+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ft 2-1

Ft 2-1

A big improvement from last week - it hardly couldn't be - but well beaten by a better team even if the score suggests it was close. Stupid way to lose goals mind.

Onwards with a more important home double header.

I'm sorry, but I take nothing from that.

That was a typical Motherwell - Rangers match in which we have cut our own throats with a bad error(Gillespie's blunder) right on half time then tried to sit in in the second half and failed miserably to stop them scoring.

We actually played very well for 44 minutes and were well worth our lead until our obligatory Rangers game blunder where we chuck them one when they needed it.

The second half was a classic Motherwell bottle job of a performance and we got what we deserved in the end.

I only tuned in midway through the first half and flicked in and out during the second but from what I saw Rangers dominated in the way everyone would expect them to against us at Ibrox. We were largely organised and disciplined, and against a vastly superior side you can't really demand more.

You will inevitably lose goals from set pieces occasionally so while that is annoying it wasn't nearly as bad as Gilliespie...you just can't get results in Glasgow with glaring goal-costing errors, especially one which changes the whole feel of the game like that. I've no idea what he was thinking.

Gillespie without doubt to blame for first goal. Second goal we again don’t put anyone on the posts at a corner, don’t know how many goals we will have to lose like this before we learn. Today’s game won’t define our season but next two will have a huge bearing of where we end up at the end of the season.

We need to stop making it easy for teams to score against us, especially against the stronger sides. Make mistakes you will get punished. Gillespie today, the first two against Aberdeen at fir park was down to us as well. I thought we could have been a bit more attack minded in the second half, sit back like that for 45 at Ibrox you invariably lose a goal at some point. Onto Killie on Wednesday where we need to get winning again. Any more mistakes though and it could be a third defeat on the bounce.

Not long back from the game and have to stick up for Gillespie. The pace of the shot he had to deal with left him little choice about his options. I had a feeling that Defoe might have been offside?

No idea about offside from the stream I was watching.

It wasn't so much not catching it, I appreciate modern goalies punch/palm away a lot more given how shots move, but the according modern skill is being able to direct the rebound to the side. He could even have volleyball styled it up in the air and then gone to catch it, dumping it straight in front of him to an opponent he should have had in his eyeline was simply a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by wellin View Post
    We need to stop making it easy for teams to score against us, especially against the stronger sides. Make mistakes you will get punished.
    Teams must love playing against us. Be patient and we'll offer them goals on a plate. 3 totally avoidable goals against Aberdeen and a further two today. We got what we deserved at Ibrox - nought. Our defending was very poor and looked disorganised.

No pleasing some of our followers it seems? Do a comparison on that game versus the Aberdeen horror show and we should be pretty pleased IMO.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)