+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Everest Base Camp

Everest Base Camp

The time is almost upon us for our trek to Everest Base Camp.

We fly to Kathmandu on 8th November and, if we survive the dodgy looking flight to Lukla, we will have a 14 day walk to base camp and back.

We will reach a height of over 18,000 feet where there is only half the oxygen than at sea level.

Accommodation will be in tea houses, basically mountain huts which also provide basic food.

We are expecting temperatures to be as low as minus 15 degrees celsius at the higher levels.

If it is a nice day we may pack some butties and make a bid for the top

That's an astonishing trip,be very wary of altitude sickness it isn't pleasant.How many going? I presume this is an organised Group.Please keep us up to date with everything.I expect you have been training up Pendle but that probably doesn't compare even in January!!!!!

Good luck

Have a good trip and come back safe 59, and don't worry about your carbon footprint with all those flights, I won't tell Mr Davey, just as long as you don't go littering Everest with all your LibDem election leaflets.

Enjoy your trip councillor, but don't come back with the "We are ruining the planet Lib Dem Climate Change Deniers malarkey". Stay safe.

Enjoy and take care of yourselves

Good Luck - 59'60 - should be nice relaxed jaunt on a well beaten track - plenty of little chai caf's with Veggie stew and chapatis to fill up on - interesting local craft along the way , grab me a yaks wool jumper would you - and do us all a Big favour - take that Joe Swindle along.....PLEASE !

Be safe - and good weather to you.

Fantastic stuff 59/60.. Have a great time and take plenty of pictures for us all to see ..I'm sure there will be Wifi at base camp.

Thank you for your kind words!

If I get chance to post while I am on the trek I will do, but I'll be lucky to find a good connection. Also I am useless at posting stuff on a phone.

I'll give a debrief when I get back any road.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Thank you for your kind words!

If I get chance to post while I am on the trek I will do, but I'll be lucky to find a good connection. Also I am useless at posting stuff on a phone.

I'll give a debrief when I get back any road.
    If you get back..

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    ...if we survive the dodgy looking flight to Lukla...
    Dodgy? I hear that Lukla's got a tarmac/concrete runway nowadays; Luxury! No more driving the sheep and yaks of the bumpy grass runway ahead of flights, though I don't suppose they've been able to do anything about it's 1:12 slope?
    I've never landed there, but take-offs were interesting, though coming home you can at least be sure of the take-off, with a 1500' vertical drop at the runway's end, the planes always get airborne... for a few seconds at least; though Nepal Airways don't fly on cloudy days because as our pilot explained: "Nepalese clouds have rocks in them."

Have fun, enjoy and I hope the weather's cold for you, as that'll give you the clearest views; it's thirty-odd years since we tramped up there, but remains one of our most memorable trips. Good Luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)