+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 48 of 162 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T - general election 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Redshank View Post
    I think you meant nationalisation

The public utilities and public transport i.e. life's essentials, were effectively owned by general public (me and you) prior to Thatchers programme of privatisation back in the 80's. They were essentially funded through taxation but were non-profit making meaning that the general public enjoyed well funded and cheap water, energy, public transport etc. (you could now include internet access as a life essential). Privatisation has resulted in spiralling bills for the general public as the private companies sought to maximise profits. There was a lot of angst about this in the 90's as people increasingly struggled to pay utility bills. Nowadays, people are immune to crippling utility bills and seem to accept it as a way of life. There was, and still could be, another way; public utilities and essential services run by the government for the benefit of the general population not a handful of shareholders.

Lack of sufficient investment in the essential, but now privatised, public services means that they frequently need government money (i.e. mine and yours) to continue to provide the service...and turn a profit for the shareholders of course. Occasionally they catastrophically fail to provide the services they've been entrusted with....remember Carillion a couple of years ago?

So the "benefit" of nationalisation of the essential public utilities is that you get well funded, efficient & cheap water, energy, transport and broadband.
    That was in 80s though wasn’t it in 80s you could get a lot more for a £1 than you can get now I remember getting a can of pop two bags of crisp 2 bars of chocolate and still money for pic and mix. now days you could buy a bar of chocolate and that’s it.

I honestly don’t know if it would be cheaper like you say or would prices stay the same and the profits just go to the corrupt mps who are in power. I don’t know. But my trust in politicians is zero I wouldn’t trust any of them to run a tap never mind a country.

The whole format of the debate was awful. It was like a cheap and tacky quiz show.

I nearly threw up when the awful Julie Etchingham got them to shake hands.

It was utter tripe, bitesize politics for a generation who can't go more than 30 seconds without looking at their phone.

This country is well and truly in the sh itter and we deserve everything we get.

My advice is DO NOT VOTE for any of these corrupt self-serving B astards.
    Last edited by the_idiotb_stardson; 20-11-2019 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    The whole format of the debate was awful. It was like a cheap and tacky quiz show.

I nearly threw up when the awful Julie Etchingham got them to shake hands.

It was utter tripe, bitesize politics for a generation who can't go more than 30 seconds without looking at their phone.

This country is well and truly in the sh itter and we deserve everything we get.

My advice is DO NOT VOTE for any of these corrupt self-serving B astards.
    Yes it was circus with extra clowns

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    Not a dramatic debate tonight but one which I thought Jeremy Corbyn just edged.
    Boris Johnson was doing okay up to about 20mins and then Jeremy Corbyn came across better in the second half of the program.
    Credit to Julie Etchingham for keeping them in reasonable check.
    That's interesting that casper. i was reading that a lot of people didn't tune in to the progrsamme till the last part of the prog so maybe if what you say istrue about corbyn having a better second half that may have given them some positive Corbyn influence. Then I though why did they tune into it at that time ? Was it cos Im a celeb was on next. In which case, if Labour gets in, perhaps they can thank Ant and Dec. In saying that a lot of Sun readers watch Im a celeb so maybe not...

I watched MasterChef. I am going to have a crack at the pea rissoto, but will add a little mint to it.

Ah, well you are a cultured guy Kerr. Master Chef or I'm a Celeb: no contest. Sounds nice by the way, no meat involved?

Masterchef was on at the same time as the debate. It's content was far more palatable than what the prospective Prime Ministers were serving.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    That's interesting that casper. i was reading that a lot of people didn't tune in to the progrsamme till the last part of the prog so maybe if what you say istrue about corbyn having a better second half that may have given them some positive Corbyn influence. Then I though why did they tune into it at that time ? Was it cos Im a celeb was on next. In which case, if Labour gets in, perhaps they can thank Ant and Dec. In saying that a lot of Sun readers watch Im a celeb so maybe not...
    To be really honest roly I taped it and watched it after MasterChef......��
    Missus watched Celebrity and told me about the remark that Ant said lol...naught but nice.
    Both of them didn't tell me anything I didn't know already.
    The Prince Andrew question was different though.

Hope you get what you want roly, can't see it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Farage did better than both, in the interview on ITV and on Question Time with the usual hostile left-wing audience.

Johnson would probably have crumbled under pressure like that and been even more blusterly than usual.
    I saw that and it was typical Beeb.The selected audience certainly did not represent the voters of Peterborough, where it was 61% leave.Funnily enough the BBC could not "find" any leavers around,so rent a crowd got the invite..It really is desparado from the remoaning "elite" and the constant denial of democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I watched MasterChef. I am going to have a crack at the pea rissoto, but will add a little mint to it.
    Mint?....what evidence do you have that mint improves pea risotto? Radical changes to tried and tested recipes require clear substantiation.
    Link please...with reliable testimonials

Page 48 of 162 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast