+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 109 of 162 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1618

Thread: O/T - general election 2019

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Kerr - re Labour tax.

The truth is each company will take an individual opinion. There is no rule covering all. Its a balance of the tax increase over cost of relocation and shipping back into your domestic market. If you manufacture its a much bigger consideration. Obviously some companies are more fluid than others.

The far bigger consideration (and we've had this conversation before) is location (to your market, your historical roots and trained workforce).

We've seen it with non EU multi-nationals locating into the EU. If tax was the major driver they'd all be in Ireland.
    I have two issues with Labour’s Corporate Tax policies, WanChai:

The first issue that I take is with the fundamental dishonesty of Labour’s position. In essence, they are running a ‘webuyanyvote.com’ campaign on the basis that ‘someone else’ is going to be paying. That simply isn’t true. Businesses employ people, provide goods and services to people and pay dividends to people either directly or into pension funds that will provide for people’s retirement. It follows that taking money from business involves taking money from people. No amount of dissembling or muttering about ‘neoliberals’ changes that fundamental fact.

The second issue that I have with Labour is that their plan will raise corporate taxes to the point where they are taking more in corporation tax than any other G7 country.

Higher corporate tax rates will costs jobs and tax revenues in the UK. This article touches upon the outflow of business at the end of the last Labour government and the inflow after reductions in the UK corporate tax burden:

https://taxfoundation.org/tax-reform...ax-inversions/

It’s probably written by ‘neoliberals’ and so doesn’t count, but the Guardian reported on the return of one UK company from Ireland (one of a number) in response to tax changes under the coalition:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ised-return-uk

In answer to the Guardians question as to how many others would follow, at least one of the companies mentioned, Informa, returned to the UK in 2014:

https://informa.com/investors/shareh...ns/redomicile/

Finally, here is a useful source of advice for business owners:

https://smallbusiness.co.uk/move-uk-...eland-2542369/

Those changes took place in response to tax alone. How do you think companies are going to react to Labour’s 10% nationalisation plan?

It is of course correct that there are numerous drivers upon where a company chooses to employ people and have its tax base (and the those two aren’t the same thing). Amongst other reasons, the UK is attractive because we speak English, have a relatively well educated workforce, are a stable democracy and have the best corporate lawyers and commercial court system in the world.

They are all important factors, but to argue - as you seem to be doing - that they matter, but tax rates don’t is nonsensical. You either accept reality or you don’t – you can’t cherry-pick based upon the bits that suits your political allegiance.
    Last edited by KerrAvon; 07-12-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Exile I said the .....likes of the labour party....meaning they have been part of a larger group who have frustrated the process
    No ,you said "the likes of your beloved Labour Party" clearly putting your slant on the issue as Labour being the main "contenders"
    That's what you said so at least own it

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    The point I'm trying to make is that Johnson has positioned himself as the the Brexit Utopian and there's very little else he's prepared to divulge to the electorate .
    I've never subscribed to the leaving of the EU to be any other than an extremely difficult time , to say the least .
    The truth is I despise the Tories and the EU and it's left me with no vote at the GE .
    However I'll be fecked as a proud working class bloke to allow Johnson to suck people in with his unaccountable Brexit Utopia without at least an opinion .
    You have me confused a little animal.
    You despise the Tories and the EU and say short term / mid term we will take a hit and I agree. What I don't agree with is the working man will eventually be better off long term.
    The Utopian Brexit deal you mention is / was being driven by politicians, the same politicians you agreed with in a referendum.
    Name me three things how you will be better off personally when we come out of the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    But presumably you accept that notion of a Brexit utopia or you wouldn't have voted for it?

Or do you accept that it is going to be a bit **** (particularly for lower income people who can I'll afford to deal with price rises), but don't care?
    There you go again Kerr misquoting, he said unaccountable Brexit utopia......quite different
    you can’t cherry-pick based upon the bits that suits your political allegiance.
    Now where have I heard that before?
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 07-12-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Kerr. Im not arguing that tax rates dont matter. Read what I wrote.

In terms of your 'How to move to Ireland' article. If it were so we'd all be there. The truth is we are not. So yes tax is a factor, however the market proves it must be way down the list of motivator.

My mate who import widgets from France and installs them in the UK could not operate his business from Ireland. Its just a fact.

I'll read the other articles and come back to you later as just traveling.

Just a quick point on investment.

Higher corp tax wont automatically kill off investment. Corp tax deductable. So in the real world not automatic that higher corp tax will kill off investment that leads to job creation.

Just saw on news that Corbyns documents on nhs was posted by the Russians ffs could things get any worse

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Ive been saying this all along Animal. The northern working class has sided with milionaire Tories and will be the ultimate losers. Theyve been conned.

Johnson is relying totally on the Brexit vote and does not need to give a flying sh*t about the people. They are so confident they didnt even feel the need to produce a proper manifesto or run a decent campaign.
    Very well put Wanchai.The northern working class tory voters will be sacrificed to feed big business and why not, the tories have always seen the northern working class as an irritating pimple on their arses...but they will serve a useful purpose in this election...cynically very tactical I would say...and like you say some will be fooled...
    Last edited by rolymiller; 07-12-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    You have me confused a little animal.
    You despise the Tories and the EU and say short term / mid term we will take a hit and I agree. What I don't agree with is the working man will eventually be better off long term.
    The Utopian Brexit deal you mention is / was being driven by politicians, the same politicians you agreed with in a referendum.
    Name me three things how you will be better off personally when we come out of the EU.
    There's nothing to be confused about , the EU is a neoliberal dictatorship whose core interest is to big business and to the detriment of the working class in my opinion .

Anytime I'm given a one time opportunity to rid ourselves of such an organisation then as a working class man I'm going to take it .

I'm far from comfortable as the EU headed towards a United States Of Europe , it's not my flag and it never will be .

There are far too many unelected bureaucrats within the EU who whilst decision and policy makers are also unaccountable .

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Very well put Wanchai.The northern working class tory voters will be sacrificed to feed big business and why not, the tories have always seen the northern working class as an irritating pimple on their arses...but they will serve a useful purpose in this election...cynically very tactical I would say...and like you say some will be fooled...
    In that case they're backed millionaires against billionaires.

Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Citibank and Lloyds all contributed to the Remain referendum campaign.

Page 109 of 162 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159 ... LastLast