+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 22 of 162 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T - general election 2019

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    Hi WanChai, read the articles by feminist writers like Julie Bindell and Janice Turner. Basically Wilson opposed moves to close the lap dancing club.
    Sammy Woodhouse has a point. Would prefer it if she was standing for election.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    1 or 2p on income tax wouldn't make a dent. That's the issue that politicians don't like to talk about.
    No, but it would be a start rather than borrowing, borrowing, borrowing.
    Tories yet to reveal where these tax cuts are aimed at, a change in the National Insurance payment level to help low paid perhaps.
    Tories can also stick 1p / 2p on my tax if elected.
    Last edited by CASPER-64-FRANK; 13-11-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    ... a change in the National Insurance payment level to help low paid perhaps.
    Casper, changes in NI are a bad way to help the low paid. Several economists have pointed out that NI changes which would cost £3 Billion would mainly help the better off and give the low paid on average £20 per year extra. Without being party political there is overwhelming evidence that the best and cheapest way to boost incomes of the low paid are changes to Universal Credit and in-work benefits.

Casper, changes in NI are a bad way to help the low paid. Several economists have pointed out that NI changes which would cost £3 Billion would mainly help the better off and give the low paid on average £20 per year extra. Without being party political there is overwhelming evidence that the best and cheapest way to boost incomes of the low paid are changes to Universal Credit and in-work benefits.
    Hi wendun,
    I didn’t make myself clear, I didn’t say NI would help the low paid it’s just something the Tories may look at and raising tax bands.
    Altering NI for the lower paid can affect their Universal Credit, they wouldn’t be any better off...
    unless the government increased UC to compensate.
    Noticed Boris mentions taking the freeze off UC.
    May increase the tax bands and...
    he’s talking about increasing my pension year on year...Election spin..?..

Casper, yes I see your NI point now. Difficult election for me. Never voted Tory and never will; class enemy and I don't give two hoots what anyone else says on that score. Can't vote for Corbyn for a whole host of reasons, not least open door on immigration. Don't like Swinson but I am completely against Brexit so LibDems or Greens may get my vote. Hadn't noticed the pensions thing from Bojo as I stopped listening to politicians about 50 years ago.

Do NI contribution still stop at the higher rate of taxation?

Here we pay 7% of 12000€ as a minimum contribution to health and then 7% onwards.

Obviously there is a top up insurance which cost around 50€ but that is picked up by the employer. If you're self employed you can offset it. If you on a low income then the health care is free.

Seeing a surgeon can knock you back 200€ but again if you're on low income it's free.

If you have a long term problem then your treatment for that problem is free.

I know that all of the taxes in the UK go into a pot and get shared out which is different than what I believe happens here.
    All of the tax for the health system goes to the health system.

The amount of things we get here in regards to service compare to the NHS and what it gives is miles apart.

This isn't to say that the NHS and those who work in it is bad because it isn't and they're not. I've just experienced better service here.

Frog, my sister has long argued that the French health service is superior. My old GP retired after suffering an embolism and will tell anyone he was lucky it happened when he was on holiday as he would have died in the UK. The NHS is imo hit and miss but it can't survive in its present form. The looming costs of social care and health care will overwhelm us and I expect euthanasia to be in a manifesto within 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Do NI contribution still stop at the higher rate of taxation?

Here we pay 7% of 12000€ as a minimum contribution to health and then 7% onwards.

Obviously there is a top up insurance which cost around 50€ but that is picked up by the employer. If you're self employed you can offset it. If you on a low income then the health care is free.

Seeing a surgeon can knock you back 200€ but again if you're on low income it's free.

If you have a long term problem then your treatment for that problem is free.

I know that all of the taxes in the UK go into a pot and get shared out which is different than what I believe happens here.
    All of the tax for the health system goes to the health system.

The amount of things we get here in regards to service compare to the NHS and what it gives is miles apart.

This isn't to say that the NHS and those who work in it is bad because it isn't and they're not. I've just experienced better service here.
    Interesting to look at how another country organises their health provision Frog. Just a couple of questions:

What is the low income threshold for low earners?
    What protections are there if for example i am a low/mid income person who has basic insurance cover and then have an accident that requires extensive care at say 5 - 10k. Will my basic insurance cover me for that?
    How does the state/private subsidise/pay for the the cover so that all citizens are covered at the point of need? How do they ensure that wastage is avoided if we think that our NHS is wasteful?
    Are any people left out, unable to get treatment due to cost?

Frog, my sister has long argued that the French health service is superior. My old GP retired after suffering an embolism and will tell anyone he was lucky it happened when he was on holiday as he would have died in the UK. The NHS is imo hit and miss but it can't survive in its present form. The looming costs of social care and health care will overwhelm us and I expect euthanasia to be in a manifesto within 10 years.
    Corbyn is going to spend more money on the NHS while at the same time he's going to remove all immigration controls massively increasing demand for it.

I don't think the electorate are quite as stupid as he and his front bench are.

Not half as stupid as certain posters on here.

I come on here and feel like chucking the feckin lap top thru the window with the crap some people post on here.

Get me a stiff drink somebody..

Page 22 of 162 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast