that the fouls had been committed but no advantage had been gained from the referee letting play go on.

If the player hadn't been punished for the fouls how can he be booked on a count back?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    It’s a professional game but the refereeing is amateur
    Are they still amateur? How much money is in football for them still to be amateur?

Tw@ts

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Are they still amateur? How much money is in football for them still to be amateur?

Tw@ts
    Strictly they are paid, so professional but I meant amateur in their knowledge and skill levels.

Strictly they are paid, so professional but I meant amateur in their knowledge and skill levels.
    To be honest I doubt they are paid that well. If someone offered me 100 quid to referee a L1 football game on a Saturday afternoon or the chance to spend the time at Meadowhall with Mrs CA, insane as it seems I'd probably pick the latter.

I know what you mean Grist. They seem to have all been given the same instructions for this season and that is that VAR will put things right.

Seriously there can't be any other explanation to It. They are not making decisions at all. Everyone loves it when the game flows but refs this season have been shyte.

Referees are normally paid a retainer, then a match day fee, plus expenses. Be it the premier referees will be on a higher retainer & match day fee, than referees in the championship, league 1 & 2. So all referees should aspire to be good in their profession, then they could get better money. Sadly the referee's we see are well under the radar to go higher in their profession.

I get all the frustration but if anyone on here thinks it is easy to officiate 22 players in a game, hold your nerve and ignore all around from the touchline, then go and sign up and have a go.

Now to last Saturday's officiating - As an ex Ref, I understand the pressures any official can be under during a game so don't always run with a bias approached to them as a home fan. I was however actually appalled how the Ref handled the match from the kick off to the end. Cards dished out like confetti and boy did he make rash decisions. Cringeworthy to say the least and the assistant official to my left wasn't even up with the game. The standard is definitely both questionable and a poor one this season and we're barely in it.

Assessors reports always remain private and confidential and only go back to the League hierarchy, so feedback may be given to an official. I would though like to have read what was reported on last Saturday's game, that's if there was even an assessor in attendance.
    I'm sure they don't have the numbers to assess every game!
    Last edited by Brin; 28-10-2019 at 07:50 PM.

**** from Cambridgeshire could be said but we all make mistakes 😏

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast