+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Xmas gifts.

Xmas gifts.

Parents spend a fortune on the kids of today. Are they any happy than us in the old days.
    Most expensive gifts me and my twin had was a new bike each. Most xmas's we had football albums, remember the Charlie Buchans and Topical times, a pair of new boots, tracksuit and a new caseball.

I only got my first bike at the age of 11 and that was only because I was promised one if I passed my 11plus exam and went to Grammar school. This was a pattern that followed throughout my school life. I wanted an air-rifle so I had to come in the top ten in class exams. I wanted a guitar, same again. For my 16th birthday my dad bought me two French-English text books as he thought I was not doing well enough in languages. We did our best for our kids come birthdays and Xmas but when I see what our grandkids and our great grandkids get its practically obscene. Hundreds and hundreds of pounds spent on iphones, Xboxes, Playstations and designer gear and it is easy come and easy go. I never felt like I went without but I appreciated what I was given and looked after it. I remember how thrilled I was when I got my first LP, With The Beatles. Still got it and it still plays ok.

Dandy,Beano and Whizzer and Chips Annuals were my staple Xmas items.

Those along with one “big” present which ranged from a second hand Scalextrics on one year,a cassette/radio recorder when I was 15,a Timex watch when I was 10 and probably my favourite ever Xmas present which was Striker ( where you pushed the player’s head down to shoot or pass )

Most of my players ended up like like Gary Owen and Gladstone Small with no neck!

My perfect Xmas these days is to receive as little as possible rather than have to look grateful for something I think is hideous.

That along with guest turning up without coughs and colds and f u c k I n g off in reasonable time rather than waiting for bedtime drinking chocolate suits me just fine.

Most years end in a family ruck and squabble due to the insistence by my wife of bringing together a collection of people who all seem to have at least one person in the group they can’t stand.

If it was up to me I’d be with the missus in a remote cottage in Cornwall with not another person in sight.

If the wife goes before me I shall take myself off to Alaska or somewhere equally remote at Xmas.

I hate New Year even more.....all that false bonhomie and linking arms with some t w a t you can’t stand or have never previously met!

I’m not the first name in anyone’s party plan list.
    Last edited by mickd1961; 06-11-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Most of my Xmas presents were someone's hand me downs. My old man was a dustman (remember the song?)and he used to bring toys home that people had thrown out and my Mum used to wrap them up for Xmas. I always appreciated everything I got though. How times have changed.

Just trying to think what I had when I were a lad. I know it wasn't an orange. Timex watch. orange trophy football, soccerama, subbuteo, two boxers in which you pushed down some buttons that controlled left/right fists, may have been called knockout? Crossfire, loved this, you would fire ball bearings at a puck, guaranteed to get blisters on ya fingers!!

and some pants

I'm with you Mick. Not an event I look forward to anymore, mainly due to the unwanted presents. I've told my wife and kids I don't want anything this year but they struggle to understand why. It's mainly because I don't want anything. Sock & pants draw is full, an abundance of shirts and other clothing lingers in the wardrobe, I'd rather buy my own beer.
    I wouldn't say I hate the day, children and grandchildren come round and we have a bit of fun but I'd be happier without the Christmas part of it.
    I remember getting Subbuteo for Christmas, also a horse racing game called Escalado I think. Enjoyed both of them.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)