+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Getting The Third Degree- Laurie Cunningham Drama/Story

Getting The Third Degree- Laurie Cunningham Drama/Story

I have just attended a theatrical production about the above footballer. This 75 minute play charts the life of Laurie Cunningham from his humble beginning at Leyton Orient through to the end of his career in Spain. It was produced to help publicise the Kick Racism Out Of Football campaign.it tells of how he got noticed at Brisbane Road, enough for WBA to fork out a transfer fee to bring him to the Hawthorns. It was there that he made his mark along with free scoring Cyrillic Regis and Brendan Batson harnessed together by larger than life, manager big Ron Atkinson, who nicknamed them the Three Degrees.Cunningham became only the second black player to play for England , and later on also became the first black footballer to play for Real Madrid. Set against a backdrop of racism , violence on the terraces and a prominent National Front ,who regularly made their feelings known, this a remarkable , compelling drama to watch. Anyone on here who saw football mainly in the seventies have any thoughts on this talented footballer ? I’d be interested to know. If you get the chance to attend this production don’t hesitate.

Yes was an excellent player who I can remember in that WBA team that was a pioneer team for Black Footballers with Cyrile Regis up front and Brendon Batson at Right Back along with Bomber Brown up front , Bryan Robson & Len Cantello in midfield they were an exciting team to watch .
    Remember that game at Old Trafford when they destroyed Man.Utd 5-3.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTAMsgAdsII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWZvFTpyRdE

Got me thinking malwayne, how on earth we are still discussing football and racism in 2019 in the same breath?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Got me thinking malwayne, how on earth we are still discussing football and racism in 2019 in the same breath?
    Because production companies and Professional Footballers keep bringing it up, and with the powers that be doing next to nothing to try and stop it.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)