+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Set Pieces

Set Pieces

Why are we so utterly dreadful at offensive set pieces? I don't remember us scoring any goals from a corner this season and not much better from free kicks. Most teams achieve a reasonable rate of return from set pieces (for example, last night Bristol ****ty scored 2 goals from corners) but we never look threatening. Only Pablo looks like he might ever score from a free kick. Douglas arrived with the reputation of a great 'assist' provider but has done very little (last season or this). Phillips seems to have reasonable delivery but too often fails to even clear the first defender and if the ball does ever reach the danger (or, in our case - not so danger) area then nobody ever gets on the end of it.

Set pieces should make an important contribution to our goal tally - particulary important for us at the moment since we seem to find goals of any sort hard to come by.

So why is it that we are so sh1t at them?

Quote Originally Posted by UbiqueLUFC33 View Post
    Why are we so utterly dreadful at offensive set pieces? I don't remember us scoring any goals from a corner this season and not much better from free kicks. Most teams achieve a reasonable rate of return from set pieces (for example, last night Bristol ****ty scored 2 goals from corners) but we never look threatening. Only Pablo looks like he might ever score from a free kick. Douglas arrived with the reputation of a great 'assist' provider but has done very little (last season or this). Phillips seems to have reasonable delivery but too often fails to even clear the first defender and if the ball does ever reach the danger (or, in our case - not so danger) area then nobody ever gets on the end of it.

Set pieces should make an important contribution to our goal tally - particulary important for us at the moment since we seem to find goals of any sort hard to come by.

So why is it that we are so sh1t at them?
    Not enough height in the team, Alioski looked like a child against most of the Sheffield player

We also look very fragile / vulnerable, when defending corners etc, its obvious the MB likes ball playing CBs, but a Jansson / Barkley type player alongside White, would be ideal. With Whites current form, could be difficult to keep him on loan, which would be massive blow.

Quote Originally Posted by bathlad61 View Post
    We also look very fragile / vulnerable, when defending corners etc, its obvious the MB likes ball playing CBs, but a Jansson / Barkley type player alongside White, would be ideal. With Whites current form, could be difficult to keep him on loan, which would be massive blow.
    If we lose White then I think that's probbaly game over :-(

Quote Originally Posted by UbiqueLUFC33 View Post
    If we lose White then I think that's probbaly game over :-(

Thats the problem with loan players when the parent club insert the recall clause.

*Wonders if Man citeh will recall Harrison*

Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post
    Thats the problem with loan players when the parent club insert the recall clause.

*Wonders if Man citeh will recall Harrison*

We can but hope.

Watched the lad we sold to Barnsley (Halme) play last night and have to say he looked pretty solid and scored a cracking header..think we would have been wiser to loan him rather than sell him given our lack of CB's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post
    Watched the lad we sold to Barnsley (Halme) play last night and have to say he looked pretty solid and scored a cracking header..think we would have been wiser to loan him rather than sell him given our lack of CB's.
    Yes I thought he had a good game for them. The commentators kept mispronouncing his name which was mildly annoying. I thought that Andreas Weimann played well for Sh1ty too; shame we don't have someone like him.

I get the impression we dont practise attacking set pieces, certainly not often enough. Long time since I saw a Leeds free kick where I thought that had been worked on at training.

As you point out, some teams survive in a league by relying heavily on getting those free kicks/corners.

Makes you wonder what they do in training, apart from lots of running.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)