+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 64 of 162 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T - general election 2019

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised, that's probably were he got his " Beef " about Unions.
    Horrible times the 70's and 80's and most people I know have moved on from that era.
    I don’t have a beef with the TUs. I think they are essential in a democratic society. In the noughties, I was retained by one for several years to provide my professional services to its members under a legal protection scheme that they ran. It was a mutually beneficial arrangement (some of their funding decisions were rather bizarre and against my advice) and I never had an issue with the officials and members that I worked with.

Where the TUs and I part company is in respect of some of their behaviour in the 60s, 70s and 80s, when they pitted worker against worker and member against member in what were, in some instances, political rather than industrial actions.

They were horrible times and, sadly some people have been unable to move on, which always makes it a difficult and, I’m sure, a painful subject on here. All I will say is that something has gone very badly wrong when a TU ignores its own constitution, when it required a secret ballot in advance of official strike action and when its members have to take it to court to stop misapplying its member’s funds.

Sadly, the TUs hasted the departure of many manufacturing jobs from this country.
    Last edited by KerrAvon; 24-11-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Me and mi dad were there on the picket lines at Hadfields. Still got the stickers to prove it.Always remember my dad singing over a high ranking copper when he was trying to lecture our picketing group on how we should behave. The copper wasn't too pleased. Was worried mi dad might get arrested i was only a young lad...Didn't do the mass picket don't think mi dad would let me because he knew the rozzers would get rough...
    Maybe we met, Roly. No hard feelings on my part. You do know that the Hadfield's workers that you tried to stop were on less than you you?

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I don’t have a beef with the TUs. I think they are essential in a democratic society. In the noughties, I was retained by one for several years to provide my professional services to its members under a legal protection scheme that they ran. It was a mutually beneficial arrangement (some of their funding decisions were rather bizarre and against my advice) and I never had an issue with the officials and members that I worked with.

Where the TUs and I part company is in respect of some of their behaviour in the 60s, 70s and 80s, when they pitted worker against worker and member against member in what were, in some instances, political rather than industrial actions.

They were horrible times and, sadly some people have been unable to move on, which always makes it a difficult and, I’m sure, a painful subject on here. All I will say is that something has gone very badly wrong when a TU ignores its own constitution, when it required a secret ballot in advance of official strike action and when its members have to take it to court to stop misapplying its member’s funds.

Sadly, the TUs hasted the departure of many manufacturing jobs from this country.
    Fair comment.
    You were the one that mentioned a " Beef " some time ago.
    Read my post #624, the bit where I said the 70's and 80's were horrible times.
    and the bit where I said most people have " moved " on from that era.
    We don't want or need to go back to those days.
    Last edited by CASPER-64-FRANK; 24-11-2019 at 08:29 PM.

If the price of energy is a concern to you, the issue is whether a state owned monopoly would deliver cheaper prices to users than a competitive market. I doubt it, but there you go.
    The price of everything but the value of nothing sums you up perfectly

Maybe we met, Roly. No hard feelings on my part. You do know that the Hadfield's workers that you tried to stop were on less than you you?
    No hard feelings roly but still gets his usual dig in at the end
    So he knows what your wage was & that of the Hadfield boys
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 24-11-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    No hard feelings roly but still gets his usual dig in at the en
    So he knows what your wage was & that of the Hadfield boys
    They were on less money Exile, that didn't stop them waving £5 notes in the air on pay day to antagonize pickets.
    Like I said horrible times.
    Divide and Conquer.
    Last edited by CASPER-64-FRANK; 24-11-2019 at 08:35 PM.

Only one way to get out of the EU prison and that is to back Boris's deal.No other party wants to back the democratic will of the people and more delay would mean more uncertainty and huge risk of jobs.By trying to offer billions to entice the voters their credibility to govern is losing support.People know, you cannot throw money away like that.We owe it to our kids and grandkids,they would never forgive us if we failed to deliver.

You’ve one off on a bit of a tangent there, Wan. What has making employees shareholders got to do with this thread? How is that a 4th option in response to Labour’s policy?

I strongly believe that the best run companies are those that engage with their staff and I am all for employee shareholders. If Labour were to propose that then there would be no argument from me.
    Im be interested to know your understand the Labour policy. I read is as giving workers a 10% stake in big companies. You say above you agree it as a concept. But, against it, well, because Labour is proposing it. Odd.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...big-firms-work

Give an employee to shares in a listed company and the first thing that most would do is sell the shares.

Pension managers depend on some stability in shares, anything that upsets that stability would be bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    The price of everything but the value of nothing sums you up perfectly
    I’m not sure what point you are trying to make there, Zyles. A British manufacturer seeking to compete with foreign or domestic rivals is going to be concerned with price. ‘Value’ doesn’t come into it and I’m not sure how it could do where energy is concerned – one electron is pretty much like another.

Page 64 of 162 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast