+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 41 of 162 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T - general election 2019

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    Twisting words.

You misinterpreted Animals comments and came up with a silly account of Britain today vs Victorian Britain.
    What??

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Do you think WCM when you're talking to wendun that it seems like you're talking to Kerr
    Strange sensation but Kerr will be having his early bird meal at his local Harvester, so just my imagination I guess
    Exiletyke, I don't go on other team's sites but if I did I hope I would behave respectfully. You are obviously a pr*ck if you are suggesting Wendun and Kerr are the same person. I doubt that many posters on here have had more arguments than Kerr and me. But sometimes I agree with him. I realise that pathetic pr*cks like the Tweedle gang and your good self can only understand this in terms of being the same person. Why the f*ck do you come on here? Is Barnsley so boring?

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    Exiletyke, I don't go on other team's sites but if I did I hope I would behave respectfully. You are obviously a pr*ck if you are suggesting Wendun and Kerr are the same person. I doubt that many posters on here have had more arguments than Kerr and me. But sometimes I agree with him. I realise that pathetic pr*cks like the Tweedle gang and your good self can only understand this in terms of being the same person. Why the f*ck do you come on here? Is Barnsley so boring?
    Don't recall using your sort of language wendun & you call that respectful do you?
    What's disrespectful ?
    I asked if it seems like you're talking to Kerr?
    I think thou doth protest too much

Why are some people resorting to such unsavoury language?

I has the misfortune of sitting next to someone on Saturday who used the most foul and abusive language towards the ref and lino I've ever heard at a football match. It was relentless and he was actually screaming in a high pitched voice he was that angry.
    There were two young girls in front of me aged about 14 and 15 who looked like sisters with their Mum. Both kept looking at this idiot and with extreme distress on their faces after some of the words he was using.

Totally unecessary and a complete enbarrassment to be associated with our club.
    WEst stand near the away fans and if that was anyone on this board please think before using language like that

Surprised neither main party has proposed slashing the foreign aid budget (crazy to be giving money to China and India). Would solve a lot of our problems in one fell swoop.

Exiletyke,
    Why the f*ck do you come on here? Is Barnsley so boring?
    I have always had a soft spot for the Millers
    In fact I have posted on here [some time ago] that my very first match I attendeded around late 50's early 60's was Barnsley v Rotherham in what was then the County Cup [pre season]
    & I consequently always look out for Rotherham's results & wish them all the best
    May be a poor reason in your book but there you go

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    I think that the price of housing was also significantly affected by the willingness of banks to lend up to 5 x the amount of buyer's wages as well as allowing them to continue to repay into their 70s. Bank's were very happy to hand out even risky mortgages as they know that if it defaults, they can simply take hold of the property. Relatively easy money and without any regulation, there was no reason for owners, obviously encouraged by the financial services industry (agents, advisers, banks) to not take advantage of this easy money creation scheme. Supply and demand is an important factor, but with some regulation, might not have been the wealth grab that emerged, that hugely disadvantages millions of youngsters today.
    Your post and, in particular, the claim of a 'wealth grab' is sadly typical of the anti-business narrative that appears to currently drive Labour. It's also wrong

Higher earning multiple mortgages were a response to rising house prices, not the cause of them. That was solely down to supply failing to keep up with demand. As for allowing people to take mortgages that would not be repaid into the borrower's 70s, what are you suggesting? That lenders practice age discrimination? That would be illegal after the Equality Act came into force.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Kerr just to tidy a few things up.

My reply was to Animal. The comment 'Victorian Britain' was to let him know my reply was linking to his post which he signed off 'This is 2019 not Victorian Britain' - my agreement was to the comments he made in that post.* So jump in by all means but please get the context right.

Having missed the point of my meaning 'Victorian Britain', pretty much all of what you say home ownership and house price inflation*has no relevance to my post.* We can have a different debate based on your post by all means.* I was commenting on rents for former council houses (and specically that now these are in private ownership tenants pay inflated commercial rates - I know commerial rates are based on the price of housing; my contention is that rents would not have gone up at commercial rates if council houses had remained in state ownership).

You either didnt grasp what I said or deliberately spun it to suit your take on history. I know my writing is not great but please lets have a debate on what intended to say and not on what you think I meant.
    Well I have to admit to now not having a clue what you meant when you said I agree with [animal] totally on 2019 Victorian Britain... It’s an odd thing to say if you were not in agreement with him ‘totally on 2019 Victorian Britain’ and were actually talking about the rest of his post and not that specific comment.

If it’s the case that it was just animal being silly then fair enough.

You were talking about many things other than council house rents, but I’m happy to address the point that you make. Your contention that council rents would not have gone up at commercial rates if council houses had remained in state ownership is pure speculation. Assuming that you are right, however, what you are actually saying is that you believe that the tenants of those house would have had their housing costs subsidised by the state in the form of a discount on commercial rents. That’s hardly fair on tenants in private rented accommodation who receive no such support from the taxpayer is it?

Of course, people on low incomes receive state support with housing costs – in the form of housing and other benefits - irrespective of whether they are in Local Authority or private rented accommodation.

The bottom line is that housing costs have increased because insufficient houses have been built to match the growth in the number of households.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Oh, PS my chum. I should have said rent, utilities and other basic costs (just to be clear like insurance, tv licence, water rate, council tax - anything Ive missed ?).

You're going down the pedantic route of our chum the Barnsley nitpicker - lol.
    If you post about 'rent and utility bills', I think it entirely reasonable for me to assume that you mean 'rent and utility bills'. You can’t seriously be arguing otherwise?

Kerr, one small point. As you say the Lancaster firms were mainly in wallpapers, fabrics and floor covering. I am not at all certain that in these sectors UK production was uncompetitive. The problem was that the decisions to close were irreversible, plant sold off and skills base quickly lost. So far as I know there are no significant manufacturing jobs now in the Lancaster area and the major employers are the NHS and the University. A friend who was a chemist at Storeys now drives a bus.
    I don’t know anything about the wallpaper and floor coverings industries, but there were a number of factors at play in the second half of the twentieth century including a drive to consolidate production – merging and centralising in order to try to achieve economies of scale, for example. Such industries are also very susceptible to changing fashions. The fabric industry was under pressure from competition from lower cost economies

It’s certainly true that once an industry has gone, it is hard for it to be reinstated. That’s one of the reasons I am so worried about a Labour government. It’s easy to say that it will just be for five years as a new generation of the electorate learn the lessons of the past, but the damage that their anti business policies do will last for much longer.

Page 41 of 162 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast