+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accrington

Accrington

So we've gone two games without scoring. I think shots on target should be the major concern for this match. There's no use generally having 63% possession if most of that is between goalkeeper and the two centre halves. The midfield needs to get hold of this game by the scruff of the neck. I would also be tempted to switch Charlie on to the other wing so that he can push for the byline on his stronger foot. Bring Owen over to the left and let him try shooting by coming inside. His shots can't be worse than his crosses! Give Rio a go at right back and let Perry play deep mid. He might even score from there. At least put the new guy on the bench as an emergency centre-forward in case there's a need to head some fridges!
    I'm going for 1-1 and really sticking my neck out to say we'll score first.

Listening to the game tonight I'm now really worried about the next few months never mind on Saturday. We need to have a more dynamic attacking approach than we currently have. Whatever we do we mustn't abandon wing play. Possibly we can manage with one and have the other playing alongside the main striker. Or just get back to 4-4-2

Well I hope at your prediction is correct. Would love to see a replay back home.

Only listened to the last 15 minutes of last nights game so really not in a position to comment. Was it more of the same, everything through the middle? I can only presume it was bad when "sit on the fence McGarry " made the following comment following the end of the penalty shoot out. "Crewe cannot continue playing this system". Mind you be prepared for a rebuff from Peter Morse with his famous "I can understand why they are doibg that".

So you are going for the young right back and moving Ng into the midfield. Slightly different from mine but still a good positive choice. So the big question is which one of the midfielders stands down? Love to hear your choice.

Wintle is an automatic choice so Green would miss out. Sorry, I got the wrong youngster for right back. I should have said Travis J.

We all make mistakes naming some of the squad players lol. Once again we slightly differ.For me at this moment I would give Lowery a rest. Personally I believe it is him that is causing the problem. He is even playing in a position that does not exist in the modern game. Green is far more adaptable.

Quote Originally Posted by lukcour View Post
    He is even playing in a position that does not exist in the modern game. Green is far more adaptable.
    You are so far ahead of me on tactical nous...... or bull****. Think that's the Christmas card gone for a burton!

The problem is that both Green and Lowery are good at finding space, but we need them exercising a little more restraint. I missed the Colchester game, but the Vale, Exeter and Swindon matches all seemed to have us getting a bit outnumbered in the middle of the park as they pressured our Back 4. This tactic proved a bit exhausting for all 3 opponents and we certainly finished all 3 matches on the front foot, but couldn’t find a way through the doughty Vale back 4 - and a lack of decent chances was clear.

I’m not sure playing Perry in the middle would help as he might be treading on Wintle’s territory - and he’s player of the season so far. The wide men need to help out more. Ainley gave Perry no help on Saturday and don’t get me started on Charlie who, when he doesn’t get what he wants, waves his arms around like an Indian policeman on point duty. Powell and Dale are better, at least they try, but if our CBs get pressurised, and the FBs have to drop in tighter to help, we are wide open down the flanks.

I guess it’s down to the management to either coach the players to get round the problem (or other sides better than the Vale will take full advantage) or change the personnel - I don’t think playing them out of their best position will help much.

One of the positives of the last day or two is the realisation that we have excellent managerial/tactical knowledge in our fan base. When DA moves on or is sacked, we need look no further than AA or Lukcour, both seem well qualified.
    I say again, so pleased I am not at that level of knowledge/ intensity.
    Turn up, beer x2 or 3. Watch the game, go home.
    Perhaps the prematch beer is clouding my (non) tactical acumen.

No such claims from me, I just say what I see as Roy Walker would have it.

I’m just delighted that we have an entertaining, attractive team to watch, so much so that everyone else seems to want to stop us! Less face it, kids make more mistakes and their form is more variable than older players, but they’re fun to watch... and if they were better and/or more consistent they wouldn’t be gracing the hallowed turf at Gresty Road.

Jimmy is it the beer that gives you such sensitivity and good manners? Such a rare gift these days.

When members like you have such a wonderful talent and excellent vocabulary it is amazing more people do not join this forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast