+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ward and Jones

Ward and Jones

I thought you would be entertained by the latest on these two. Our manager was cheered and clapped by our fans when Ward was subbed yesterday at Northampton. I haven't seen him play as I don't go anymore, but hes slower than a sloth apparently.

Jones played the first game of the season and was man of the match. In that game he broke his foot without knowing and has been out since then. Is Jones a sick note player.? He fits in here, United are a sicknote club, they go down like flies here, every game two or three players are out for weeks or months.

Are you lot alright? I notice where you are in the league. You sold out the away allocation at Chesterfield. Its like you have taken to non league football. It takes all sorts I suppose. When United were down there I couldn't get excited about it.

That just got worse. Modern football is rubbish. You don't have to turn up till 4, nothing happens before then. And its the same game, every time. Its sterile, negative, impotent, dirge like, a living death.

Giusseppe.

Jones was ok going forward but can't defend, not good for a full back.

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw2 View Post
    I thought you would be entertained by the latest on these two. Our manager was cheered and clapped by our fans when Ward was subbed yesterday at Northampton. I haven't seen him play as I don't go anymore, but hes slower than a sloth apparently.

Jones played the first game of the season and was man of the match. In that game he broke his foot without knowing and has been out since then. Is Jones a sick note player.? He fits in here, United are a sicknote club, they go down like flies here, every game two or three players are out for weeks or months.

Are you lot alright? I notice where you are in the league. You sold out the away allocation at Chesterfield. Its like you have taken to non league football. It takes all sorts I suppose. When United were down there I couldn't get excited about it.

That just got worse. Modern football is rubbish. You don't have to turn up till 4, nothing happens before then. And its the same game, every time. Its sterile, negative, impotent, dirge like, a living death.

Giusseppe.
    Jones was a poor defender by a long nose. So you have been saved.

Pinochlio

Jones played the first game of the season and was man of the match. In that game he broke his foot without knowing and has been out since then. Is Jones a sick note player.?
    I wouldn't call Jones a sicknote player, but it will strengthen your squad if he's on the injury list.

It surprises me that no manager has tried converting Jones into a winger . . . he has speed, can beat a man and has the ability to put in a great cross and create goals - Forte's goal in the playoff at Coventry was a prime example.
    But a full-back he ain't.

Giusseppe.
    How do you know it's rubbish if you never go? And if you are no longer interested in it, why continue to go on about it? Either support you team no matter what, or don't. But either way, accept that Cambridge are and probably always will be a run-of-the-mill lower-league team, and that modern football is all about money. It's possible to accept those things and still enjoy watching your team.

As for us, after a poor start we've picked up a bit of form. Playoffs is the aim. I think we're all enjoying it a lot more than last season. If anything, away attendances are up. I know we're supposed to go on about how it's a fate worse than death, but honestly, having a club to support, some decent owners for once, and winning a few games here and there has made most of us feel pretty good again. Sorry if that doesn't go with the 'pit of despair' narrative.

Good points there slacky. The difference is that we have had 25 years of incompetence on and off the pitch, and I have given up on it in terms of going. But I do still listen to it on the radio. Does it matter to you that County now will never get into the top two tiers.? It matters to me.
    There is no pathway to success anymore.

I suspect that you cant accept that, and will say that there is. Its like I am drawing your attention to something you don't want to know. Having said that, just having a game of football seems to be enough. Is it? In my lifetime I can remember County in Div 1, with Chiedozie etc.

Cambridge made the playoffs for the premier league. Goodbye to that. You say its possible to accept these things and still enjoy a game. I cant. The game has been hijacked by the rich. Just look where small low attendance clubs are, like Forest Green Fleetwood, etc, and where traditional potentially high attendance big city clubs like York and Stockport are.

And Notts county. Im not paying for a Cambridge season ticket to develop players who go to bigger clubs overnight. The club doesn't need to be a success to lose its best players, and the hole that is left is huge.

So the cycle begins again. And the fee isn't big enough to cover the costs of one player.

Rebel Scream. Or Bob to you.

No, it doesn't really matter to me that we won't play at the highest level. There's an outside chance that we could one day make the second tier, but that would take some serious funds. While I'd love for Notts to be more successful than they have been, just for the fans to have something to cheer about for once, who says playing in the Premier League is all that great anyway?

Imagine you got promoted to the top division. You'd be absolute whipping boys for clubs with way more money than you. Or, if you somehow got billionaire owners and became the next Man City, you'd have all these new glory supporters waving their half-and-half scarves. You'd have more fans in the USA and China than in the UK. Most normal fans wouldn't be able to afford a season ticket, and even if they wanted one they'd be on a waiting list. To be honest, I'd rather my club kept its identity - it's heart and soul - than becoming some rich boy's plaything.

The Premier League is packed with clubs that are just there to make up the numbers. There are a couple that could win it, a few more that could get Euro qualification, and then the rest. What, realistically, can supporters of Southampton look forward to, now that the novelty of playing against celebrities has worn off?

I think you need to take a different outlook. Success, like many things in life, is relative. Success for Cambridge or Notts might be promotion to L1, followed by top half finishes / playoff pushes, with crowds of 8k. Success for Real Madrid is literally winning every competition they enter - anything less is failure. Look at it this way: if you got a raise at work, or a better job with a bigger salary, would you be happy, or would you sit at home and complain that while a bit more money or job satisfaction is nice, you'll never have as much money as Jeff Bezos?

Supporting a lower-league club is different to supporting a successful, rich club. You don't get to play in cup finals, and you don't have any realistic hope of winning anything 'major'. But I guarantee you that when success comes to your club or mine, in whatever form it takes, it will feel as good or better than it will for all those fans of teams who expect to win everything.

If you just want to watch a team that wins stuff, stick in the TV and pick a side. Pick Liverpool or Man City, or hedge your bets with both. Pick Barca or Bayern Munich. See how 'good' it feels to support a winning team. Or support your local team - the team that actually means something to you, and that actually needs your support now more than ever. You'll be rewarded in the smallest of moments.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 29-10-2019 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    No, it doesn't really matter to me that we won't play at the highest level. There's an outside chance that we could one day make the second tier, but that would take some serious funds. While I'd love for Notts to be more successful than they have been, just for the fans to have something to cheer about for once, who says playing in the Premier League is all that great anyway?

Imagine you got promoted to the top division. You'd be absolute whipping boys for clubs with way more money than you. Or, if you somehow got billionaire owners and became the next Man City, you'd have all these new glory supporters waving their half-and-half scarves. You'd have more fans in the USA and China than in the UK. Most normal fans wouldn't be able to afford a season ticket, and even if they wanted one they'd be on a waiting list. To be honest, I'd rather my club kept its identity - it's heart and soul - than becoming some rich boy's plaything.

The Premier League is packed with clubs that are just there to make up the numbers. There are a couple that could win it, a few more that could get Euro qualification, and then the rest. What, realistically, can supporters of Southampton look forward to, now that the novelty of playing against celebrities has worn off?

I think you need to take a different outlook. Success, like many things in life, is relative. Success for Cambridge or Notts might be promotion to L1, followed by top half finishes / playoff pushes, with crowds of 8k. Success for Real Madrid is literally winning every competition they enter - anything less is failure. Look at it this way: if you got a raise at work, or a better job with a bigger salary, would you be happy, or would you sit at home and complain that while a bit more money or job satisfaction is nice, you'll never have as much money as Jeff Bezos?

Supporting a lower-league club is different to supporting a successful, rich club. You don't get to play in cup finals, and you don't have any realistic hope of winning anything 'major'. But I guarantee you that when success comes to your club or mine, in whatever form it takes, it will feel as good or better than it will for all those fans of teams who expect to win everything.

If you just want to watch a team that wins stuff, stick in the TV and pick a side. Pick Liverpool or Man City, or hedge your bets with both. Pick Barca or Bayern Munich. See how 'good' it feels to support a winning team. Or support your local team - the team that actually means something to you, and that actually needs your support now more than ever. You'll be rewarded in the smallest of moments.
    Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post

I agree with you totally, but I didnt see too many Notts fans moaning when Munto annoucned project premiership for Notts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast