+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 35 of 162 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T - general election 2019

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    Get on the phone to each other.
    Do you think people are reading this s4it.
    I just wanted you to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    One thing we haven’t really seen yet is the “smear campaign” where one or more of the key players gets accused of something ie Boris/ Corbyn/ Farage screwed my cat in 1974.

Something easy to make up, completely untrue but good enough to start a media storm.
    I saw one yesterday on Twitter; "Jo Swinson shot red squirrels for kicks"!

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    I saw one yesterday on Twitter; "Jo Swinson shot red squirrels for kicks"!
    That’s the sort of thing, however she doesn’t qualify as a “key player” squirrels or no squirrels

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    How we move this forward Howdy. Do you want to get the exchange of insults out the way first?
    Poor little snowflake, you. ❤️❤️

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    Why is this country inadequate? I can get to London in under 2.5 hours on the train. I get the odd hold up at airports but can fly to the USA in under 8 hours. I’ve got a kid fresh from finishing their GCSE’s at a state run school, with grades ranging from level 7 to 9 across all subjects. Not paid a penny private because I don’t believe in it. Got another following who will do the same.

What’s inadequate?

Are you one of these businessmen or citizens who need a leg up to wipe your arse? A grant here or a consultant there?

It’s pathetic.
    Like you say our infrastructure works.* However, we are a country in transition and need to aim higher.*

In term of education of course you and very many families get their kids through with great results. But, Ive read on this message board, our schools and unis churn out way too many kids with totally irrelevant qualifications. You've said yourself you're reluctant to employ graduates out of our uni system in your business.

As examples there are 40,000 nursing vacacies and not a chance in hell of filling them. James Dyson tells us there's a shortage of 100,000 engineers.

My question is whether the system produces enough kids with the right qualifications to cover the needs of a country which is making the transition from EU to global player. Brexit ensures we can no longer import workers to cover skills and labour shortages.

One attraction of Britain is English. Many companies relocating to gain access to EU markets chose here due to language. The pull of access to EU markets has been taken away.

Dyson has moved his business to Singapore.* More worrying is that he is in the process of moving the main research and development part of the business to Shanghai. All major new products will be developed in China and msnufsctured in the far east. This leaves Bristol as a minor outpost. Hope its not a metaphor for Britain

Every time we attempt to improve infructure there are objections. Third Heathrow runway, high speed rail, superfast broadband.

Johnson said yesterday Brexit will unlock our potential as country. We're now a global player competing on the world stage trying to attract global investment. The attraction for high tech companies is skills, workforce and infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    Poor little snowflake, you. ❤️❤️
    Lol. Hope you've got the insults out your system.

Like you say our infrastructure works.* However, we are a country in transition and need to aim higher.*

In term of education of course you and very many families get their kids through with great results. But, Ive read on this message board, our schools and unis churn out way too many kids with totally irrelevant qualifications. You've said yourself you're reluctant to employ graduates out of our uni system in your business.

As examples there are 40,000 nursing vacacies and not a chance in hell of filling them. James Dyson tells us there's a shortage of 100,000 engineers.

My question is whether the system produces enough kids with the right qualifications to cover the needs of a country which is making the transition from EU to global player. Brexit ensures we can no longer import workers to cover skills and labour shortages.

One attraction of Britain is English. Many companies relocating to gain access to EU markets chose here due to language. The pull of access to EU markets has been taken away.

Dyson has moved his business to Singapore.* More worrying is that he is in the process of moving the main research and development part of the business to Shanghai. All major new products will be developed in China and msnufsctured in the far east. This leaves Bristol as a minor outpost. Hope its not a metaphor for Britain

Every time we attempt to improve infructure there are objections. Third Heathrow runway, high speed rail, superfast broadband.

Johnson said yesterday Brexit will unlock our potential as country. We're now a global player competing on the world stage trying to attract global investment. The attraction for high tech companies is skills, workforce and infrastructure.
    I assume that you accept that increasing corporate tax rates, reducing the requirements upon unions to act democratically when launching industrial action, raising the threat of nationalisation and generally creating a hostile environment for business is likely to significantly reduce our ability to compete for investment (and jobs) in whatever market we find ourselves in?

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post

Yes we should target all. Why is it when someone says we should do something about benefits the counter is 'well what about the rich people who are cheating the system's and vice verca. People who are aligned to one particular party seem to think only one of these can be done.

If people free their minds they may realise that we could do both.

Not everyone can be tarred with the same brush but it's quite obvious that there are many people that could have a barrow full of tar chucked at them.
    We do target both, but it is necessary to be clear why we are doing it.

If you approach it as a revenue raiser, you have to bear in mind the obvious that if it costs more to detect and then enforce on a fraud, there will be no benefit to the public purse.

Benefit frauds tend to be easier to detect that tax frauds. It's not too hard to show that a benefit claimant is failing to declare that they are working or are playing golf whilst claiming to be unable to work. It's devilishly difficult to show that, say, a plumber is doing cash in hand jobs that aren't going through his books.

The cost issue isn't a reason for not enforcing (there are moral and deterrence arguments for doing so) but is worth bearing in mind when assessing Labour's dog whistle claim that tackling tax fraud would provide cash to put towards their massive spending promises.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I assume that you accept that increasing corporate tax rates, reducing the requirements upon unions to act democratically when launching industrial action, raising the threat of nationalisation and generally creating a hostile environment for business is likely to significantly reduce our ability to compete for investment (and jobs) in whatever market we find ourselves in?
    Not sure where you pick this up from!!

The discussion is about the need for high speed broadband. I made a post in support of the need to upgrade to high speed. Howdys questioned why (?), saying that existing broadband is perfectly adequate.

I cant see Im making any argument in support of Labours plan to do it via nationalising Openreach.

Not sure where you pick this up from!!

The discussion is about the need for high speed broadband. I made a post in support of the need to upgrade to high speed. Howdys questioned why (?), saying that existing broadband is perfectly adequate.

I cant see Im making any argument in support of Labours plan to do it via nationalising Openreach.
    Thats the problem though isnt it? you listen to the fairy tails economics of John Mac and friends and you get the full bag of shyte that comes with it.

...in a shell if you vote labour you get nationalisation of openreach which you supported!

Page 35 of 162 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast