+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your verdict on VAR

I am still bemused at why the FA chose to handle VAR diferently to the way every other country that uses it does. A way which goes against what FIFA preaches. The ref is the final arbiter. If the VAR ref thinks there is reason to change a decision, he should tell the ref what and why and then the ref goes o look at the pitchside monitor. If he agrees with the video ref then he changes his mind. If he disagrees then his first decision stands.

Spurs v Sheff U yesterday. Goal disallowed because a winger was offside 15 to 20 seconds earlier. The VAR showed the lines andcompared the winger to the position of the knee of the last defender. Half a big toe nail was offside so the goal was chalked off. IMO that was a wrong decision. Half a toenail is neither clear nor obvious and shouldn't overturn the original decision according to FIFA Law on VAR usage. If you look closer, you will see that the defender used by the VAR actually had a shoulder and part of his head closer to his own goal line than the knee used as the bench mark...... The guy was NOT offside and the goal should have stood.

Nothing wrong with VAR, just with the way the FA has chosen to use it. IMO FIFA should fine the FA for bringing the game into disrepute through not following instructions.

Here, here, typical of the FA, full of their own pissing importance!! We'll do it our way and balls it up!! After all that's our speciality, making dog **** out of an otherwise good idea!! Tossers!!

Just seen Norwich have a perfectly good ‘goal’ from Pukki against Tottenham chalked off by VAR, both unnecessarily and quite inaccurately imo.
    Great goal...should have counted, but ‘no’...VAR had to be involved where it wasn’t needed and the fans were robbed again.

Good in theory but it has to be used properly by people who understand football.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Just seen Norwich have a perfectly good ‘goal’ from Pukki against Tottenham chalked off by VAR, both unnecessarily and quite inaccurately imo.
    Great goal...should have counted, but ‘no’...VAR had to be involved where it wasn’t needed and the fans were robbed again.

Good in theory but it has to be used properly by people who understand football.
    RA I was swearing at the screen over that one it's getting a complete joke That was a perfectly good goal the linesman gave it the ref gave it .So why is it referred I still don't think he was offside certainly wasn't conclusive

Terrible decision, camera not in line so they use some crappy grid system!!
    I'm waiting for a goal disallowed because the player saw a buxom lady in the crowd and he was 'excited' shall we say. The bulge in his shorts making him offside!!
    Not how VAR should be used, get rid except for pennoes!

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    RA I was swearing at the screen over that one it's getting a complete joke That was a perfectly good goal the linesman gave it the ref gave it .So why is it referred I still don't think he was offside certainly wasn't conclusive
    A referral is not necessary. They, as a matter of rule, look at the build up to any goal to see if there was an offence that might lead to it being chalked off.

Technically, they have been right with these 2mm offside decisions. The player WAS offside and the goal shouldn't stand according to the Laws of the game. However, One of the prerequisites for using it is that a "clear and obvious error has been made". IMO, these very close offside calls are neither clear nor obvious and those goals should stand.

That then begs the question, how far offside should a player be to have the missing of offside deemed to be clear and obvious...... can of worms well and truly open.

The idea of VAR is good. The rules for its use are simple to understand. The problem is that the refs who are manning the camera views aren't sticking to the mandate. Not in deciding what is clear and obvious and also the referee not getting an explanation from the VAR and then going to see the video himself and making the decision himself rather than accepting the VAR viewpoint (which the rest of the world does and the FIFA Law says is what should happen....).

I am 100% for the use of VAR and 100% against how it is used in the PL.

Liverpool v Wolves summed up VAR for me. Excellent in it’s use of overruling the referee to allow the Liverpool goal which was neither handball nor offside. Utterly stupid in disallowing the Wolves equaliser where the technical ‘offence’ involved millimetres at best and wasn’t interfering and therefore not a clear and obvious error by the referee.

Still can’t see how Pukki was offside, MA...but agree 100% with your closing sentence. If they’re going to be so pedantic and persist with lines across the pitch then maybe the rule should be changed to where the players’ most goal side foot is rather than any body part.

Or put lines on the pitch similar to American football

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Liverpool v Wolves summed up VAR for me. Excellent in it’s use of overruling the referee to allow the Liverpool goal which was neither handball nor offside. Utterly stupid in disallowing the Wolves equaliser where the technical ‘offence’ involved millimetres at best and wasn’t interfering and therefore not a clear and obvious error by the referee.

Still can’t see how Pukki was offside, MA...but agree 100% with your closing sentence. If they’re going to be so pedantic and persist with lines across the pitch then maybe the rule should be changed to where the players’ most goal side foot is rather than any body part.
    Its absolutely ****ing bonkers! But thats us Brits, got to do things differently and in a more excruciatingly pedantic way!

Armpit offside what next, if this isn't changed it will kill the game here.

What really bugs me is the use of VAR for offsides. It really is destroying the moment of scoring goals - goals that with a super slo-mo replay, pixel wide lines and rocking frames back and forth for 2 mins get ruled out. Absolute joke!

Football is meant to be played on a standard sized pitch to standard rules with the on field referees decision as final.
    This applies from Premier League to pub games on a Sunday Morning (hangovers permitting).
    He is assisted by linesmen who genuinely do their best to observe offside, ball crossing lines, foul play etc.
    The higher standard you play, the better the officials are.
    That is a fact, irrespective of what people may say the day after their team received a poor (but genuine) decision.

VAR reminds me of the Jurassic Park quote relevant to technology.
    “Scientists (replace with football overlords) were so preoccupied with whether or not they could they didn’t stop to think if they should”

Can we see if a toenail is beyond the last defender?
    Can we find a way to rule out that precious goal?

I’ve said before and still firmly believe that slow motion video for offside should NOT be used to determine if an official has made a clear / obvious error. By having to slow the action down and draw silly lines, that proves the decision was not a clear error.
    If it can be seen at real time that a player if “off”, then fine - I’d go along with that and a decision reversed.

Remember in the playoff semi second leg at Elland Road, there was an offside (to the current standard) during the build up to the Dallas second goal.
    Did we feel cheated - No, I didn’t because it was too close to call and the benefit was given to the attacker - just as it should be.

I can honestly say that I’d rather VAR be binned before Derby have to suffer the effects of three minute hold ups and holding in the celebration / desolation until some bloke 100’s of miles away with his technology allows (or otherwise) goals for or against.

The fans are singing “Its not football anymore” - Absolutely spot on in my eyes.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)