+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Var

... don't know what all the fuss is about. Just scrap the offside rule. Then we'd see some interesting football!

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    If the folk on the other end of VAR cannot make a change of decision within 10seconds then a "clear and obvious error" has not been made.

Who on earth decided that an estimate of centre of gravity is required for off-side. Personally I'd like to see the rule changed to "offside is there is clear daylight between the defender and the attacker".
    I see Gary Lineker has nicked my comment - he's just spread it out to 30s-1min.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... don't know what all the fuss is about. Just scrap the offside rule. Then we'd see some interesting football!
    I agree. It's an outdated rule. Goal hanging may potentially be an issue but I'm sure the powers that be could find a solution

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    I agree. It's an outdated rule. Goal hanging may potentially be an issue but I'm sure the powers that be could find a solution
    Should be easy to implement. Quite simply if you are in the opponents half and the wrong side of the last defender when the ball is played you should be deemed to be goal hanging, simples!

Goal hanging was my best position when I were a lad.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    If the folk on the other end of VAR cannot make a change of decision within 10seconds then a "clear and obvious error" has not been made.

Who on earth decided that an estimate of centre of gravity is required for off-side. Personally I'd like to see the rule changed to "offside is there is clear daylight between the defender and the attacker".
    I agree.

I'm 100% in favour of VAR, but if you were cynical, you would think the powers-that-be in English football were trying their best to deliberately discredit it.

The Sheffield United goal ruled out by VAR yesterday was not a clear and obvious error by any stretch of the imagination, and I agree with you that we should return to the clear daylight rule which was in place a few years ago. If we did, then VAR could be used to good effect to determine clear and obvious errors, as opposed to arguments over whether the attacker's toe was slightly further forward than the defender's knee.

VAR, used well, can reduce the number of wrong and unfair decisions in a game where poor officiating can potentially cost clubs a lot of money. It's not jumpers for goalposts in the park anymore. Football is a serious business as well as entertainment. The technology is here and it isn't going away, but the Premier League needs to ask itself why it is making such a cack-handed job of implementing a system that has been running in other leagues (like MLS) successfully for a while now.

Can anyone help me out here? I'm just keeping an eye on the Liverpool v Man City game via the BBC live text service, so haven't seen any pictures at all. It seems that Man City had a penalty appeal for handball turned down and Liverpool went straight up the other end and scored. The handball incident went to VAR, which backed the original decision, despite many saying it should have been a penalty. My question is this - if VAR had decided it was a penalty, would the Liverpool goal stand and Man City be awarded a penalty, or would the penalty have been given and the Liverpool goal been chalked off?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Can anyone help me out here? I'm just keeping an eye on the Liverpool v Man City game via the BBC live text service, so haven't seen any pictures at all. It seems that Man City had a penalty appeal for handball turned down and Liverpool went straight up the other end and scored. The handball incident went to VAR, which backed the original decision, despite many saying it should have been a penalty. My question is this - if VAR had decided it was a penalty, would the Liverpool goal stand and Man City be awarded a penalty, or would the penalty have been given and the Liverpool goal been chalked off?
    And there lies the problem with VAR. And a problem I certainly don’t have an answer to!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    It should have been a penalty to City, without a shadow. Goes without saying that the Liverpool goal would then have been "chalked off".Always here to help.

Absolutely should have been a penalty.
    Liverpool may very well have won anyway....but who knows. The point is, what is the point of VAR if decisions which very much are clear are not given. His arm was not by his side and did stop the ball going to a player who may have scored without his intervention. Those are the facts. Penalty.

Where VAR falls down unlike cricket and a rugby is that it takes the final decision away from the ref.

The idea of “faceless” premier league bods deciding these things just does not sit well with fans. They can excuse ref errors, but not VAR ones.
    Last edited by The_Don_ORiordan; 10-11-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast