+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Brin type dynasour

O/T Brin type dynasour

Brin reminded me of something. With his old stuff.
    If satellite disruption happened. How would we communicate. I'm talking about a real bad situation.
    I have an old CB transmitter which would still work but limited distance..
    Brin would have the juke box .while I Am getting help .
    We would be ****ed.

Trouble is no one else has a CB radio 🤗

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    Trouble is no one else has a CB radio 🤗
    I’ve got a rubber duck

Crash, great points!

Take Sat Nav's for instance. As an ex HGV, now LGV, driver back in the 90's, all my journeys were planned by a road map, an Atlas as some called them. Very rarely did I read my map wrong and probably had one or two issues if I were ever re routed due to road works etc but, I soon worked it all out to get to my destinations. Some folk today wouldn't know how to read a map.

Driver's of today would wet themselves if ever their Sat Nav went down. As for Sat Nav manufacturers, let's take look at Garmin, one of the UK's biggest sellers. 'IF' the USA flicked their switch to off which runs certain satellites, it's reported that it would render Garmin Sat Nav's useless as it is the USA that hold the licensing rights to run them and, it's reported that 60% of the world's Sat Nav's would also fail. Frightening stats or what?

Trouble is no one else has a CB radio ��
    Use to have one in the car and our kid had one in the bedroom. Great whip aerials fastened to the side of the car and if it came out of it's fitting, you'd have a 10 foot thing whipping about all over the place. This was a common site back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Crash, great points!

Take Sat Nav's for instance. As an ex HGV, now LGV, driver back in the 90's, all my journeys were planned by a road map, an Atlas as some called them. Very rarely did I read my map wrong and probably had one or two issues if I were ever re routed due to road works etc but, I soon worked it all out to get to my destinations. Some folk today wouldn't know how to read a map.

Driver's of today would wet themselves if ever their Sat Nav went down. As for Sat Nav manufacturers, let's take look at Garmin, one of the UK's biggest sellers. 'IF' the USA flicked their switch to off which runs certain satellites, it's reported that it would render Garmin Sat Nav's useless as it is the USA that hold the licensing rights to run them and, it's reported that 60% of the world's Sat Nav's would also fail. Frightening stats or what?
    True. You'd read a map to get you from A-B and obey street signs on the way. The street configuration outside where I work changed recently and where people could previously turn right that is now no longer a legal turn. Problem is people don't read street signs and the sat nav systems are lagging behind so everyone continues to take the turn and it's only a matter of time before a pedestrian or a cyclist get's seriously hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    True. You'd read a map to get you from A-B and obey street signs on the way. The street configuration outside where I work changed recently and where people could previously turn right that is now no longer a legal turn. Problem is people don't read street signs and the sat nav systems are lagging behind so everyone continues to take the turn and it's only a matter of time before a pedestrian or a cyclist get's seriously hurt.
    Well you be careful then young man crossing that road.......

Trouble is no one else has a CB radio ��
    Crash, just remembered that I've got the modern version of a CB Radio. I have a pair of Binatone Marina 900 walkie talkies capable of a range of 5 miles and they have 30 channels. These might come in useful one day. Bought them for fishing to keep in touch with other mates.

Fishing?

Do you mean poaching?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Fishing?

Do you mean poaching?
    ...no I always put them back...