+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turfites "VAR/Foul" Scrutiny Thread.

Everton v Spurs today - Deli Alli handballs in the goal mouth, VAR decides it's not a penalty. Ye Gods!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Everton v Spurs today - Deli Alli handballs in the goal mouth, VAR decides it's not a penalty. Ye Gods!
    If he had been attacking and a goal scored ---it would have been disallowed!
    We are playing to different Laws these days and confusion reigns.

The uncontested dropped ball when the referee stops play for a supposed head injury means that the team who had the ball are then given the ball back, however, so many fans are then expecting them to give the ball back to the opposition because it was their player who was injured! Happened three times in the Everton match today and the crowd were booing because the uncontested drop ball was used.

They have messed about with the Laws and their interpretation so much that many fans have no idea what should or shouldn't happen. VAR only clouds the issues even more.

1min 45s

a tough call.....did Mina impede Ali - did it hit Mina's shoulder/arm before seeming to roll over Ali's arm, was it intentional ?

too many variables imo....so have to say - no, "Not a Pen".

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post
    a tough call.....did Mina impede Ali - did it hit Mina's shoulder/arm before seeming to roll over Ali's arm, was it intentional ?

too many variables imo....so have to say - no, "Not a Pen".

You forgot that they have also introduced "Was his arm in a natural position" ---I suppose it was if he was asking the teacher if he could leave the room!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    You forgot that they have also introduced "Was his arm in a natural position" ---I suppose it was if he was asking the teacher if he could leave the room!

easily solved Sub - give them Pogo sticks why not.....

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

easily solved Sub - give them Pogo sticks why not.....

They have to constitute a danger to an opponent --don't they? No can do!

They should wrap every player, except the goalkeepers, in bandages to mummify their upper body and their hands and arms would be secure. It would be fun just to see them trying to get back on their feet without using their hands/arms.

I was quite relieved they got that one right for a change, it brushed his hand, he wasn't even aware of where the ball was, there was no intent whatsoever, he was being fouled himself, which seemed to be overlooked, and it made no difference to the trajectory of the ball. If they had given Everton a pen for that I'd have gone for the off button immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I was quite relieved they got that one right for a change, it brushed his hand, he wasn't even aware of where the ball was, there was no intent whatsoever, he was being fouled himself, which seemed to be overlooked, and it made no difference to the trajectory of the ball. If they had given Everton a pen for that I'd have gone for the off button immediately.
    You say not a penalty, I say a stonewaller, VAR is supposed to clear these up and it took 3 minutes. Clear and obvious my arse.

You say not a penalty, I say a stonewaller, VAR is supposed to clear these up and it took 3 minutes. Clear and obvious my arse.
    I suspect the problem in this case BT was more to do with the idiotic interpretation of the handball law currently in vogue, rather than VAR itself. No doubt the ball brushed his hand and so you can claim a stonewall pen, but I reckon some VAR official watched that replay and took the same common sense view that I did, that you simply could not, in effect, give a goal to Everton simply because of that trivial, insignificant contact between ball and hand. I would imagine the delay was not caused by argument over what actually happened, that was clear enough, but over what to do about it. The idiotic law says pen, common sense says never in this world, and in the end common sense won for once. Give that VAR man a medal.
    Last edited by sinkov; 04-11-2019 at 09:28 AM.

What is clear and obvious is that VAR as it is currently being operated is an absolute shambles. The lack of clarity in the Everton v Spurs was plain to see but we are saddled with this Heath Robinson farago for the moment. The Premier League should take full responsibility for this latest attempt to take a wrecking ball to the beautiful game and announce their plans either to scrap it or reform it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)