+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Votes, scores and first past the post predictions 12.12.2019

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I think a fair scientific case has been made to say that human behaviour is affecting the climate, but the precise extent of our impact relative to other factors outside of our control is still the subject of genuine debate.

It's probably academic anyway. As I said in a post a few weeks ago, even if the human race can reverse climate change by altering its behaviour, I don't believe we're capable of the collective, worldwide, ongoing, co-ordinated action to do it. Whether it's by misadventure or natural design (probably both), I think we're a finite species.
    I couldn't agree more - good post fella!

I think a fair scientific case has been made to say that human behaviour is affecting the climate, but the precise extent of our impact relative to other factors outside of our control is still the subject of genuine debate.

It's probably academic anyway. As I said in a post a few weeks ago, even if the human race can reverse climate change by altering its behaviour, I don't believe we're capable of the collective, worldwide, ongoing, co-ordinated action to do it. Whether it's by misadventure or natural design (probably both), I think we're a finite species.
    Very true. I think it's sensible to look at it from the viewpoint that mankind without a doubt has had a massive impact on the planets environment and ecosystems and that has likely contributed to climate change as we are part of the cycle of nature. Also on the other hand it would be extremely arrogant of mankind to assume that we are all so powerful beings that we have the ability to single-handedly change our climate for better or worse. Nature teaches us every day that we are powerless against it's force.

Nature works in a fine balance and mankind may have rocked the boat so to speak in terms of the balance, and once we are gone nature will continue to do what it does to maintain it's balance again. There have and always will be fluctuations and changes from what maybe perceived to be the norm and cycles within the earth's climate.

Sadly for mankind our inherent characteristics of individual or small group survival, greed, lack of collective spirit, competitiveness and fight or flight responses and lack of togetherness at the highest level as one group of countries and nations to tackle the issue as a human race will mean that we will never be able to work in unison to make a collective change. All we can do is as individuals is try and play our own part by having an awareness of the issues and assess our own environmental impacts and use of resources and make informed decisions that may go a small way in doing our bit to help.

The current warming of the planet is down to human activity and it’s only humans who can do anything about it. We need to because it’s bad and it’s causing a lot of suffering and expense.

I’m not sure why that’s hard to understand or why anyone would disagree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    The current warming of the planet is down to human activity and it’s only humans who can do anything about it. We need to because it’s bad and it’s causing a lot of suffering and expense.

I’m not sure why that’s hard to understand or why anyone would disagree with it.
    Because humans have curious minds, some more curious than others, many people like to see hard evidence and definitive proof before making such statements of certainty, it is just not in some of our natures to accept things and form our opinions just because it is what we heard first or loudest.

also some don't care very much because we are selfish

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post

To be fair, I'm not sure there are that many people who do disagree with it.

As Lullapie said above, the planet went through phases of heating and cooling prior to human existence so it would be naïve to think that we are the only factor influencing our climate. However, the relative speed with which the current process of global warming is taking place underpins the scientific argument that human activity is a significant contributing and accelerating factor, and with the world population growing, this impact is only likely to increase.

We'll continue to try various ways to avert extinction, probably with increasing desperation, from personal decisions like reducing our use of plastic bags through to huge international agreements, but ultimately we'll fail. Human beings are inherently self-destructive, probably by natural design. I think deep down most of us know our destiny regardless of how slowly or quickly it materialises, but unsurprisingly we have trouble accepting our mortality on a personal or collective level. Nobody wants to confront the fact that we're going to die and there's nothing we can do about it, even though we know as individuals that it's a fact.

We desperately need to feel we're doing something on a personal level to control or avert our fate, so we engage in understandable and laudable but ultimately futile activities and gestures to convince ourselves that we're doing something, rather than nothing. I'm not saying that this reaction is wrong, indeed it may be the best and only coping mechanism we've got, but in the final analysis, it won't change the outcome.

I'm sorry to sound so fatalistic but I just see these things in a pretty matter-of-fact sort of way. We ain't going to be here forever. A comet might sort us all out in the meantime!

Talking of futile activities and gestures to feel we control things, this thread was originally about the General Election!
    Last edited by jackal2; 14-11-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Talking of futile activities and gestures to feel we control things, this thread was originally about the General Election!
    I'm glad you pointed that out!

Just a couple more polls published over last few days.

YouGov sampled 1,619 people on 12 November - CON 42% | LAB 28% | LD 15% | BRX 4% | GRN 4%.

ICM sampled 2,035 people on 11th November - CON 39% | LAB 31% | LD 15% | BRX 8% | GRN 3%.

I will wait until something more substantial is published before updating any charts.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Just a couple more polls published over last few days.

YouGov sampled 1,619 people on 12 November - CON 42% | LAB 28% | LD 15% | BRX 4% | GRN 4%.

ICM sampled 2,035 people on 11th November - CON 39% | LAB 31% | LD 15% | BRX 8% | GRN 3%.

I will wait until something more substantial is published before updating any charts.
    If the margins of error of the polls in recent elections and the EU referendum are applied, this could point to a small Labour majority come 12th December!

If the margins of error of the polls in recent elections and the EU referendum are applied, this could point to a small Labour majority come 12th December!
    Reckon it's going to go to the wire!

On that subject , I see hospital waiting times are at the worst ever level. Doesn't matter, people will still give the party that caused this a majority at the election because getting Brexit done is far more important. Let's get Brexit done, then the waiting lists can get even longer.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast