+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 162 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T - general election 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    What evidence do you have that the minimum wage had any significant negative effect on the economy? I've looked into this and, despite all the "Kerrists" of the day predicting job losses and price hikes, all I've found is that it made minimal if any difference. Happy to look at any evidence to the contrary?
    I have no proof, Raging. That's why I ended my post with 'Coincidence? Maybe'. What is your explantion for the rise in ZHCs and the gig economy (at a time when the EU was guaranteeing worker’s rights)? As you pointed out a few weeks ago (on the 'Democracy' thread?), many companies are operating on tight margins. Don't you think it inevitable that some will have responded and will respond to the increased costs pressures created by the Minimum Wage? That's not a reason for arguing against it, but it's a good idea to be mindful of reality.
    Last edited by KerrAvon; 31-10-2019 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Which really proves the only way to get wage rises is through increased productivity (steady on Animal and Exile this has nothing to do with lazy workers).

Productivity in the UK flat lined since the credit crunch of 2007. Its why wages have stagnated. Dont think you can legistate to real wage increases.
    I rather suspect that UK productivity has been depressed by the relatively free availability of Labour, which, along with limited tax breaks (by international standards) for investment has reduced the incentive to innovate or mechanise jobs.

It's important to bear in mind that there are two ways to increase productivity; you can produce more with the same number of workers (which might operate to reduce factory gate profits if demand for the product is fixed) or, alternatively, you can produce the same amount of goods with a reduced number of workers...

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Spoke to my wife ,who I can assure you is no fool when it comes to shopping & she tells me that bread is, depending where you buy it from no more expensive than last year but regardless of that are you saying that the minimum wage is responsible for these phantom price increases Sugar tax will have a bearing & you'll be claiming next that fag prices have risen
    It couldn't have anything to do with the big food retailers paying higher dividends to their shareholders,could it ?
    Could do And no it won’t just be because of wage but other tax’s delivery cost and what not.

We shall see won’t we if I’m wrong il apologise and say I’m more wrong than right 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    Could do And no it won’t just be because of wage but other tax’s delivery cost and what not.

We shall see won’t we if I’m wrong il apologise and say I’m more wrong than right ��
    The research that Raging ‘presented’ confirms the risk of increased prices as a consequence of a Minimum Wage.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    The research that Raging ‘presented’ confirms the risk of increased prices as a consequence of a Minimum Wage.
    Thay research concluded that, despite forecasts of economic damage with the increase of the minimum wage, that there was minimal impact in actuality. Generally, a huge increase, at to 20 quid per hour would of course increase the risk. Hence the need to research, consult and set a minimum wage that is reasonable and balanced. Same with all tax rates.

Interesting that one of the most brain dead world political leaders we have ever seen ie Trump has come out in support of Boris and Farage. What does that tell us about those 2? What does it tell us about the folks who vote for them? Answers on a post card please...

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I have no proof, Raging. That's why I ended my post with 'Coincidence? Maybe'. What is your explantion for the rise in ZHCs and the gig economy (at a time when the EU was guaranteeing worker’s rights)? As you pointed out a few weeks ago (on the 'Democracy' thread?), many companies are operating on tight margins. Don't you think it inevitable that some will have responded and will respond to the increased costs pressures created by the Minimum Wage? That's not a reason for arguing against it, but it's a good idea to be mindful of reality.
    Good points Kerripops. I'm ashamed to say that my college is operating zero hours contracts for our high needs learning support workers. This means that if you can afford to pay for a support worker for three high needs students, if one of the students stops attending (for health reasons) you then cannot pay the hours for that third of the support worker that would have been paid. This can happen mid year and with no notice.

For to changes in how government fund councils and how councils are forced to reduce outlay for to ongoing government cuts to services, they can only pay us on this basis. So we have a high turnover of these crucial workers, that is massive in these vulnerable student's lives.

This is the reality that you would like us to be mindful of. But there are political choices underneath it. It doesn't have to be this way. It is presented as inevitable "what can you do?" but it is our collective choice to operate this way.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Interesting that one of the most brain dead world political leaders we have ever seen ie Trump has come out in support of Boris and Farage. What does that tell us about those 2? What does it tell us about the folks who vote for them? Answers on a post card please...
    I would give my left bo llock to have Trump as our Prime Minister. So refreshing to hear him today.

He would soon weed out the Commie troublemakers and incarcerate the whingers and leave all the cream to get on with the job of running the country.

The greatest President in history.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    I would give my left bo llock to have Trump as our Prime Minister. So refreshing to hear him today.

He would soon weed out the Commie troublemakers and incarcerate the whingers and leave all the cream to get on with the job of running the country.

Of course you would, you muppet ... and you're just waiting for Grist, Howdeedoodeedozy, Crash, Sota, Kempo, Tom Bonce. Monty (RIP), gmgmgmgmdumdumdum, Great Fascist, etc to agree with you , so you can "extract the urine" (copyright Jim Baxter) out of them... - You sad barsteward... it's not actually very amusing
    Last edited by mikemiller; 01-11-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post

You're trying way too hard.

Page 11 of 162 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast